Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

jiunn Guest

GS-1811 badges and credentials!

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is doing well and wish everyone the best in their efforts to achieve GS-1811 status!

Anyway, I was just wondering what the badges and credentials for the various agencies look like? There are so many of them that one has to wonder what they all look like? I mean how many agencies are there--let me see if I can just remember some off the top of my mind. We have, in no particular order--BATF, USSS, USPIS, FBI, CID, NCIS, OSI, DEA, BICE, DSS, CIA, DIA, IRS, and last but certianly not the least all the various OIG positions with all the various departments out there. I am certain that I am missing a lot of others.

I am certain that all the badges look different in order to distinguish themselves from each other. I am also wondering what kind of information the credentials contain?

I was watching Check Point CNBC today and they mention that DoS will be requiring all US passports and any country that wishes to have their citizens enter the continental US to contain biomentric data in their passports by Oct 2004. They mentioned fingerprints and iris scans encoded onto [ceramic dummy chips] that will be embedded into the passport. This is obviously a international endeavor, but it brings me to one question... Do GS-1811 badges or credentials also use te same type of data--I mean fingerprints, iris scans, etc. Might they also use the type of chip embedded technology?

I have also been reading info over the internet that, now, ones own DNA markers can also be embedded into such chips. The badges and credentials is a representation of the position and instutution or agency one represents. Anyone who carries such badges and credentials is a personification of that institution or agency. I would imagine that the they would contain pertinent information as well as be very hard to duplicate due to the many security features that are available to us today.

Speaking of the US passport--the current ones have many security features. They contain numerous holograms and the pictures are now digital images that seem to be printed onto the passport with certain digital security features. Do these various features exist on the credentials of a GS-1811?

Interesting subject...! I welcome comments and the keen responses I am used to so far!

Jiunn

ATF SAC is offline The Moderate Moderator
    Lot of collector's items out on the street with everyone moving around. Lot of US Treasury seals and Dept. of the Treasury on badges that aren't there anymore. Arts and crafts by SES's with no graphic design backgrounds going on. Nothing all that sophisticated. Photo, signature, usually some script about your authorization. Always thought the ATF badge was a nice design and would probably stand the test with Treas changed to justice. Our cred says Treasury with a nice picture of it and my name, title and agency and then says I can carry guns, execute warrants and am faster than a speeding bullet and allergic to Kryptonite (especially the Red kind) or something. Ours have a credential number which matches the badge number. With regard to biometrics, who knows. Keep your hands in plain view,pal. Sure as soon as you let me run your creds through my biometric reader.

'Course my creds have gold embossed retired on them, which is a desirabel end state.
    ret.

jiunn Guest
    Well, at least we now know that BATF agents are required to be citizens of Krypton.

Good one, ATF SAC! I can tell you will enjoy retirement very much!
    Thanks for the info on the BATF badges. The basic information you mentioned seems to be what I thought the creds would contain.

On a more serious note. I realize that this subject might also involve discussing information that may be classified, so in the interest of keeping the thread going--just talk about what you know is public!

Jiunn

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    Gee Jack, you have "retired" embossed in gold? Geez, DEA needs to upgrade. Mine are stamped "retired" and the DEA badge has a "Retired" Banner on it. Of course, that banner was poorly affixed and fell right off.

DEA has a nice set of badges, encased in plastic, going back to the old Treasury days. A real collectible, but it's agents only.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

GS1890 is offline Officer

on the subject of chips.....

With all the new gadgets coming down the road in the name of "improving security", how about micro-chipping our federal law enforcement agents/officers ?? That way, we can know with 100 percent correctness that you are who you say you are. Don't laugh; some techno-guru is probably already working out the details. We chip our pets now, and some child welfare advocates are promoting putting chips in our kids so that they can be tracked by GPS satellites in case they are ever "lost".
    I consider myself a politically conservative, law and order type, but this kind of silliness even scares me. I thought the day would never come, but I just might have to take out a membership with my local chapter of the ACLU.....

Chainring is offline Officer
    Saw something today on CNBC about suing the gun maker if you get shot. Soon the anti-gun lobby will have chips in the gun so that it only shoots bad guys. Now imagine figuring that one out.
    Do or do not. There is no try - Yoda

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

UncleSugar is offline Moderator
    Originally posted by ATF SAC
    . . . and am faster than a speeding bullet and allergic to Kryptonite (especially the Red kind) or something.
    OK, now do you have to be faster than a speeding bullet before you get hired, or would the ATF teach me that if I was lucky enough to get a spot?
    "What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert Humphrey

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    I believe that we'll see more use of the hologram in credentialing. TSA is using it in employee badges to indicate security clearance levels. And I'm told my new TSA DHS creds will have it as well.

I agree on the scanning bars being a good idea as well.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson