Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGreatGonzo

Thread: 911 Dispatcher Hiring Process

duckymcduck is offline Cadet

icon34.gif 911 Dispatcher Hiring Process

Hello,

I just applied for a 911 dispatcher position. Looks like there is as long way to go in this hiring process. I am very intelligent, a great test taker, and wicked-fast typist, so I should have no problem advancing. I noticed that there will be a CVSA examination after the preliminary exams. I have done many different drugs in the past, and I do not plan to lie about anything. I do, however, plan on being completely sober for this job. Do you think it would be worth the trouble to go that far, or should I give up while I'm ahead?

Thanks in advance

Jim1348 is offline Rookie

911 Dispatcher Hiring Process

What drugs, how much, and how recently?

Within the past year: alcohol, pot, shrooms 3 times, acid only once. Between 2 and 5 years ago I did each of the recreational drugs [except for heroin, meth, and pcp] a handful of times. I've also been on antidepressants in the past.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie

911 Dispatcher Hiring Process

At the agencies I am familiar with, they would be politically correct and not tell you this to your face, but behind the scenes they would say that would you have a promising future in the fast food industry!

hahaha

Very well, then. Their loss... and then they go home and drink their alcohol. Funny society we live in.

MrJim911 is offline The Moderators Moderator
    Your drug use is too recent for my agency to hire you, and probably most others. I would say at least 5 years would have to go by before you were considered. And that woud be only if you had tried marijuana. Since you have tried other drugs, and recently, you would not have a chance here. Your drinking alcohol is not an issue assuming you do not abuse it.

It's not going to hurt to continue in the process, but I personally don't think your chances are very good.
    MrJim911

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

TheGreatGonzo is offline Ducks don't wear pants!
    Quote Originally Posted by duckymcduck View Post
    hahaha

Very well, then. Their loss... and then they go home and drink their alcohol. Funny society we live in.
    The law (and society, which makes the laws) makes a very clear distinction between alcohol (legal) and the drugs you took (illegal). This distinction is particularly clear when it comes to hallucinogens. While you may not agree with the distinction, it is a long-standing one, a well known one, and one that has survived numerous court challenges. Anyone who is considering a career in public safety should not only know better, but display better judgement. A few hours of fun can shut a lifetime worth of doors.
    Gonzo
    Slider1 likes this.

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

icon27.gif

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    The law (and society, which makes the laws) makes a very clear distinction between alcohol (legal) and the drugs you took (illegal). This distinction is particularly clear when it comes to hallucinogens. While you may not agree with the distinction, it is a long-standing one, a well known one, and one that has survived numerous court challenges. Anyone who is considering a career in public safety should not only know better, but display better judgement. A few hours of fun can shut a lifetime worth of doors.
    Gonzo
    Thanks for the info! I never thought I would apply for a public safety job... glad I asked.

And the world is a big place, I choose to see only the open doors

GPD605X is offline Cadet
    My department is OK w/ Marijuana (within 1 years use) and Cocaine use but it can't be within the past 3 years. Anything else is automatic disqualification. We had this one girl who came in wearing a raggy t-shirt, blue jeans and already works with a E-911 center and said she smoked meth about 6 months ago... our jaws just dropped. Any serious narcotic is strictly frowned upon.

JimSpoor is offline Moderator
    To the OP: My normal reply is let the hiring folks tell you NO and don't talk yourself out of a job beforehand. BUT.......... you have a very difficult path (and in many cases, impossible) ahead if you pusue public safety careers at this point. Perhaps another field where you could gain experience, a great work history, and staying clean for a few years would benefit you more right now. Only you can decide.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan