Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: LAPD Laterals

wvutdre79 is offline Cadet

LAPD Laterals

Just FYI, I was recently informed by LAPD Recruitment that they now accept the CA POST Basic Course Waiver for out of state laterals, which is a change from 18 months ago or so. I'm still working on getting the details as far as additional hoops that must be jumped through, compared to CA laterals. Any LAPD folks here meet an out of state lateral yet? Was there any comment (beyond being thrilled to have a job) as to the process?

Nuklhed is offline Cadet
    That's cuz they have about 720 openings that they are having a hard time filling.....

they also have got rid of the requirement that you have never been within 7.5 miles of anyone possibly smoking some weed or thinking about smoking some weed...hahahaha

I think you are still allowed one dirty thought per year also..

Just Livin' The Dream!!

wvutdre79 is offline Cadet
    Here are the basics, according to City HR and the Recruitment folks:

Any out of state lateral can complete the CA POST Basic Course Waiver process and upon completion, fax their certificate to HR to begin the lateral hiring process (no written, no essay).

Laterals get paid 1 step increase for every 2 years of service, to a max of step 4. Max step includes education bump.

I was told that it's a 4 week training program before FTO.

LAPD won't help you get the CA POST "legislatively mandated" courses the waiver will require that many of us won't have. They suggested some training academies to me.

Basically, once an out of state lateral gets the waiver, he can expect everything a CA lateral would get from LAPD.

JI603 is offline Rookie

lapd

Does LAPD still require 5 years of service before leaving, or instead forcing one to pay back a pro-rated portion of the training costs?

Last i heard there were a few lawsuits against guys who left before the 5 year (signed in hiring contract) limit was up...

Kahuna5150 is offline Da' Kine Moderator

icon22.gif

Quote Originally Posted by JI603
    Does LAPD still require 5 years of service before leaving, or instead forcing one to pay back a pro-rated portion of the training costs?

Last i heard there were a few lawsuits against guys who left before the 5 year (signed in hiring contract) limit was up...
    Someone from LAPD can confirm this, but I think the only time an agency can *ATTEMPT* to come after you, would be to recoup the cost of the academy and the salary you were paid while in the academy. As a lateral, your update training and FTO doesn't count. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try and get a contract out of you, but I would imagine that would be even less enforceable than the academy one...

Kahuna
    Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

mustang67 is offline Rookie
    the lapd has a class action lawsuite against about 50 former ofcrs from the dept regarding the payback of acadamy cost. if ur a lateral and then leave the lapd, as far as i know, they dont go after you.

the problem is that many guys are leaving the dept for a dept that treats there ofcrs better and the citizns dont flip you off and make bogus complaints against you just for fun.

i work at pretty much the hardest and fastest division in the dept (its one of the south end divisions).. and last month, we had 5 people from the division leave the dept for other depts. moral is really low at my div which we can thank IA and the command staff for that.