Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CMSM904 is offline Rookie

CBP Enforcement (6c) Officer position a go

Any other current CBP officers notice the announcements lately for Enforcement Officer ? They were posted in TECS daily news. San Ysidro was
    the first posting about two weeks ago. There is one for Dulles (D.C.) airport in there now.

A current Enforcement Officer at the port where I work at recently met with our DFO (who is on the panel in HQ for the "new" CBPE position). Our union reps also met with the DFO recently and also confirmed some of these things as well.

Here's what we know thus far ;
    1. There will six "test" ports for the "new" position (SY and Dulles being two).
    2. Current 1895 CBP officers in the local area only will be eligible to apply.
    3. Officers assigned to CTRT, PAU, or proficient in Immigration "cases"
    (i.e. lots of turns, etc...) will be competitive.
    4. Hiring will be through the field office, not HQ.
    5. Uniforms (silver bar insignia) worn at the POE, plain clothes outside POE
    (surveillance, court, etc...)
    6. Will be working closely with ICE S/A's, maybe prosecuting drug seizures
    at POE's. This is still up in the air.
    7. ICE is willing to give up some of their POE duties to the CBPE's.
    8. Goal is to create a "highly motivated" team of officers similar to the old
    CET teams of the 1980's which did more "high-speed" things as opposed to
    ATCET today.

If I hear anything else I'll post.
    Last edited by CMSM904; 05-20-2005 at 10:26. Reason: incomplete

Forgot one last thing.

The reason why the position has not been filled since the merger is that HQ and FLETC have come up with a formal training course for Enforcement Officer. Will be 3-4 weeks.

FEDDAWG is offline Rookie
    I currently work at a major aiport and I have heard some rumors but nothing in writing. I know that last year they were talking about a cbpoe program and that some ports including my port were part of the testing program. I hope this time it becomes reality. There are a lot of CBP officers looking into this position. CBP should approve this program and make it permanent. Aside from going to a team (CTRT, PAU. CET), there are no incentives to stay as a CBP uniformed officer. Having a permanent 6c covered position will prevent a lot of good and qualified officers from jumping ship to other agencies. I am currently assigned to CTRT and I also have CET experience so I will be applying as soon as the anouncement opens.

Thanks for the info and keep us posted/

DHS K-9 Guest
    That's some really good news to hear. I don't know if we in Buffalo are one of those ports, but I hope so. I am working in the AT-CET role with my K-9 right now, and think that would be something to interest me enough to drop leash. Thanks for the information, I had forgotten about this rumor since it came out.

SouthernINS1811 Guest
    This is certainly a good development for CBP. I know that INS had Senior Inspectors that were covered, but is this a first for those on the Custom's side of the house? Does it come with a grade increase?

Good luck to those of you who put in. No reason in the world this shouldn't be a good gig that benefits the officer's and management. I'd imagine it will be a morale booster to have a new path to a covered position without having to leave CBP.

19USC1589a is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by FEDDAWG
    I am currently assigned to CTRT and I also have CET experience so I will be applying as soon as the anouncement opens.
    CET = Contraband Enforcement Team
    A-TCET = Anti-Terrorism Contraband Enforcement Team
    CTRT = ??????????
    Last edited by 19USC1589a; 05-20-2005 at 13:18.
    "...when communities are terrorized by ICE immigration raids, when nursing mothers are torn from their babies, when children come home from school to find their parents missing, when people are detained without access to legal counsel..." - President Barack Obama

CTRT= Counter Terrorism Response Team

19USC1589a is offline Officer
    So what's the difference between A-TCET and CTRT?
    "...when communities are terrorized by ICE immigration raids, when nursing mothers are torn from their babies, when children come home from school to find their parents missing, when people are detained without access to legal counsel..." - President Barack Obama

Robocop is offline Sergeant
    CTRT= old Customs Rover Team combined with Legacy INS Rovers. They work with passengers.

AT-CET= old CET Team. They work cargo and conveyances.
    Short steps, far view, bad intentions!!!

ATCET currency teams who work at airports also deal with passengers. But mostly everybody in CET works inspecting cargo and conveyances.

icon29.gif

This has been floating around for some time now. Immigration has been operating with the system for years. Now, as proposed, the Customs Enforcement Officer will assume ICE's role in processing smuggling cases. Rumor is that all border enforcement cases will eventually transition over to the jurisdiction and responsibility of CBP, leaving ICE to focus on enforcement activities on the interior of the U.S. Of course, ICE would still be involved in the major cases, but the majority of it would be left to the new Customs Enforcement Officer, from interrogations, to consultation with U.S. Attorneys in persuit of prosecution. All in all, it doesent sound like a bad gig. Leaves us lowly "non-law enforcement" CBPO's a way to get 6C without having to change agencies. Stay safe all.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

We'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American Way. - Toby Keith

g.stone is offline Officer
    CMSM904

What is the date in TECS that this message is posted?

DHS K-9 Guest
    Ya know I just read it today, and I cannot say with 100% certaintity, but I think it was last week sometime. It starts off with the byline of "Lateral Reassignment.....something something something." I didn't see any anouncement for Dulles, but I did read the one for Skid Row in San Diego. Sorry for the hazy details, but I am RDO for the next two days.

Message for San Ysidro openings posted on 4/28, Dulles openings 5/17.

I saw both announcements yesterday. It looks like this is really happening. Hope they get to pick some legacy Customs for this position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast