Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Battman2036 Guest

Bomb Appraisal Officer - BAO

Has anyone heard anything about the BAO program? I applied to that approximately 6 months ago at the demands of my FAM uncle, but haven't heard anything, nor do I know who to call. The posting was on USAJOBS, but nothing since.

For anyone not familiar with this, the position is for a Bomb Appraisal Officer at the airports. This jobs is to include training TSA personnel, responding to threats and suspicious packages, an occassional jaunt on an airplane (not sure what for) and general explosives security detail. The position also acts as liason between local bomb squads and the airport.

The jaunt on the plane is something my uncle believes is a monthly thing, but who knows.

esflea is offline Sergeant
    Don't construe this as personal, but why would anyone want to "appraise" a possible IED without having the same gear and protection as a bomb technician? I'm an arson/explosives investigator, and I don't go anywhere near a suspected device until the bomb disposal unit either calls an "all clear" or they disrupt the bloody thing...
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

nsedet is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by esflea View Post
    Don't construe this as personal, but why would anyone want to "appraise" a possible IED without having the same gear and protection as a bomb technician? I'm an arson/explosives investigator, and I don't go anywhere near a suspected device until the bomb disposal unit either calls an "all clear" or they disrupt the bloody thing...
    My understanding is that they are more of an expert opinion to provide guidance to TSA screeners and managers, consult with when screeners see something questionable (as opposed to a clearcut IED image), coordinate between TSA and the responding bomb techs, and provide training. Not too long ago I met one of the folks responsible for setting up this program and he was quite clear that they are not intended to be doing the work of bomb techs.

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    The BAOS are all former Bomb Techs and have all graduated from a military EOD program. "Liaison" is a job doc word. The BAO is first on the scene to evaluate a potential "hot" item in the X Ray well AND they coordinate LE responses with local bomb squads.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

esflea is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    The BAOS are all former Bomb Techs and have all graduated from a military EOD program. "Liaison" is a job doc word. The BAO is first on the scene to evaluate a potential "hot" item in the X Ray well AND they coordinate LE responses with local bomb squads.
    THAT makes a big difference. My office and the local PD's BDU were hearing that BAO's were going to get a bit too close and personal with IED's, and we never heard anything that former BT's were getting selected. I'm surprised--that actually makes sense.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Battman2036 Guest
    I also am of the understanding that the BAO's will NOT be performing any render safe on suspect devices. They did ask in the job posting for experience and certification through either Redstone or the military as a technician. I am unclear as to where the process is, and if I made it through the initial review. There seems to be no place to check on this, nor any site to look up.

They will NOT render safe any suspected devices, but will review the alleged devices while in the X ray environment and utilize their EOD training to advise the local Bomb Squad. There are MANY false reportings and this will greatly aid in reducing unnecessary runs by PD's.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Battman2036 Guest
    That all being said, does anyone have any information concerning this process for such a new position?

Many have already been hired. The BAO Chiefs are based out of TSAHQ and any interviews for the job would have to be done by them. It's a very tight group (read:closed group) and most all know each other from military assignments as Bomb Techs.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Battman2036 Guest
    Just talked to another bomb tech today from Indy. He explained the people hired so far all have prior military experience and noone without it even got a call. The program still hasen't been defined as far as he knows. Unfortunately even though a friend of his got the job, even he doesn't know what he's supposed to do.