Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rjgolfer is offline Sergeant

FBI vs. DEA- Quantico Training

I have taken a look at the website(s) and noticed a some apparent differences in FBI and DEA training. Obviously the primary missions are quite different, so I leave that aside.

What are some particular differences that you all have noticed, especially those of you at Q? I.e. firearms, classroom training, driving, etc.

Or, another way to phrase the question... what particular areas of emphasis result in a DEA graduate that is somehow different from an FBI graduate? (again, obvious mission differences aside)

thanks
    RJ

Kimble is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by rjgolfer
    I have taken a look at the website(s) and noticed a some apparent differences in FBI and DEA training. Obviously the primary missions are quite different, so I leave that aside.

What are some particular differences that you all have noticed, especially those of you at Q? I.e. firearms, classroom training, driving, etc.

Or, another way to phrase the question... what particular areas of emphasis result in a DEA graduate that is somehow different from an FBI graduate? (again, obvious mission differences aside)

thanks
    RJ
    If I'm not mistaken, a DEA agent who is a member of these forums (I won't name names, but his initials are "G9" ) who was also in the FBI prior to his current agency. I suspect he may be along shortly with the insight you're looking for.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Society prepares the crime; the criminal commits it." -Chinese proverb

careful

Careful Jose. Your next post will put you at 666. Possibly skating on thin ice numerically.

RJ

PEACE is offline Chief
    Ill let G9 and the other more knowledgable mmbers of the board get into the specifics, but from where I sit, the differences are due to ...

Culture, culture, culture.

Oh, and for what it is worth, FBI doesn't do TEVOC any longer.
    Better a hundred enemies outside the tent, than one inside.

- Arabian proverb

cpwclarke is offline Captain
    For anyone wondering, TEVOC stands for Tactical Emergency Vehicle Operations Course.

Too bad they don't do it anymore, that sounds like fun.
    I conclude that no circumstances exist that would permit Congress, in contravention of the Constitution's Bill of Attainder Clause, to prohibit non-registered males age twenty-six and older from federal employment for their lifetime without judicial decision making - U.S. District Judge Douglas P. Woodlock; Jan 26, 2009

culture

Hmmm. I hear that alot. Does anyone care to expound?

PM is fine with me if you feel it may result in some sort of negative banter. I.e. a thread closing in the future due to personal comments.

thanks

Group 9 is offline Sergeant
    I would like to be able to tell you what the differences are today, but my information is pretty dated (I went through one in 1988 and the other in 1991). Back then, the training curriculums were a lot more alike than I hear they are now.

And, now, although DEA's mission is still pretty much the same, the FBI's mission is a lot different than when I was in. I am probably a better historical reference than a good indicator of what to expect at either academy today.
    Speed, surprise and [low tolerance for non-compliance].

taxman is offline Rookie
    I believe there was a discussion not too long ago expounding the differences. If I recall it was summed up like this:

DEA treats recruits in training as potential agents.
    FBI treats recruits as though they are agents.

Jaws8817 is offline Cadet

Potential vs. actual

That has merit since FBI starts its SAs as GS 10's. Does anyone know why there is a difference in starting pay grade between two obviously similar agencies?

910G23 is offline Rookie
    So Jose, Brute strenght meaning the FBI and Cognitive thinking meaning DEA?

Group 9 is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    DEA side of the house is a little more paramilitary in nature. More like a traditional police academy. Black BDU pants and boots as opposed to khaki 5.11's and hikers. DEA side of the house pops to attention for Instructors, etc, whereas FBI side of the house does not. Just a different atmosphere, but nothing huge. You walk side by side in the halls and eat side by side in the chow hall. Same team, different uniforms.
    Gonzo
    At least the FBI has gone to the 5.11 pants. They used to have just plain old khakis with baby blue golf shirts. Pretty lame back then.

And, I don't think they eat together any more. That's why I'm not sure what goes on over at the FBI side these days. The times I have been up for an in-service, since the new DEA academy building, I pretty much stay on the DEA side except to go the gym (which still looks pretty ratty for what you would expect the FBI and DEA to have).

Of course, both were much tougher when I went, walking up hill to and from class, freezing snow, unbearable heat, etc.
    Speed, surprise and [low tolerance for non-compliance].

TheGreatGonzo is offline Ducks don't wear pants!
    Quote Originally Posted by Group 9
    Of course, both were much tougher when I went, walking up hill to and from class, freezing snow, unbearable heat, etc.
    Yeah, me to! And we weren't allowed to wear those little sissy black spandex shorts under our PT shorts. We had to wear those tiny little silk running shorts with all our gear hanging out!

Guess you can tell it has been a while. I forgot the narcs had their own building now. Is it Section 6 housing?
    Gonzo

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Quote Originally Posted by Group 9
    At least the FBI has gone to the 5.11 pants. They used to have just plain old khakis with baby blue golf shirts. Pretty lame back then.
    Baby Blue Agents. . .

You got to walk, they would make us Crawl. . .just to ensure we didn't drop anything in the heat or the snow. . .I don't know how they did that. . .snow when we were running in shorts and Heat when you were doing a practical in a suit in Hogans. . . all in the same day.

Young Turks have no idea how hard it was when I went through

satpak77 is offline Chief

simple explanation

different missions, training tailored to the mission

LA Express is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    We had to wear those tiny little silk running shorts with all our gear hanging out!
    I think I just threw up in my mouth.
    --LAE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast