Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

TOSW is offline Cadet

Professional staff for FBI

Hey guys,

About to be a college grad here soon. I am looking at the professional staff positions on the FBI website, and I feel like those are good careers to pursue, especially if I wanted to apply to the SA position after three years. I'll have my degree in Finance and HR Management by December, and I'll be continuously applying to these jobs, but I was just wondering if anybody can give me any advice on whether or not this would help with applying for the SA position down the line? I.E. Networking, getting the work experience, and performing duties/having experiences that will allow me to be competitive for the SA position.

Thanks

Terp21 is offline Cadet
    can't speak from experience, only from what I have heard in numerous other threads

A foot in the door with an agency always helps

Experience always helps

BUT no one will be able to tell you if getting job "X", in this case a professional staff job, now will eventually get you job "Y", a special agent job, down the line...unless they possess a crystal ball

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    Years ago, many Agents gained entry into the Bureau as a Clerk, while going to night school. I had my Finance Assistant, who was a CPA, move across to the FBI as a GS13 Intel Analyst.

These days, get your foot in the door anyway you can. Do a good job for at least a year before even considering the SA slot. Great time to make contacts, get in great shape and find a mentor!
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

gmc1 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    These days, get your foot in the door anyway you can. Do a good job for at least a year before even considering the SA slot. Great time to make contacts, get in great shape and find a mentor!
    I'm currently going through the hiring steps for a SA. Given that the process can take up to two years nowadays, would a Professional Support Position still be recommended? If hired for a PSP, would that put my SA application on hold for a year?

In other words, if hired for a support position, could I still go through Phase II and take a NAT seat if offered, even if it's under a year?

Thanks!
    Last edited by gmc1; 04-03-2012 at 23:41. Reason: Clarified question