Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    JSmith26 is offline Cadet
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Northern VA.
    Posts
    67

    CIA Protection Positions

    A friend of mine who does not have immediate acces to a computer asked me to post this:

    Does anyone have any info on the CIA Protection Group? I think the name he refered to was GRS-Global Response Service.

    Before I read all the dont post Op-Sec details posts I am only looking for info on hiring ie. requirements, process, etc.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Pfrankow's Avatar
    Pfrankow is offline Sergeant
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    back home
    Posts
    438
    I've been interested in the CIA for many years- the history, operations, structure, etc. I have NEVER heard of this GRS. CIA does have its own "cops". SPS- Security Protective Service.

    http://www.cia.gov/employment/jobs/s...ctive_off.html

    I remember applying for a position years ago with the agency, and the metal detectors and entrances to parking lots were manned by these guys. They looked like rent-a-cops. Even the cars had a deliberate "security company" look and feel. The only glaring differences was the MP-5's they carried.

    This GRS sounds like fiction. Then again, I've been wrong before.

  3. #3
    TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    TheGreatGonzo is offline Ducks don't wear pants!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    ...a bar in far Bombay.
    Posts
    2,631
    Uhhhhmmm...perhaps your friend is a little confused? Global Response Service (GRS) was founded to assist developing nations with internal disaster preparedness and mitigation. GRS is a 501c3, non-profit charitable organization whose mission is to support and assist in the restoration and creation of international fire/rescue and emergency medical institutions while promoting and advancing fire/rescue and emergency medical technology, disaster preparedness and cooperation overseas. It is a non-profit organization located in Herndon, VA.

    Physical protecion for CIA facilities and personnel is provided by the CIA's own police force...the CIA Security Protective Service. SPO's are federal police officers.

    Gonzo

    "You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

  4. #4
    Pfrankow's Avatar
    Pfrankow is offline Sergeant
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    back home
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    located in Herndon, VA.
    Aha! A CIA front! Might as well be located in Reston!

  5. #5
    TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    TheGreatGonzo is offline Ducks don't wear pants!
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    ...a bar in far Bombay.
    Posts
    2,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfrankow
    Aha! A CIA front! Might as well be located in Reston!
    Have you been reading Tom Clancy books again?!? How many times have I warned you?!?
    Gonzo

    "You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

  6. #6
    Rogerdodger's Avatar
    Rogerdodger is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    92
    The last time I saw an opening for this position was approximately 1 year ago. It is called GRS.

  7. #7
    CColema4 is offline Officer
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by JSmith26
    A friend of mine who does not have immediate acces to a computer asked me to post this:

    Does anyone have any info on the CIA Protection Group? I think the name he refered to was GRS-Global Response Service.

    Before I read all the dont post Op-Sec details posts I am only looking for info on hiring ie. requirements, process, etc.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Never heard of "GRS", however, CIA police/protection/security comes in the form of the Office of CIA Security, which is comprised of mainly Security Protective Officers (SPO) and Multidisiplined Security Officers (MDSO).

    SPO are the uniformed, police/security force of the CIA, GS-0083s akin to the Capitol Police and Supreme Court Police, etc...however think 99% security, 1% or less actual law enforcement. They have some special teams like ERT, K9, HazMat, etc. MDSOs are plainclothes personnel that are akin to GS-0080s in the rest of the federal govt. They do personnel security (BI, poly, clearance adj.), physical security (threat assestments), counterintelligence (CI analysis, financial investigations, computer investigations), and finally, Protection (detail for DCI (maybe DNI?), and high threat intelligence assets).

    SPOs are located at Langley and expect little to no movement from there (any "secret" facilities I dont know about and wont ask, you'll have to find out once in the agency I guess). MDSOs however, have the possibility of worldwide work, as they travel with the DCI on protection, and travel to conduct BIs. Also, just as embassies have an RSO to advise on security, many CIA stations have an MDSO-advisor. Also there are opportunities at Langley to become an "Area Security Officer" for sections in the agency, like the Ops Center or in the DI or DO.


    All this info came firsthand from an Agency recruiter, so I take it with a grain of salt, but overall, I am thinking the SPO and MDSO might be what you are looking for.
    Optimist Drowns in Half-full Tub

  8. #8
    uptownfed's Avatar
    uptownfed is offline Officer
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Not too far away
    Posts
    346
    SPOs dont ONLY work at Langley. nuff said

  9. #9
    jack475 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by uptownfed
    SPOs dont ONLY work at Langley. nuff said
    I think some were detailed at the grassy knoll. shhh...

  10. #10
    CColema4 is offline Officer
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by uptownfed
    SPOs dont ONLY work at Langley. nuff said
    I am sure this is true, but lord (and those with an SCI clearance) knows where those other locations are.


    I do know that I grew up 5 minutes from the famed "The Farm" and only saw MPs at the gate...if the CIA has additional security inside...well, hmm.
    Optimist Drowns in Half-full Tub

  11. #11
    DS2501 is offline Officer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Md
    Posts
    244
    Former SPO here. I've worked at numerous locals besides Langley. Most folks in the neighborhoods of the sights know who occupys the space. I distincly remember one pizza delivery bubba showing uop at the gate with the adrees and "new CIA buidling" in brackets to help find the address.

    GRS- Global Response Staff. Does exist to do numerous stuff including High threat protection. You go thru a 10 week course called SPOC (Special Protective Operations Course) Good stuff. The DCI's Security Staff (SS) Detail folks go thru SPOC also. There are both full and part time GRS positions. Folks are generally recruited into them from the inside or are recruited in from other agencies. Could be credentialed as a SA for CIA for domestic work... usually DCI SS or now DNI SS.

    OK no opsec stuff I can see here. But MODS feel free to edit as you see fit. I will not comment further on GRS.

    Happy Thanksgiving! Tony
    The poster formerly known as DSSAGENT"

  12. #12
    CColema4 is offline Officer
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by DS2501
    Former SPO here. I've worked at numerous locals besides Langley. Most folks in the neighborhoods of the sights know who occupys the space. I distincly remember one pizza delivery bubba showing uop at the gate with the adrees and "new CIA buidling" in brackets to help find the address.

    GRS- Global Response Staff. Does exist to do numerous stuff including High threat protection. You go thru a 10 week course called SPOC (Special Protective Operations Course) Good stuff. The DCI's Security Staff (SS) Detail folks go thru SPOC also. There are both full and part time GRS positions. Folks are generally recruited into them from the inside or are recruited in from other agencies. Could be credentialed as a SA for CIA for domestic work... usually DCI SS or now DNI SS.

    OK no opsec stuff I can see here. But MODS feel free to edit as you see fit. I will not comment further on GRS.

    Happy Thanksgiving! Tony

    So, opsec notwithstanding, GRS = specially detailed SPO/MDSO?

    Happy TG!
    Optimist Drowns in Half-full Tub

  13. #13
    uptownfed's Avatar
    uptownfed is offline Officer
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Not too far away
    Posts
    346
    You wont always see these guys in uniforms either. You'll never know who they are. Not trying to spook anyone, but there is MUCH more to being an SPO than what you would initially see at the gates,etc.. at langley

  14. #14
    CColema4 is offline Officer
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by uptownfed
    You wont always see these guys in uniforms either. You'll never know who they are. Not trying to spook anyone, but there is MUCH more to being an SPO than what you would initially see at the gates,etc.. at langley
    Its the CIA, I believe it.

    off topic, but the NGA - National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, is currently hiring for Police Officers, I'm sure the job is akin to 0083s at DIA, NSA, etc. But they have already started calling for interviews.
    Optimist Drowns in Half-full Tub

  15. #15
    papimike is offline The kindest moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,331
    -- I recall pre 9/11 talking to an SPO working here in NYC -- no uniform -- he was working, but in travel status (meaning not based out of NYC) , some type of protection duty


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •