Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NYPDNick is offline Rookie

The 6-foot wall jump - tips.....

OK men.... - in 9 days I get to jump the 6-foot high wooden wall in San Jose! (I'm flying out there to do this..........)

Are there any similar walls in New York City I can use to practice on? If i could do it once or twice, i'd feel a lot more comfortable about the required technique for getting"over it"

PLEASE, give me any tips you can.......... I'm 5'6 tall!

9volt Guest
    Don't feel like you can't do it just because you are 5'6". Think about all the female police officers. They had to scale the same wall, and most are around your height.

I'd recommend scaling the wall used at the NYPD academy. Most, if not all, academies allow practice runs for candidates. I know you're not testing for NYPD, but you should still be able to use their wall.

nwohsy Guest
    There is no way the NYPD PA is going to let anyone practice for anything in their gym. Security and liability issues are too great. Take a cruise in and around central park. I forget how tall the wall along 5 th av is, that might work. a suitable wall to practice should be able to be found somewhere. Even if it is not 6 feet all practice will help. of course it will be stone, but it will work. 6 feet is really not that big a deal. Your height is really not a handicap. Raise your arms over your head, then make your palms parallel with the floor. Even at your height the point of your palms are still higher than 6 feet. A little momentum, combined with a good jump and pull yourself over. Nothing to it. Until you find that wall you can practice the jump in the comfort of your home.

sigy is offline "I can kill death"
    I've jumped that very wall your talking about at Evergreen Academy in San Jose. It's a wooden wall by the way. Just find any comparable height wall where you are and practice. The are a few different techniques that people use. I just did what felt natural. Good luck!

nypd0124 is offline Lieutenant
    Yeah, there is no way in hell NYPD would allow civilians in their facility or let alone use anything inside. And their "wall" is a mobile fence that is set up in the gym as part of the obstacle course. Not even candidates are allowed to practice. It's a one shot deal for everyone......

Be careful on this 6 ft wooden wall jump. It's not difficult, you just jump, pull yourself over and that's it. Nothing complicated. But be careful not to go too fast and be too high speed. I did that jump for a PD about 7 years ago during a test and was going so fast trying to set some course record that i jumped off the top of the wall, started running before my feet hit the ground and tore my ACL and medial meniscus......set back my career a few years of recovery..... SO TAKE YOUR TIME and make sure you properly stretch and you'll be fine!!!!!!!

OH2FL is offline Officer

Visualize it

Relax, run at it (Not too fast, as mentioned) ~Visualize going over. Once on top, rolling over it, WAIT until you land - take a breath and GO!!

On Chain Link, it's sometimes easier to jump at it with a leading foot to....step up on it?? Is that what I mean?
    I haven't done wooden though, just Chain Link.

Good Luck.

Picture yourself doing it and you will. If you picture yourself NOT making it, or having trouble, you will.... The mind is a powerful thing.

Mike

lightemup Guest
    NYPDNick,
    Yeah you are going to be so amazed how easy the wall will be and how much time you spent worrying about it. When you run slowly towards the wall, lift them arms and jump.. When you throw that body over, land softly on your feet. Then turn around and flip the wall off. This will make you feel better for all of the stress that is has caused you. Then run to then next obstacle. Ok ignore the flipping off part... You will do fine and good luck. Let us know how the dreaded 6 foot wall was to you.

NATE

MtnSchi is offline Cadet
    As others have mentioned, do not think too much about it other than to visualize yourself getting over it.

I'm your height, female, and my upper strength is not as strong as legs. I did not have an oppt. to practice, and the pace set by those monitoring the agility tests did not allow any wavering (or a chance for one to step to the back of the line to watch other candidates' techniques). In front of me, two people really struggled, two others did not make it...and I let my mind race -- oh noooo, how am I going to go about this...?

I believe the will is a mighty thing. I did not race to the wall for fear of losing time while I fumble and stumble and set myself up to get over ;-). I used my left hand to secure myself and swung right leg to hoist myself over, keeping head down. I saw most men have similar techniques, using both arms to lift body over and then swinging legs over to other side. I saw women using their legs more, like a mountain-climbing style, but one tends to lose time this way...

Maybe you can practice at the Evergreen Academy wall when you arrive the night before and choose a technique that suits you. Don't think anything else but the fact that you will "get over"...Good luck!

rove80 is offline Cadet
    Surely a wooden wall is a fence

Rove
    Lead, Follow or get out the way.
    There are two theories about arguing with a woman. . . neither one works
    I may not like the sight of it, but Stevie Wonder sure would

J-WS6 is offline Rookie
    Dont worry about the 6 foot wall. Unless you are very overweight or have no strength, you'll have no problems.

We had to do an 8ft wall in the academy

My local sherrifs dept had a career camp and at then end of the camp, we had to do the obstacle course that had a 6ft wooden wall. I had some problems with it, but I made up for it during the running part. I guess it just takes some practice. I will say my college roomate jumped the wall flawlessly....even the deputy was suprised. I think only his right foot touched the wall, then he was over it. LOL.

zach

SJPD_guy Guest
    The wall is easy. You can practice on the wall once you get there. It is not locked up. Its at the back of the Academy campus next to the portables. You can practice till the cows come home Which PD are you going for btw? Theres also another wooden wall near the soccer field further into the college campus. Check this link and click on "fence climb agility" Good luck

http://www.sjpd.org/recruiting/apply.html

Thanks for the Reply SJPD_guy

Hey man, I sent you a private message!!

BAD NEWS

The wall jump was a disaster! I failed twice! Just got back to NYC tonight. Very bad mood still!

MtnSchi is offline Cadet
    NYPDNick, at least you are gutsy enough to admit it! Don't give up! Did they give you a chance, off-the-time-books, to practice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast