Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JonnyBoy092 is offline Officer

CB Radio's - REACT Emergency Team

Hello all,
    I am looking for some insight on the CB Radio's "Channel 9" for Emergency's operator, the REACT Organazation. They are a non-profit organazation ranging all over the United States, with indivisual "Team's" throughout the states. If anyone has any experience or past experience, or even some knowledge you'd like to share about the REACT Organazation, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    JonnyBoy092

"To Serve and Protect."
    -JonnyBoy092

JimSpoor is offline Moderator

icon31.gif

Although in some areas Teams are still active and going strong, this is not the norm. REACT has been in general decline for quite a few years. And this is not limited to the US. There are teams in foreign countries as well. I don't know if there are any up north near you. The REACT web site will most likely have a list of active teams. Although voluntary monitoring of CB 9 is still going on in some areas, many Teams have become community radio volunteers only. Doing disaster aid, local marthons, neighborhood watch during halloween (pumpkin patrol), etc.
    BTW: REACT is more than CB 9 now. Ham radio, internet, GMRS, FRS, are all modes that the teams use to keep in contact. I hope you enjoy being "radio-active"
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

DelC is offline The Wisest Moderator

Lightbulb

Ham Radio has the same type of group that is very active with County, State and Federal Emergency Management Agencies. In fact, they are currently doing their thing in FL right now.
    DelC
    “You never know if quotes on the internet are genuine or not" . . . Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I got in touch with a Team that operates and works in my county.

From what was said, and from what I understand, they are basicly a volunteer police/community policing force on call 24/7, and respond to various emergency's or assistances with local police, county sheriff's, etc.
    The president of the team told me they now have pagers, which they pay for, and everyone gets one. If something happens, they get paged, and off you go. Keep in mind, it's not mandatory, you can go or not go, since it's all volunteer.

He also told me, they now have issued YELLOW strobe lights, and magnet stick-ons for the sides of your vehicle, with the REACT symbol/logo. It's amazing, I guess they have permission from the LE agency's to direct traffic, and make traffic stops if for some reason necessary.

Thought I'd share some information I received by contacing one of the Team's in my area.

Sincerely,
    JonnyBoy092

"To Serve and Protect."
    -JonnyBoy092

icon31.gif

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoy092
    from what I understand, they are basicly a volunteer police/community policing force on call 24/7, and respond to various emergency's or assistances with local police,..... I guess they have permission from the LE agency's to direct traffic, and make traffic stops if for some reason necessary.
    NO, NO, NO.
    REACT is not "volunteer cops" It is a volunteer radio operator organization that monitors CB 9 and other emergency frequencies. They provide communication support to the community and other agencies (Red Cross, local LE, etc) as necessary. Will they provide crowd control and traffic control? Maybe on the local team level but that is not what REACT is intended for. Will they make traffic stops? ABSOLUTELY NOT
    REACT is a fine organization in its own right with lofty and righteous goals. Please don't make it something it is not.

Del,
    Within the ham radio community there are 3 different groups that are sometimes interchangeable and sometimes like oil and water. They are ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service), RACES(Radio Amateurs in Community Emergency Service, I think), and MARS(Military Amateur Radio Service). They all provide voluntary communication support when needed. Closely related but seperate are the SKYWARN group of trained ham operators who also are trained in taking and reporting meteorological observations.
    Last edited by JimSpoor; 09-09-2004 at 14:08. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by JimSpoor
    NO, NO, NO.
    REACT is not "volunteer cops" It is a volunteer radio operator organization that monitors CB 9 and other emergency frequencies. They provide communication support to the community and other agencies (Red Cross, local LE, etc) as necessary. Will they provide crowd control and traffic control? Maybe on the local team level but that is not what REACT is intended for. Will they make traffic stops? ABSOLUTELY NOT
    REACT is a fine organization in its own right with lofty and righteous goals. Please don't make it something it is not.

Del,
    Within the ham radio community there are 3 different groups that are sometimes interchangeable and sometimes like oil and water. They are ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service), RACES(Radio Amateurs in Community Emergency Service, I think), and MARS(Military Amateur Radio Service). They all provide voluntary communication support when needed. Closely related but seperate are the SKYWARN group of trained ham operators who also are trained in taking and reporting meteorological observations.
    Please Note:

I have not been to any meetings, or received the information packet the Team's President is sending me. I'm basing all information in my post above, from what I understand from the phone conversation with the President of the Team. I will not have a good, clear view of the program itself until I attend one of the meetings, coming up next weekend.

Thanks for correcting me Jim, take care!

Sincerely,
    JonnyBoy092

"To Serve and Protect."
    -JonnyBoy092

LA Express is offline Moderator
    Don't worry, Jim. I think you have to be old enough to drive before you can make a traffic stop.
    --LAE

DoD NucE is offline Lieutenant
    Just something else to add. Also note that I've been watching a lot of officer safety stuff in DT lately including a few fatal traffic stops so my view may be a little skewed right now. But even IF which I can't see happening, but IF a volunteer organization was allowed to make a traffic stop for some reason, why would you want to? Traffic stops are the number one cause of line of duty deaths according to the stats that I have been given. They are dangerous even for those that are properly trained, and that training can take 40 to 80 hours conservatively, so why would someone with minimal training want to undertake a traffic stop? I think it's great that you want to get involved in the emergency services and eventually in LE JonnyBoy but at your age my advice would be to concentrate on learning by watching not doing. Granted I am still an academy grunt with nothing but a bunch or ride alongs (before being hired) for LE experience, but even what I have learned thus far has changed my opinions on some things. Learn everything you can and get involved with those activities that truly interest you, but don't try to bite off more than you can chew. Good luck.

Oh BTW Jim: The RACES people helped us out on our last big WMD drill. They are a great bunch of people and their assistance and equipment was very useful especially with the jammed up airways that invariably result in any large scale incident.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind"

"I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference"

Just like to add another note:

I don't drive cars your correct... I go along with my parents, who are part of the organization. For Traffic Stops, I am sure that I was wrong, I misunderstood what the President of the Team said, and even if we DID make a traffic stop, I wouldn't leave the vehicle, that's common sense. It's a good program for me, help direct for parades, accidents and other emergency misc.

Take care!

Sincerely,
    JonnyBoy092

"To Serve and Protect."
    -JonnyBoy092

Thumbs up

Alright all I thought i'd inform you:

Last night I went to the first meeting of the REACT team near me. I sat through a meeting, they went over things as usual, and explained things to myself and my parents.

I ended up signing up, and I have my interview and I will go in front of the Board, and be voted in or not in about a week or so. The head of the Board, I was told, will contact me shortly to set up a time. If I am voted in, I will be assigned a unit number, assigned supplies/equipment, etc.

After that is all complete, I must go through a probationary period, of 6 months in which time I will respond to calls, with a full time member, so they can get a feel of how I work and react on the job.

I'll keep you all informed as time goes on, and new steps in the process occur.

Sincerely,
    JonnyBoy092

"To Serve and Protect."
    -JonnyBoy092

Dave Guest
    Respond to calls?

This sounds crazy to me. Is this part of the police department?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Respond to calls?

This sounds crazy to me. Is this part of the police department?
    No not at all.

They are a international volunteer organization. When I say respond to calls, I mean responding to calls to help close a road, direct traffic, etc. assisting the local law enforcement, EMS, Fire, etc. For example, alot were called out to NYC on 9/11 and alot are heading down to Florida to help with the Hurricane Relief.

Dave, PM me or email me at JonnyBoy092@gmail.com if you want further info on it.

Sorry all, if you mistaked this as a actual LE type unit. It's a emergency, volunteer group/team.

Take care,
    JonnyBoy092

"To Serve and Protect."
    -JonnyBoy092

icon31.gif

Sorry I went ballistic with the font and stuff. I've had a stressful couple of weeks and apparently it was spilling over.

CPD-Dispatcher is offline The Cool Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSpoor
    Sorry I went ballistic with the font and stuff.
    Ya my eyes hurt now !
    CPD-Dispatcher
    The opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
    those of my wife who runs our house and makes more important decisions
    than I do.

MrJim911 is offline The Moderators Moderator
    In my area we utilize ESDA (Emergency Services Disaster Agency). They are volunteer, but they don't have the option of NOT responding. I don't understand why a police department would want to utilize an agency that has the right to say, "Nah, I don't want to come out to direct traffic on that huge accident you guys are dealing with, bye." I certainly wouldn't waste my time if I had other resources to call that I am certain would get a positive response.

And don't worry Jim, the traffic stop comment made me jump a little as well.
    MrJim911

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast