Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    H. Schoolboy is offline Captain

Psych Test, what to wear?

Do I have to wear a suit to my psych test/interview? Will Khakis and a button down suffice?
    Last edited by H. Schoolboy; 10-04-2004 at 11:55.

kenpoist Guest
    Actually, I'd go with a pink tu-tu, leg-warmers and a top hat. That always makes a good impression when filling out the MMPI.

Seriously, it depends on if your agency has out-sourced the psych to a private office. If so, then business casual is usually just fine. If it's done at your field office/HQ/ect. then I'd still go with the professional look. You never go wrong looking good.

UR2NYSP is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Schoolboy
    Do I have to wear a suit to my psych test/interview? Will Khakis and a button down suffice?
    a few similar posts about this sort of thing out there:
    http://www.911jobforums.com/vB/showt...588#post254588
    the concensus is when in doubt, suit up, unless instructions specifically dictate otherwise (even then some people opt for the suit).
    first impressions are very important, whether they are with your background investigator, psychologist, polygrapher, etc.
    whether you have to or not is up to the agency -- whether you should or not is up to you.

b

H. Schoolboy is offline Captain
    I am going to suit up. I just had a mometary laspe of laziness.

will2335 is offline Sergeant
    most of the people who were there when I went were in a suit, remember that you will be meeting with the psych and you need to make a good impretion.

saltygrl Guest
    Every psych interview that I've been to I've worn a suit. I was also told that whenever you deal with any department unless told otherwise you should wear a business suit. Example: They tell you to wear PT clothes for the PT test or comfortable clothes for the poly (meaning business casual).

sigy is offline "I can kill death"

DANNO 5-0 Guest

icon29.gif

It is always better to be over dressed than under dressed. No matter what position you are going for you want to present a professional image.

pointblanke is offline Rookie
    For mine a wore a shirt, tie and straight jacket
    "Wait 5 days for a gun? But I'm angry now"- Homer Simpson

Irishcopper is offline Officer
    When I got hired for my first LEO position as a Probation and Parole Officer in Louisiana, I had to take a four hour psych test called the Matrix in Baton Rouge. It included the MMPI, several other written tests and an interview with a psychologist.

I wore khaki trousers, a pressed shirt and ropers (Low heeled cowboy boots for you city boys ) The psychologist wore Wranglers and boots, but was very thorough and professional. If I had worn a suit I would have felt out of place. I guess it all depends on where you live or who is hiring you. When in Rome.......etc..... etc.

Irishcopper

DANNO 5-0 Guest

Suit / Suit / Suit

Dress for success, not like your going to the barn to feed the pigs.

Irishcopper is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by DANNO 5-0
    Dress for success, not like your going to the barn to feed the pigs.
    Danno missed my point entirely. Have you ever been outside of the five boroughs? Does that mean if you are from New York you need to wear some big gold chains with an open collar? Sorry, Danno, but it sounds like you wouldn't know what to feed the pigs or which end to feed them from. Sorry, but you deserved that!

Be safe doing what ever you do in the Big Apple!

Irishcopper

trackstar16 is offline Lieutenant
    Perhaps it's a NYC thing but I agree.... up here.... you can NEVER go wrong in a suit for these kind of things.

My suggestion... know your element... if you know in your city or state that a suit for whatever reason might be out of place, then tone it down.

Up here... throw on a suit and you'll never go wrong.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

trackstar

trackstar16 is offline Lieutenant
    Wanted to add.... DC is fairly similiar to up here... hence I'd say suit.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

trackstar

revenge of dano is offline Officer
    Yeah I wore a burgundy jump suit and had my crew drive me to the Psych in a yellow Cadillac Fleetwood.

Let’s make a deal. You won't feed the pigs in overalls and a straw hat and we won't wear satin shirts and chinos while doing the Hustle on a light-up dance floor!

By the way, Yankees 2 Red Sox 0. I'm headed to the closet to get my broom ready for the SWEEP. What should I wear for that? How about this nifty number:

In all seriousness, unless otherwise instructed, wear a suit. Here's a few more do's and don'ts that are sometimes overlooked.

1. Dress conservatively – no flashy ties.
    2. No unnecessary adornment (like jewelry) unless it is a wedding band or something of important sentimental value.
    3. Deodorant YES, Cologne NO.
    4. Shave and a Haircut
    5. Groom your nails (often overlooked)
    6. Shine your shoes and make sure the belt matches the shoes (Brown Belt, Black Shoes = Bad)
    7. A breath mint wouldn’t hurt

For the NYPD process, you will be amazed to see how some people are dressed. It boggles my mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast