Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Chicago is offline Cadet

Wearing sunglasses at the (any) academy

Hey guys,

When you were at the academy (any level of LE), were you allowed to wear sunglasses while outside? In every recruitment video I've seen, none of the recruits seem to wear them. I have extremely light sensitive eyes and find myself squinting even in overcast conditions if I forget to wear mine. I hope that at whatever academy I end up in they are allowed!

JimSpoor is offline Moderator
    Any responses you receive would be anecdotal at best, especialy because you are not asking about any specific location. Your best option may be to get a prescription from an opthamologist for sunglasses. I can't imagine an academy with a restriction on prescription eyewear.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Chicago is offline Cadet
    At this point I am just looking for input about any academies really as I don't know where I'm going to end up. Thanks for the suggestion, I was wondering if a doctor's note would make a difference. A prescription would be even better!

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    The majority of LE academies still operate in a semi-military setting. In this mode, it is ANY=ALL in most cases. IF they allow sunglasses, ALL would wear them. It wouldn't be 3 wearing and 47 without! If you had medical reasons where you must wear them, that might be an issue to draw attention to medicial 'problems' or a bullseye on you at training.

Perhaps there's a more enlightened operation out there and someone else will advise.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Kegan30317 is offline Sergeant
    Chicago - Not trying to give you a hard time, but if you are that light sensitive, be careful about going into a profession that you have virtually no control on when, where and and under what conditions you might have to work; layer that with the fact you are performing a task that, if not done well, people can die. Consider the scenario where you chase someone at night and they run into a hotel, stadium or other extremely well lit environment- can your eyes adjust fast enough?

If you are NOT that light sensitive, then don't worry about the sunglasses. Put some on, and if they tell you to take them off, take 'em off and never mention it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    Hey guys,

When you were at the academy (any level of LE), were you allowed to wear sunglasses while outside? In every recruitment video I've seen, none of the recruits seem to wear them. I have extremely light sensitive eyes and find myself squinting even in overcast conditions if I forget to wear mine. I hope that at whatever academy I end up in they are allowed!
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley