Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

CAlawman is offline Rookie

GS Scale step increases

Looked up GS scale step increases on OPM, but did not quite understand it. My question is, how long one has to wait before you get an in-grade step increase? I saw steps 1-10, within a grade, is this correct? If I started as a GS-0080-9, assuming everything went well, how long would it take to GS-12?

Any input would help, thanks.
    "A Firearm is a Tool, not a Toy"

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Quote Originally Posted by CAlawman
    Looked up GS scale step increases on OPM, but did not quite understand it. My question is, how long one has to wait before you get an in-grade step increase? I saw steps 1-10, within a grade, is this correct? If I started as a GS-0080-9, assuming everything went well, how long would it take to GS-12?

Any input would help, thanks.
    You begin as a GS-? Step 1, it takes one year to move to a 2 and then another year to move to a 3 and 4, from 4-6 - two years in between and from 7-10 - three years in between.

As for from a GS-9 to a 12. It will depend upon agency, but in most the prmotions between grade are usually a year or so apart until you reach the journeyman level.

LA Express is offline Moderator
    Because it's a fundamental topic on any federal job forum, this has been discussed to death on this board, so please try a search.
    --LAE