Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KippRC is offline Rookie

OPM Federal Investigative Services Division, Special Agents duties?

Does anybody have any knoweledge of what the job functions of the OPM, Federal Investigative Services Division, Special Agents consist of ? I have been doing site searches and google searches only to turn up structure charts. There is a job fair on Friday and Saturday starting at 10:00 on both days for the position. The only thing I know is that they do background investigations. The part I can't firgure out is if the they are classified as special agents are they of the 1811 criminal investigator series or are they just federal duplicates of their contract counterparts?

Bearcat06 is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by KippRC View Post
    Does anybody have any knoweledge of what the job functions of the OPM, Federal Investigative Services Division, Special Agents consist of ? I have been doing site searches and google searches only to turn up structure charts. There is a job fair on Friday and Saturday starting at 10:00 on both days for the position. The only thing I know is that they do background investigations. The part I can't firgure out is if the they are classified as special agents are they of the 1811 criminal investigator series or are they just federal duplicates of their contract counterparts?
    I talked to the POC on Monday. 1810 job, unarmed, you get a laptop and use of a GOV if you are working in certain areas. For the most part, you will be working out of your house and have to come to the office for meetings and such.......

She said the work is background investigations....not sure which ones....but that's 100% of the job you would be doing.

All training with a Senior SA. No schools or nothing like that......I would suspect you would have to do some OPM Training....but that would be the jest of it......

All of the openings for this annoucement is for the DC/Crystal City/NVA area..... T

here are two different announcements for this hiring.

One is "Internship" and at the end of two years, you are hired on full-time. Internship folks are hired on at GS-09 and top off at GS-12.

The other annoucment is for GS-05/07. It tops out at a 12 as well.

It's non-LEO, so it's straight GS pay.

If you send the POC your resume, she will respond with a zip file that has info, how to get to the site, and what to bring. It's first come/first serve from what she told me.....

BTFH708 is offline Cadet

OPM 1810 Background Investigator (Special Agent)

There were a few threads that dealt with this job. Here's the short answers to what you want to know:

Yes to G-ride,
    No to 6c coverage,
    No to LEAP,
    No to carrying a CCW with your creds.

1810 OPM Investigators

1810 carry on job if CCW? and other things.

Here's what the OPM brochure says about the job:

 Conduct background investigations for individuals who require access to classified and/or sensitive information
     Investigate applicant suitability for federal employment
     Meet new people every day
     Conduct personal interview with the subject of the investigation
     Interview co-workers, employers, educators, neighbors and friends
     Conduct record checks at employments, courts, colleges and housing offices
     Interact with various government and law enforcement agencies as well as local and national corporations
     Interview high-level military and public officials
     Investigate controversial allegations and adverse information
     Prepare reports that detail investigation findings
    "Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."

KippRC is offline Rookie
    Whoa thats enough for me. Not to keen on loosing the 6c yet.
    Thanks folks

papimike is offline The kindest moderator
    From past "agents" I've met with this agency, forget all the hoopla and job title, etc. It's a background investigator job, simple and straight forward.

CustomsGS is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by papimike View Post
    From past "agents" I've met with this agency, forget all the hoopla and job title, etc. It's a background investigator job, simple and straight forward.
    But still not a bad gig if you want regular hours where you get out of the office, have federal benefits, and get some experience so that you might qualify for an 1811 job later. About ten years ago I worked with an FBI agent who had started as an OPM 1810.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in "The Shootist".

I just got back from the career fair.....some points I saw if anyone is interested in going. They are looking to hire a lot of folks.....so if you are interested, I would suggest going tomorrow. All jobs are for the NVA area only.

Some things that I observed......and thought I would pass on.

1. When you come in, you will be greeted by a HR person. If you didn't registar online, they will still take you. Just need copies of your resume. I would also suggest bringing an extra one just in case.

2. You will get briefed by a HR person about all the Fed GOV has to offer benefits wise.

3. You will then go into another room and a SA will talk to you more about the job. I had the SAC of the Office do mine.......

