Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

ljs
    ljs is offline Cadet

Post 911 Dispatcher Interview Questions

I'm scheduled for a 911 dispatcher interview. I've been trying to locate some sample interview questions with possible answers, as well as scenarios where I have to prioritize the calls in them. Nothing seems to be online. Does anyone know of a site on the web that provides this information? Also, any suggestions for the upcoming interview? - ljs

CPD-Dispatcher is offline The Cool Moderator
    My advice to you is be yourself, dress appropriate and the interview will go in the direction you take it. I never understood why people want to find the questions and answers for for interview questions prior to the interview. The reason they ask you these things, and give you the scenarios is to see how you will react. For most of the questions/scenarios they are not looking for what is the correct answer, they are looking for how you respond to it. If you are the person for this job, it will come out in your interview. If you are not the person for this job, it will come out in the interview. If I ever found out someone some how figured out the questions to an interview I was giving prior to the interview, regardless if you are the best candidate for the job, I would recommend not hiring you. I don't see it as an honest act, and thus the reason for passing you over.

Good luck
    CPD-Dispatcher
    The opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
    those of my wife who runs our house and makes more important decisions
    than I do.

Kegan30317 is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by CPD-Dispatcher View Post
    ..... I never understood why people want to find the questions and answers for for interview questions prior to the interview. The reason they ask you these things, and give you the scenarios is to see how you will react. ...........
    Good luck
    i guess I have a little different take on it. Not having the actual scenerio questions in advance- No problem with that. I would have hoped that they may have played out a few scenerios in thier head at least. But when I have interviewed folks, and I ask them questions like 'why do you want to work here', and the answer is "uhhh, I need a job" or they start bombarding me with questions like "how big is this agency" "what jurisdiction do you cover exactly", or other stuff I would expect them to know before they walk out the door, I'm generally not interested in them. I want some one to WANT the job i have to offer bad enough they would do some research (or a google search at least). No one walks in the door knowing how to dispatch (or police, be in corrections, supervise probationers, etc), but having some idea of the professional responsibilities of the job, career path, etc does show a level of comittment not every candidate has. One question I always ask is "how did you prepare for this interview" and "why did you select this agency to apply to". They had better have some answers to those questions if they want to make it to round two. It almost doesn't matter what the answer is, as long as they have an answer that is not the verbal equivelant of a blank stare.
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley

ljs
    ljs is offline Cadet

Thanks!

Thanks for responding to my questions and my search. I'm not looking for "answers". I wanted to get an insight mostly into how 911 dispatching prioritizes some scenarios so that I could learn and draw from them, depending upon what I'm asked. Yes, I'm new to this field and am very willing to learn...I welcome the challenge. I agree that you need to be yourself and think on you own...no cookie-cutter questions and answers. Most definitely, the person being interviewed must WANT the position, which I indeed do! Thanks again for your help! - ljs

Kegan30317 is offline Sergeant
    Here's an idea- go on line and listen to some scanner traffic, perhaps from the agency you are interviewing with. You might get an idea of what some of these folks go thru on a day to day basis. And by the way, if you want to hear a dispatcher who is cool and calm under pressure, Google the "Hollywood Bank Shootout" and listen to the full dispatch tape. It is about 45 minutes long and is absolutely chilling at times.
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley

CPD-Dispatcher is offline The Cool Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegan30317 View Post
    if you want to hear a dispatcher who is cool and calm under pressure, Google the "Hollywood Bank Shootout" and listen to the full dispatch tape. It is about 45 minutes long and is absolutely chilling at times.
    From my understanding is she was just out of training as well.
    CPD-Dispatcher
    The opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
    those of my wife who runs our house and makes more important decisions
    than I do.