Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Midtncop is offline Captain

NYPD Detective promotion and pay, How does it work?

Correct me if I am wrong. A detective in the NYPD is an appointed position. Does this mean that at any time they can be bumped back to patrol without cause? In addition,according to a web site I visited, A NYPD Detective 3rd grade is paid higher than a Police Officer is but lower than a Sergeant is. A NYPD Detective 2nd grade is paid the same as a Police Sergeant and a NYPD Detective 1st grade is paid NYPD Lieutenant pay. Is this correct?

What if a 1st grade Detective wants to have rank like Sergeant or Lieutenant would they have to take a cut and test for Sergeant and then move up? Is a sergeant a higher rank than a 1st grade Detective? Is the Detective grade system set up so if you choose the career path of Detective you will stay in it and not move into the rank system? How are you promoted up the Detective grades? What if a 1st grade Detective is demoted would they go back as a Police Officer.

I know there are many questions in this post. Please feel free to take your time in answering them. I would appreciate any insight.

lestat is offline Sergeant
    i THINK (bad i know ) that after 18mos in an investigation position civil service law mandates that a cop must be appointed a detective and can only do detective work. in theory the detective bureau is separate and distinct from patrol. i also think that once you're a detective and take a promotional exam, you stay in the bureau but have a new rank.

i was never in the bureau, just a lowly foot post before i left, so everybody was above me.

papimike is offline The kindest moderator
    I AM A DETECTIVE MYSELF -- 3RD GRADERS MAKE A BIT MORE THAN POLICE OFFICER -- 2ND MAKE ABOUT SGT'S PAY -- 1ST GRADERS MAKE ABOUT LT'S PAY - - DETECTIVE IS AN APPOINTMENT, IT IS THE SAME RANK AS POLICE OFFICER, REGARDLESS OF GRADE. -- YES TECHNICALLY, YOU COULD HAVE THE TITLE YANKED FROM YOU AND BECOME A POLICE OFFICER AGAIN -- AFTER 3 YRS AS A DET THE CITY HAS TO REALLY GO THROUGH A PROCESS TO DEMOTE YOU -- ON PAPER, A 3RD GRADER IS A DETECTIVE , A 2ND GRADER IS A DET WHO SHOULD BE VERY, VERY GOOD AT CONDUCTING INVESTIGATIONS, A 1ST GRADER SHOULD BE A SUPER SLEUTH ABLE TO SOLVE ANY CRIME -- IN REALITY, A 3RD GRADER IS A TYPICAL HUMP AND GRUNT IN THE TRENCHES DET DOING A LOT OF HARD WORK, A 2ND GRADER IS A CAT WHO KISSED SOME BUTT TO GET THE PROMOTION AND A FIRST GRADER ALSO A REALLY GOOD KISS ASS -- OF COURSE THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS, THERE ARE SOME VERY GOOD 2ND AND 1ST GRADERS OUT THERE -- YOU WILL SEE THAT MANY 1ST AND 2ND GRADERS ARE FROM OR ARE IN UNITS LIKE THE MAYORS PROTECTION DETAIL --- ON PAPER YOU GET GRADE AFTER SEVERAL SUBMISSIONS OF APPROVAL BY YOUR SQUAD SUPERVISOR, REQUESTING YOU GET GRADE. ---- TO SHOW YOU 3 VERY DIFFERENT EXAMPLES OF HOW FOLKS GOT GRADE, I HAVE ONE GUY HERE WHO GOT GRADE BECAUSE A DEPUTY COMMISSIONER IS HIS NEIGHBOR AND HE MOWED THE GUYS LAWN AND TOOK HIM OUT TO DINNER EVERY NOW AND THEN FOR A BOUT A YEAR AND THEN ASKED FOR IT, ANOTHER GUY GOT IT JUST BECAUSE HE HAS BEEN ON THE JOB FOR 20 YEARS AND THEY THREW HIM A BONE, ANOTHER GOT IT BECAUSE HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR BURGLARIES AND HE IS THE MASTER, HE MAKES ABOUT 100 BURGLARY ARRESTS PER YEAR --- ALSO KEEP IN KIND THAT WITHOUT A HOOK IT SHOULD TAKE YOU ABOUT 15 YEARS TO GO FROM 3RD GRADE TO 1ST GRADE, IF WE LIVED IN A PERFECT WORLD.

Midtncop is offline Captain
    Originally posted by papimike_888
    -- AFTER 3 YRS AS A DET THE CITY HAS TO REALLY GO THROUGH A PROCESS TO DEMOTE YOU --
    Is it as hard a process as it would be to fire a police officer or demote a sergeant?

WELL, LET'S JUST SAY THAT THOSE FIRST 3 YRS AS A DET YOU ARE ON PROBATION--SIMILAR TO YOUR FIRST 2 YEARS ON PROBATION AS A POLICE OFFICER.. OVERALL, YOU WOULD HAVE TO REALLY SCREW UP BADLY TO GET DEMOTED.

Fletch is offline Cadet

Question

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a civil service exam to become a Detective in NYPD? I am pretty sure that LAPD has an actual civil service exam to promote to the rank of Detective. It's almost a fork in the road in a career. Either take the road patrol sergeant's exam or take the Detective's exam. Then once you're promoted, you can be assigned to a bureau.

I worked for a large department in Miami and neither my department nor any other department in the southeast has a testable Detective position with civil service status. Some departments issue a detective badge (mine did not) but it was still a lateral transfer with no extra pay. You could be reassigned back to patrol at the drop of a hat. You also had to have a godfather on the department looking out for you to get that transfer. On occassion it was based on merit, but RARELY. Like most things, it's who you know.

I always felt this was unfair and unprofessional. Our department claimes to be the best in the southeast, but still refuses to emulate the structure of a larger department like LAPD (and I thought NYPD). Too much of the good ole boy system (in Miami it would be the Cuban good ole boy system). If you're out of the clique, you're career will go nowhere regardless of education or training. The only hope you have is to take the sergean'ts exam and move up the ladder in road patrol. It's the one thing the department can't deny you.

IT TOOK ME TEN YEARS OF CHASING THAT DAMN GOLD SHIELD BEFORE I GOT IT -- THERE IS NO CIVIL SERVICE TEST.

--SERVE 18 MONTHS IN A UNIT THAT THE DEPT CONSIDERS INVESTIGATIVE AND BY STATE LAW THEY HAVE TO PROMOTE YOU TO DETECTIVE -- THIS IS POLICY IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF NY--EVERY DEPT.

--TOKEN NOTE: THERE ARE MANY UNITS THE DEPT DOES NOT CONSIDER INVESTIGATIVE, BUT ACTUALLY ARE INVESTIGATIVE -- THIS IS THE WAY THE DEPT GETS AROUND, NOT HAVING TO PROMOTE MANY MORE THOUSANDS TO DETECTIVE

Fletch is offline Cadet
    Well, it's good to get the answer from someone who's "in the know."

rammx32 is offline Sergeant
    In regards to one of their executive protection units, I met someone who works for an ambassadors protection unit and he said nypd def. has the best one he has seen from his experience.

jtrees Guest
    Hey Papimike,

If you had to do it all again, say put your self in my shoes. wearing the grey polyester shirt and carrying a 50 lb bag every where I go.

What is the best way for me to go about getting into an investigative unit and therefore making detective. I know....Concentrate on graduating first . But while I am day dreaming on the train into Manhatten, Are there any precincts that you can go to in order to get detective faster. What about units that you don't need a hook to get into. Thanks for your help.

Jason

rammx32 is offline Sergeant
    18 months in street narcotics will earn you your gold shield if you make it alive I hear

WELL, AS OF NOW AND AS ALWAYS -- THE FASTEST WAY IS AS AN UNDERCOVER IN OCCB-NARCOTICS.

YOUR BEST AVENUE IS TO AT LEAST GET OUT OF FTU - PROBABLY OFF OF THE 2 YR PROBATION ALSO, THEN TAKE SOME VACATION -- TAKE A PICTURE OF YOURSELF LOOKING AS MUCH NOT LIKE A COP AS POSSIBLE -- THEN GO TO 1PP - GO TO I BELIEVE THE 12TH FLOOR --OCCB/NARCOTICS--GO TO THE SPECIAL PROJECTS UNIT OFFICE-- ASK FOR AN UNDERCOVER APPLICATION, FILL IT OUT, ATTACH YOUR PHOTO AND SUBMIT IT.

ALSO, TRY CALLING SPECIFIC NARCO UNITS THEMSELEVES AND ASK TO SPEAK TO A SGT OR LT OR CAPT. -- EVERY NOW AND THEN WE RECEIVE FAXES FROM NARCOTICS UNITS ASKING FOR COPS WHO WANT TO BE UNDERCOVERS. THE SPECIFIC UNITS LEAVE THEIR CONTACT NUMBERS TO APPLY. -- BASICALLY THEY WANT TO LOOK AT YOU AND TALK TO YOU TO SEE IF YOU COULD BLEND IN AS AN UNDERCOVER. -- BOTTOM LINE, YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO BUY DRUGS FROM LEARY DRUG DEALERS

WITHOUT A HOOK -- TO MAKE A NAME FOR YOURSELF -- ACTIVITY, ACTIVITY AND INTEGRITY. ARRESTS , SOME SUMMONSES (KEEP IN LINE WITH WHATEVER EVERYONE ELSE IN THE COMMAND IS WRITING) AND STAY HONEST, ETC... DONT GO SICK TOO OFTEN OR AT ALL.