Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

satpak77 is offline Chief

FBI seeks language speakers...

Discusses linguists but you can be assured Agent candidates with these languages are desired

Did I say Spanish on this forum before ?

Read my lips, let me also get my Big Chiefs pad out, and draw it. SPANISH will ALWAYS be sought after by 1811 and state and local agencies. ALWAYS until the earth ends and dinosaurs return. Did I say "Spanish" and "Always" ?

FBI seeks speakers of foreign languages | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

The FBI is seeking qualified job candidates who can speak foreign languages during a job fair later this week at Houston Community College.

The job fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday at the college’s conference center at 3100 Main, according to the FBI.

The languages currently most needed by the FBI are Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Dari, Hebrew, Farsi, Korean, Pashto, Somali, Spanish, Tigrinya, and Urdu.

Qualified candidates must have strong oral and written English skills as well as proficiency in a foreign langauge needed by the FBI. They also must be comfortable using basic computer applications, be a U.S. citizen and have lived in the United States for three of the past five years.

The FBI has nearly 1,500 linguists worldwide. More than 95 percent of them are native speakers of their language.

“FBI linguists play an extremely important role in keeping America safe,” Larry Wallace, FBI Houston Foreign Language Program Manager, stated in a news release announcing the job fair. “It’s a job opportunity that promises to be both challenging and rewarding.”

FBI linguists work a variety of interpretation and translation assignments. They also offer cultural awareness to FBI agents, intelligence analysts and other FBI employees.

FBI linguists begin as contract workers but may later be hired full-time. Contract linguists can work part-time and earn between $21 and $41 per hour, depending upon their foreign language and level of proficiency. They would work from their local FBI field offices.

FBI language managers and linguists will be at the job fair to discuss the positions available and to pre-screen potential candidates.

FederalCO is offline Rookie
    Well that is good to know. I'm working on increasing my Spanish proficiency for my current job. There is a lot of competition though with 45 million people who can speak Spanish in the US.

Spanish is next to urdu and Farsi....that is funny.

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    And I got in with with a 3+ in Klingon. But then again, I was recruited by Agent Mulder.
    That is the law. . . according to the rules.

thisguyjc24 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Traveller View Post
    And I got in with with a 3+ in Klingon. But then again, I was recruited by Agent Mulder.
    What in the world......???
    Book 'em Dan-o.

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    Those ears were a dead giveaway.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

ajftw is offline Cadet
    Just curious, would someone that is a 3/3 or higher in Listening and Reading be looked at more competitively for an SA position? I'm planning on applying as an SA and an IA; I'm an Arabic linguist/intel analyst with the Army. Speaking isn't really part of my job, nor have I tested in it since language school.