Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

lady_fed007 is offline Cadet

FTC Investigator

Hey Guys,

I'm been referred for an 1801 investigator position with Federal Trade Commission. My only concern is I'm not sure if it's a covered position. I don't want to leave my current job which is covered, and go to something that's not even if it is a higher grade.

Any advice or idea would be appreciated.

Thanks

nsedet is offline Moderator
    It is not covered. Interesting work and they do work with FLE on some matters, but not an LEO position. Also good experience that could help in competing for 1811 opportunities in the future, but I'd be leery of leaving a 6c position regardless of the potential upside.

davoos15 is offline Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    It is not covered. Interesting work and they do work with FLE on some matters, but not an LEO position. Also good experience that could help in competing for 1811 opportunities in the future, but I'd be leery of leaving a 6c position regardless of the potential upside.
    Would you say any 1801 job would be a good first step (in terms of federal jobs) for those seeking an 1811 career?

I've been in an 1801 position for almost 5 years and haven't been able to switch to an 1811 position. Most of the 1811 positions I come across want you to have completed cipt.

davoos15 is offline Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by lady_fed007 View Post
    I've been in an 1801 position for almost 5 years and haven't been able to switch to an 1811 position. Most of the 1811 positions I come across want you to have completed cipt.
    Wow, really? Unlike a POST academy for local LE, you can't pay to attend CIPT on your own, right?

No, I'm afraid not.

nsedet is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by davoos15 View Post
    Would you say any 1801 job would be a good first step (in terms of federal jobs) for those seeking an 1811 career?
    1801 is a catch all series, so you have to look at the position and its duties. 1801 includes certain investigative positions, some inspectors, Federal Air Marshals, Immigration Enforcement Agents and so on. Some are 6c and others are not, some are investigative and others not. So the relevance to an 1811 position will vary wildly.