Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

RezMo is offline Cadet

APA Format Sucks

Hello Everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on which type of graduate degrees do not heavily employ the use of this format in their couse curricula. I think that this format is total bull%^$t as it does not enable the student to actually learn anything aside from how one can legally plagiarize another's work.

The fact that the APA changes the format on an annual basis simply implies that they have their financial best interest at the top of their priority list. Do the math. How many millions of college students are attending school at any given time? The average APA format book costs around $30. By changing the format on a continuous basis; the APA is drastically increasing its revenue, as many college professors mandate that their assignments must be written in accordance with the current format.

Do any of you guys have any similar complaints with this format? Also, any advice or suggestions on graduate study programs that use MLA or some other type of formatting? I simply cannot learn anything with APA.

Sorry for the rant.

Worm is offline Cadet

I agree

During my graduate work I had a research methods class that pounded the APA format into us. There were so many rules to follow it distracted from what I was supposed to learn. APA also has a disk version that you can basically cookie cutter you papers into-or so I have been told. The other classes that I had did not adhear to such a strict format as the APA guidelines. They basically came up with their own system and told you how to reference things. I liked it much better. FYI this is a Safety program with a concentration in Emergency Management. If you are interested PM me and I can give you the details.

IM911 is offline Lieutenant
    During my entire undergraduate I used MLA for all of my core classes then all of a sudden it's time for our research thesis and we get to change to APA. I agree it sucks and it's quite the transition from MLA. Invest in the book, it's worth it.
    You may know where you are and what you're doing, God may know where you are and what you're doing, but if the dispatcher doesn't know where you are and what you're doing; you better have a good relationship with God.

kennethm3 is offline Chief
    You can download APA format macros for Word free from the Microsoft website. Those two page hard plastic reference guides that you find in the bookstore for various subjects for about three bucks are also available for APA format. No major investment for these two things.

j_bentham is offline Cadet
    I felt the same way when I was getting my degree. Over the past few years, I have been using AMA style predominately and for some reason, it has helped me to fully understand APA. I can not tell how however, how much the software program called EndNote helps. It's a program that works in tandem with Microsoft Word and inserts your references automatically in whichever style you choose (APA, AMA, etc.). It can even set up hypertext links to the original document if that document is housed somewhere on the web. I work at a medical center collaborating with principal investogators during clinical trials and I can tell you that ALL of us use it when writing protocols.