Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tbta

g.stone is offline Officer

Tbta

Anyone have info on the Tri-borough Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA)?

hiring, o/t, days off, etc...

Alexander is offline Sergeant
    They are human traffic cones that write 200+ summonses a month.

g.stone is offline Officer
    Thanks for the insight...I'm sure Alexander didn't mean any disrespect to TBTA. Why don't we just bash everyone out there then(?)

If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Fuerza is offline Rookie
    I don't know much about the job firsthand, but you can find a description from an expired civil service announcement here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/pdf/bridgeandtunnelofficer.
    All I really know is that they are armed peace officers with somewhat limited arrest powers. Law enforcement is only one of their responsibilities, which also include collecting tolls and plowing when it snows. I see them all the time doing traffic stops at the Verrazano, and I've even seen them make arrests a few times (I'm guessing for drunk driving, although I'm not really sure). Hope that helps. Maybe someone who knows more than I do will come along and give a better answer.

Fuerza is offline Rookie
    The link that I posted doesn't work. Go to the nyc civil service site at nyc.gov/dcas. When you get there, click on yearly schedule on the left side of the screen. Then click on the second open competitive link(the first one is for current exams). When you're there in the archived announcements, scroll down to the public safety and inspection section and click on Bridge and Tunnel Officer for a description of the job.

pintsizedpi is offline Sergeant
    a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. they are hated enough that there is a website devoted to their demise. Mostly pissing matches with port authority and a lack of respect many TBTA officers display towards local MOS.
    -pint!
    "Impossible is a word found only in a fool's dictionary. " - (Napoleon)

Qnsguy718 is offline Cadet

icon29.gif Tbta

Hello, I am a NYC TBTA officer. I work for the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel authority and we are known as BTO's ( Bridge and Tunnel officers ). We are all armed peace officers and are allowed to carry off duty as well. We have arrest powers in the entire state of New York. We issue summonses on our facilities and effect arrests many times daily for various offenses ( DWI, 511's, GLA's, assaults). Our job functions are many, they include the collection of tolls, summons writing, arrests, traffic direction, tow truck drivers and snow removal. We have a unit which is like highway and consists of Crown victorias, Impalas and slicktop Tahoes. There is talk of us having a K-9 unit started as well in the near future. The RDO's are rotating and the schedules are 7x3, 3x11 and 11x7 at most locations. Our facilities include the Triborough, Throgs Neck, Whitestone, Henry Hudson, Verrezanno, Cross Bay, Marine Park bridges and the Midtown and Battery Tunnels. The starting salary is now 34,500 I believe topping out at 53K after 5 years, there is also unlimited overtime available without a cap. There are bad apples which sour it for all the good officers but that is the story in every agency in the country. I am interested to know the site one poster mentioned which badmouths us. I have never had a problem with any MOS- I see your an MOS my response is "Have a nice nite". I think I covered everything but if there are still questions I will be happy to answer them.

TheGreatGonzo is offline Ducks don't wear pants!
    Qnsguy178,
    First of all, welcome. Secondly, thank you for providing some insight and accurate information based on actual experience. I'm sure the original poster appreciates it.
    Gonzo

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

papimike is offline The kindest moderator
    I've had countless experiences with TBTA officers. They have officers just like any other law enforcement agency -- some are good and some are bad. Some are nice and some are buttholes. -- Just like any other agency.

Overall, my experiences have been good. Heck, I recall the days when they were not packing heat and were getting robbed at gunpoint at the the toll plazas on a daily basis. Then the slow fight to get guns to some members while on duty. Then the fight for all members to pack. Then for off duty carry. --- Job well done by the TBTA union.

In the past, I hadn't respected the TBTA officers. I saw them as toll booth collectors who couldn't carry because they weren't police officers, hence forth they have no gear that says "Police", only "Officer". But again with my eyes wide open, I began to notice them down at Central Booking and in the precincts with arrests (DWI, GLA, CPW, Assault, etc.).

And just like most departments these days, they are expanding. New vehicles, working with MTA PD and other agencies, etc.... And the OT factor is amazing -- you CAN make a living if you want to.

trackstar16 is offline Lieutenant
    Any word if the shift from Peace Officer to Police Officer is still trying to happen? Or has that been shot down? Just curious, since I remember this being debated to the assembly & senate before.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

trackstar

cadet11220 is offline Rookie

Tbta

When are they hiring??? Or Next exam???

Qnsguy718 is offline Cadet

icon20.gif Tbta

Hello, I just want to say thanks to all who have welcomed me here. I appreciate it greatly. There was a large push by many officers to gain police status, but many are fine with being peace officers. The authority and the MTA have nothing to gain by titling us police, they get alot more for their buck by keeping us peace officers. There are agencies such as the department of homeless services (DHS) and hospital (HHC) which title themselves police, our authority has not titled us police for various reasons regarding liability issues. At my facility we rarely interact with MTAPD, they are rarely ever there but at others like the Whitestone bridge or the MIdtown tunnel they are there all the time. The equipment as PapiMike mentioned is getting better everday, our cruisers and uniform options are better today than years ago. Back then only select officers patroled our facilities in horrible vehicles which were not uniformed-( some yellow, some white, some blue). I was not around back them, I have only been on the job for a short time (2 years to be exact). As PapiMike also mentioned there are alot of officers today which are pro law-enforcement and are visiting the precincts and courts on a regular basis. A TBTA lieutenant I ran into at Manhattan Criminal court mentioned to me that he was glad to see more active guys, that same day along with myself and the LT there were 2 officers there from the Battery tunnel and one from the Midtown tunnel- all for various criminal cases. Its an alright job and I try to make the most out of it. Some people like to take tolls and not be bothered by anything else, I am not one of them and think the job is okay. There is a push however to gain 20 and out, that would be great and would allow me to retire at 43..woo hoo. anyway, I hope I answered most of the questions and again I appreciate the warm welcome

PS: A test was given late last year, so there probably wont be another one for a while.
    Last edited by Qnsguy718; 02-21-2005 at 19:26.

rtmcqueen is offline Cadet
    Hi, I'm on the list for BTO L#low 1300's, what are my chances of being called and what was the hiring process like,

qben1811 is offline Cadet
    I love the TBTA Officer that waves me through the HOV lane when I go into the Midtown Tunnel.

stay safe

Malone is offline Lieutenant
    A friend of mine is in the high 500's and I believe he is going to be in the April class. I hope that helps.

Malone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast