Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

bullet126 is offline Cadet

police and color vision

are their any police agencies in the midwest that have no or relaxed color vision requirements? thanks

chipjumper Guest
    I have a color-blind friend who lived to be a PO here in Michigan. He went to his eye doc to get the basic checkup and couldn't do the tinted plate test (can't remember the exact name of the test). The doctor told him that he was so bad that he didn't even charge him for the visit.

It all depends. He did some research into this because this was a lifelong dream---both of his parents are/used to be PO's. I did some research too into MCOLES records and found a few cases that were brought to the commision and were granted. You might have sue---thats what a few people have did and won. I believe one case was in Dearborn. My friend ended up giving up on it...I think he still depressed about it two years later.

Check the MCOLES commision meeting minutes or search if you can.

Good luck!

DelC is offline The Wisest Moderator

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bullet126
    are their any police agencies in the midwest that have no or relaxed color vision requirements? thanks
    Yes, there is. Usually the smaller the dept, the more relaxed they are. However, it depends on the severity of your color deficiency, as one would need to be able to distinguish red from green. Best to check with the dept’s you’re interested in. You might be able to establish whether you would qualify or not, before doing a lengthy app process.
    DelC
    “You never know if quotes on the internet are genuine or not" . . . Abraham Lincoln

EagleEye is offline Officer
    Some insight from one who has been plagued by color vision problems himself:

The most commonly used test, and the one to which you refer, uses what is called a pseudoisochromatic plate: Figures, letters or numbers hidden within a field of dots. It's also known as the Ishihara or H-R-R test. It is primarily a screening test, and is not the most precise one available. It is widely used because it is (a) simple to administer and (b) cheap. Its main weakness is that it is dependent on the kind of lighting used when it is given...daylight or a specific type of incandescent is best. Not everyone knows this (including some doctors). The plates can also become faded over time, which reduces their accuracy.

If you can't pass this test, there is an alternative. It is called either the Farnsworth D-15 or Farnsworth/Munsell 100 Hue test. You have to hunt around for these, since the equipment is not readily available and is also rather expensive. I managed to find the FM 100 at a local county medical center here in NY. They told me that they frequently give this test to LE candidates because most NY agencies (Corrections, University Police, etc.) accept these results from those who can't pass the Ishihara. FWIW, I passed the FM 100 with, er..."flying colors" (forgive the pun) whereas I stumble through the other kinds of tests. It also set me back just over $200, but it's worth it.

As mentioned earlier, check with the agency to which you're applying and find out what specific color vision tests they'll accept.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.

EE

richjorg is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye
    If you can't pass this test, there is an alternative. It is called either the Farnsworth D-15 or Farnsworth/Munsell 100 Hue test.... FWIW, I passed the FM 100 with, er..."flying colors" (forgive the pun) whereas I stumble through the other kinds of tests. EE
    Ditto for me I cannot pass the Ishihara or the Farnsworth 15, but I can pass the Munsell 100. Luckily for me the CA DOC administers the test. The results said I have a "moderate" color deficiency.

The only time I have ever mixed up red and green was on tiny little lights on my DVD palyer and a phone at work.

Good luck.