Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

LibraLavaLamp Guest

How old do i have to be to become a undercover cop?

In New York. I'm 18 now.

TEXASBPA Guest
    You have to get a job as a cop first. You do your time in patrol then you can usually test/apply for PC/detective slots within a department. It sounds as if you may need to do some research on the LE career field. Check out some of the books reccomended by this site and search all the old threads here to get all the information you can.

LibraLavaLamp Guest
    ouch.....yikes.
    can't wait to do undercover.
    ok thanks, I'll look up this up right now.

LibraLavaLamp Guest
    Does anyone know if undercover cops operates under the normal radio Frequencys that i can hear from my radio scanner?

DelC is offline The Wisest Moderator

Lightbulb

Undercover officers don't have radio's. Detective and plain clothes do, but not undercover.
    DelC
    “You never know if quotes on the internet are genuine or not" . . . Abraham Lincoln

LibraLavaLamp Guest
    ok thank you alot.

ssween2 is offline Lieutenant
    In the NYPD you can do undercover work for detective squads, such as Narcotics, as an officer. My friend volunteered for undercover work, put in his time.......I believe 18 months, and got his gold shield. He is now a narcotics detective in Midtown North. He still does UC work.....he loves it. At DOI our investigators regularly do undercover work, some units more than others. The work is out there, but you need to get the job first!

BasementAddix is offline Sergeant

I was told by alot of cops...bosses...etc...

That i have the perfect look to become a UC...im 22 but i look alot younger....they call me the perp at the precicnt where i work as a cadet (because of the way i dress and talk off duty)...i grew up in the city (Queens)...and i know my street junk for the most part....i was told not to be surpirised if i was thrown in a unit real quick...or even pulled from the academy to do some junk...i'd have nothing against that....i think i might enjoy something like that....

K9 Police is offline Bite and Hold Moderator
    A couple years ago an undercover cop went into my old highschool and pretended to be a student for a good month and then all of a sudden (at least in the eyes of other students) he busted a good number of teens for drug use and transactions. Hardly anyone knew he was undercover, even the teachers didn't know. Looking young CAN have an advantage I guess.

The school was still having trouble with drugs and truancy, so when the PD decided to open their new headquarters, they decided to move right next door to the high school.

At least they are proactive.

K9

CustomsCop is offline Moderator

Re: How old do i have to be to become a undercover cop?

Originally posted by LibraLavaLamp
    In New York. I'm 18 now.
    I think you need to be 22 before getting hired by the NYPD as a cop.
    "Last week I stated that this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister and now wish to withdraw that statement. "
    -Mark Twain-

BasementAddix is offline Sergeant

to enter the academy now....