Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

SrA Scott Guest

Question LAX airport police

I'd like info about this position and whether or not they might be accepting apps for the job.

I have mixed opinions about the job and whether or not it's something I'd like to do, but then again I really don't know much of anything about it.

Any current info about hiring is gratefully appreciated. The threads I've found so far are a little dated already...

Scott

FedAgent is offline Sergeant

LAX

LAXPD is a full service PD that definitely rocks! They helped me on an arrest one evening and I can't say enough good about them. They were VERY courteous and offered more help than was required of them. The whole time I was in their station the calls for service were rolling in. All the officers seemed very content with their jobs. I'm certain any large airport PD/authority would prove a very eventful career of policing. I know there is certainly no lack of interesting calls for service for APD at the Atlanta airport. I could only imagine LAXPD...
    Stay safe!

FedAgent

SrA Scott Guest

Thumbs up Thanks for the info!

Where and how do I apply..?

governor is offline Just a Moderator
    This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defeat. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Jeff Rambo is offline Rookie
    If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me.

We just got our exam & testing results back from the May exam period. Of 1500 or so people, I ranked 7th with 23 others. Between the three police departments (Airport, General Services and Port) that hire from the city eligible list, my chances seem pretty good.

I've gone on 2 ride alongs with each department and one with LAPD last night (RIP, Jeff). So I have quite a few different opinions on all three departments you would be applying to if you went thru with an application as well as various opinions from officers at the "larger" city PD.
    Stay Safe,
    J. Rambo
    ------------
    Sine Pari

EagleEye is offline Officer

Aviation background helpful?

I'm just wondering: How much will an aviation background help in getting this kind of position? (I hold a Commercial Pilot's license & Flight Instructor certificates).

Part of the reason I ask is that I'm getting the impression from some of my interviews with municipal & sheriff's departments that it's actually a negative. They can't seem to accept the idea that someone with these credentials wants to make a career change into LE.

But, hey...the job market for pilots is a mess right now and I'm at the point where I've had enough of flying anyway...and I just want to follow this other dream of being a police officer. (I phrase it more tactfully than that in the interview, of course). Still, I'm wondering if an airport PD will have the same doubts about me as the other departments apparently do.

SrA Scott Guest

Unhappy ???

I'm in quandary about this job and whether or not to pursue it.

JR, you sound like a sharp guy and say good things about these departments and I've learned much from reading your posts on this subject.

On the other hand, a grad student friend of mine at CSU who's been going through the LAPD process tells me it's not a good gig. At lunch the other day I asked her about it and she told me, "the turnover's high for LAX and Port Police, while the entry requirements are less stringent than for LAPD. Haven't you wondered why that is?" I didn't know what to say.

So, I'm not sure what to believe.

Who do I contact and where do I call to do a ride-along at LAX..? Maybe that will clarify matters for me.

Thanks to all (esp. JR,) for your continued assistance...

Scott

LAPDguy Guest

Re: ???

Originally posted by SrA Scott

On the other hand, a grad student friend of mine at CSU who's been going through the LAPD process tells me it's not a good gig. At lunch the other day I asked her about it and she told me, "the turnover's high for LAX and Port Police, while the entry requirements are less stringent than for LAPD. Haven't you wondered why that is?" I didn't know what to say.
    Well, LAX police have issues with turnover because the job can be repetitious and a lot more boring than regular police work. From what i've heard they do a lot of security detail and traffic enforcement. Plus i'd assume things are more political in that type of setting. LAX does interact with LAPD quite often so they do get out of their immediate area to do "normal" LE work.

I can't confirm or deny this but i've also heard a lot of the recruits they hire tend to be older than the average 25-26.
    Last edited by LAPDguy; 10-27-2003 at 16:43.

SrA Scott Guest

Question

Where do they go for their academy..?

LAPDguy Guest
    Where do they go for their academy..?
    Rio Hondo, i'm not sure if this is where they send all their recruits though..

SrA Scott Guest
    I thought RH was a Community College...

...there's an academy there?

militarywannabe Guest
    I thought RH was a Community College...

...there's an academy there?
    Yes, many smaller Los angeles county depts send their recruits to that academy.

Jeff Rambo is offline Rookie

Follow-up to some questions...

The turn over rate at LAX is very high. I've seen it first hand in only 9 months. I would say it is mainly due to job related stress and as contradictive as this may sound, the stress exists mostly because the job can be very boring at times due to the controlled area that the Airport presents. Because it is such a controlled area, you often find yourself executing non-traditional LE responsibilities that will drive you crazy.

But at the same time it will give you serious opportunity to develop your skills as a young police officer due to the laid back environment. That is mainly due to the fact that once you take care of your day to day functions in and around the Airport, you can expand out to the Manchester Square (the "mini-projects") area, which is still your 'jurisdiction' and make your drug & gang related arrests. Hit Century and you have Prostitution. You can back Inglewood PD & LAPD on calls within reasonable distance and you can also go out and explore looking for your own stuff to get into and find it rather easily being in the Inglewood/Westchester communities.

The job is honestly what you make of it. If you are looking to get out there for the life on the beat feel and to handle 911 calls, it isn't the job for you right now. They may begin to handle 911 for Manchester Square in the near future, but as of right now they do not handle 911 calls. So aside from dispatched calls, you will be doing everything strictly on observation so the job is indeed what you make of it.

As far as the Port P.D. having a high turn over rate, I have not heard anything along those lines and I would not put any weight in someone telling me that unless they were Port PD. I've been on 3 ride alongs with them and have seen and heard nothing but good things. They are an established small sized agency moving forward and are not dealing with any growing pains.

The Airport on the other hand could be summed up as a medium sized agency that is still trying to define itself and has a lot of political red tape associated with them. I will be honest though, I would take a job offer from them in a heart beat. I am all for paying my dues and based on what I've seen, I honestly feel that I could make the best of the situation.

PM me with any specific questions you have. Being in the hiring stage, I do not want to alienate myself too much by speaking the truth. But I cannot help but to be honest & straight forward even if it does mean my chances are being hurt if what I have to say is being seen by someone with hiring authority. I'll be honest, but not too honest.

By the way, as far as ride alongs go. If you PM me, I will give you the phone #s of the people you need to talk to for each department.

All of this may be moot at the moment as well, the last test for these 3 PDs was in May. Not sure when the next testing period will be. http://www.lacity.org/per/exams/exam3183.htm

Regarding the Police Academy: Rio Hondo's Police Academy is the primary academy for all three departments. Yes, Rio Hondo is a community college but as previously said, most academies are taught on college campuses for smaller agencies. I've also had many LAPD officers who have praised the tac staff at Rio Hondo and the curriculum they are instructing.

As far as someone asking why the hiring requirements are at a minimum. I understanding the reasoning for that question, but at the same time the true answer lies in the fact that the sworn position at all three of these departments evolved out of what was traditionally a security guard position. The hiring requirements for security guards remained in place even when the classification for these positions was switched over to civil service/sworn police (peace) officer status. Thus one reason you find these to be the only three POST agencies in CA that will (consider to) hire sworn police officers at 18 versus 21. The youngest officers I've seen (on the street) is 19, 1 ea. at LAX and the port.

Any questions, feel free to ask...
    Last edited by Jeff Rambo; 10-28-2003 at 06:12.
    Stay Safe,
    J. Rambo
    ------------
    Sine Pari