4. Which brings me to another point.....if yo go, dress accordingly. As once you get done with the second briefing, they will let you go out and speak to SA's and Senior SA from that office..... Which means if you dress like a bum....you will get treated like a bum. There were at least 2 folks that showed up in jeans and were gone fairly quick.....

5. Once you are done with that....as you are leaving they will glance over resumes and if they are interested interview you on the spot. I was interviewed for 40 mins or so by a Senior SA. After that, you will have to fillout some paperwork......and then you can leave.

Most common questions ask were....."Is this a 6c/LEO job?" and "are you armed?" That would be a NO to both...... The positions they are hiring are for 1810 Background Investigators. You do get a GOV, cellphone, laptop, and printer/fax issued to you so that you can work at home. No weapon....and no carrying when you are on the job. Period.

Depending on your background, they are estimating 3-6 months for folks that don't have clearances.....and 1-2 months for folks that do.

As some have stated, it wouldn't be a bad gig and I will take it if offered.....as (based on background/education/etc...) it can start from a 5/6/7 or a 9.....and go up to a 12.

If anyone has any questions....ask. I was vague on a few things because I didn't want to give away entirely what they do.....as there are a couple of things that I didn't expect.....

CustomsGS is offline Sergeant
    I think that one of these federal 1810 jobs in a reasonable cost city like Dallas or Omaha could be a good way to earn a living. I know many of the readers on this blog are set on a law enforecemnt job, but doing BI's, while repetitive, is convenient for having a family life, gives you some benefits, and allows you to have usually pleasant interactions with the people you meet.

I think I would rather get out in the field and do this than be at a desk for 8 hours each day as an auditor (my apologies to the accountants reading this).
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in "The Shootist".

Dave1068 is offline Sergeant
    Be sure to ask how often they travel to foreign countries to work cases, etc? Since OPM absorbed DSS, their investigators now might serve afloat and overseas.
    "A wise man knows everything, a shrewd man knows everybody"

navy03 is offline Lieutenant
    Probably on an airplane flying to some country on TDY
    As a guy who does repetitive investigations for Uncle Sam in a city with a reasonable cost of living, I can tell you that CustomsGS is right. My schedule is very flexible, I never miss a family function, and have semi-pleasant interactions with some of the people I meet. For example, when my wife was pregnant, I never missed an appointment... not a one. And when my wife had the baby, I was able to take 3 weeks off at the drop of a hat.

Not a bad deal if you ask my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1068 View Post
    Be sure to ask how often they travel to foreign countries to work cases, etc? Since OPM absorbed DSS, their investigators now might serve afloat and overseas.
    This particular job doesn't go overseas. I asked......

They said if there is a need to do that....they pawn it off on other Agents or contractors......but they do not travel other than the local area.....or to go TDY to assist other areas catch up......

And that came from the SAC's mouth......

Double post....

Maggio is offline Cadet
    Incorrect on not going overseas. I am an 1810 with this agency and there is overseas travel if you want it. 6 month minnimum TDY. I know many people from my office who have done this, and one guy is planning on going to Japan this summer. They do not give contractors the overseas work.

nsedet is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1068 View Post
    Since OPM absorbed DSS, their investigators now might serve afloat and overseas.
    Minor point, but OPM did not exactly absorb DSS. It took over that agency's background investigation work, but DSS still exists as an independent agency within DOD that handles various security and counterintelligence functions. Also, DSS investigators never served afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggio View Post
    Incorrect on not going overseas. I am an 1810 with this agency and there is overseas travel if you want it. 6 month minnimum TDY. I know many people from my office who have done this, and one guy is planning on going to Japan this summer. They do not give contractors the overseas work.

I am just going on what the SAC said.....he said no overseas travel for this office.....

Not sure if he was talking about following things up by traveling overseas......or the ablitiy to go overseas to assist on other stuff.

The question was asked several times and that's what he responded....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast