Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AArmento Guest

Gwinnett County, GA Police

Does anyone know the average time it takes to complete the application process before you are accepted to the academy? I applied last Thursday, June 9 and was wanting to expedite the process if possible. Any ideas?

AArmento Guest

Also...

Gwinnett is offering a $2000.00 signing bonus. Does anyone know if most departments gives this up front or if it is added to the first year's annual salary? Also, my first question may be answered by taking an average of all other agencies. How long did it take at other departments where you are?

Squirrel_62 is offline Officer
    I have several friends, all POST certified police officers with experience, who applied to Gwinnett in early April and they received conditional offers in Mid-May, pending poly, psych, and medical. They would have been expecting to start in Late July/August had any of them decided to accept.

You really can't take an average of other depts., for example, two of those above-mentioned friends started the process with Cobb County in January, but Cobb fired their Chief in Feb., so the hiring was postponed so that they are just finishing the process this week (expecting final job offers).
    -Can you look yourself in the eye and honestly say: ''I have never, while high on crack, driven a bank-robbery getaway car into an elementary school?''

trenni Guest

Gwinnett County PD

I am currently in the next academy for Gwinnett, which start on June 27th the next one is in October. I came from out of state so It took me about 6 months for the process. If you live in Geogia the process is very fast, and can take anywhere from 3-4 months. As for the sign on bonus, you'll get $1000 after 6 month and the other half when you complete another 6 months.

killa75dt Guest
    I just applied on the 6th. got a call on the 16 of June, to set up test dates. Seem they are very fast to hire you if you can meet their requerments and willing to give the time.

good luck:

AArmento Guest

I Got It!

I got the call I was waiting for. I'm scheduled to take the test on 7/8. If I pass, I will have a 4 hour backround orientation following the test. I can't wait. I'm studying the guide they have online.

SBG
    SBG is offline Rookie
    Any updates from you guys applying to Gwinnett County?

I have to go next week to do the Background Orientation(didnt have to do the written, since I have a college degree--Thank goodness) Just wondering what to expect on the Background Orientation?

Thanks

204 is offline Cadet
    Gwinnett PD is ok, but if you put in with Cobb they are worth waiting for. Cobb is by far the best all around to work for in Georgia. Gwinnett has some admin. problems and has a hard time keeping up with crime trends county wide. Stick with Cobb and you will be happy.

SBG
    SBG is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 204
    Gwinnett PD is ok, but if you put in with Cobb they are worth waiting for. Cobb is by far the best all around to work for in Georgia. Gwinnett has some admin. problems and has a hard time keeping up with crime trends county wide. Stick with Cobb and you will be happy.

I have heard that Cobb is very hard to get on with- for guys starting out at least. EX-They want ex-military, LE experience, etc.

ViceCityCop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SBG
    I have heard that Cobb is very hard to get on with- for guys starting out at least. EX-They want ex-military, LE experience, etc.
    Not to hijack the thread too much but what about Dekalb and Henry County Police departments?

SBG
    SBG is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ViceCityCop
    Not to hijack the thread too much but what about Dekalb and Henry County Police departments?

I am in the process with Dekalb right now. I passed the physical and written and I am scheduled to go for my Background Orientation next week.. Not sure exactly what it is, but something along the lines of an informal interview and more paper work --

Dekalb seems to have it together and is my first choice.
    Dont know about Henry Co.

204 is offline Cadet
    Deklab has had a lot of internal and political type problems in the past, a lot of good people have left. They are indeed a great department police wise but you may end up leaving becuase of interna problems. Dekalb is very fast pased and most areas are high crime. The majority of officers are black as well as the general population if that matters to you. No take home cars in Dekalb. Dekal'bs academy is VERY tough. I still recomend Gwinnett and Cobb over Dekalb. Henry doesnt pay that well to interest me. I think that if you have a degree or prior LE or both then stick with Cobb as your first choice, much better department all around than anyone in the Georgia, Gwinnett would be my second over Dekalb any day.

SBG
    SBG is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by 204
    Deklab has had a lot of internal and political type problems in the past, a lot of good people have left. They are indeed a great department police wise but you may end up leaving becuase of interna problems. Dekalb is very fast pased and most areas are high crime. The majority of officers are black as well as the general population if that matters to you. No take home cars in Dekalb. Dekal'bs academy is VERY tough. I still recomend Gwinnett and Cobb over Dekalb. Henry doesnt pay that well to interest me. I think that if you have a degree or prior LE or both then stick with Cobb as your first choice, much better department all around than anyone in the Georgia, Gwinnett would be my second over Dekalb any day.

Just checked out Cobbs website and they seem to be a great dept-great benefits, equiptment, etc. I might just go ahead and applyw with them also. Not sure of my chances since I dont have any prior LE experience, but who knows. Do you know if they are hiring Officers now?

204 is offline Cadet
    Yes they are. A friend of mine just got with them. He has a degree in business and 2 years as an officer with a small rural city department in Georgia. If you have a college degree your chances are much better.

1L122 is offline Cadet

Cobb salary

I 've seen on the Cobb Co website that first year officer's earn about 36,000 a year. Can anyone in the know advise on what a typical first year Cobb County Officer's salary is? My Dept advertises 46, but nobody makes less than 60 the first year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast