Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Two Bit is offline Sergeant

How many federal law enforcement agencies are there?

Just how many Federal LE agencies are out there? I was asked that question by a person on another site, and I've been trying to figure it out. So far, I have about 71 distinct agencies.

I've been using lists like the IGNet, OPM, etc to try and find sites. I know I'm missing stuff. Is there a definitive list somewhere? Are there other sites that might list some obscure niche agencies?

There are some things I can't figure out. Are the DOD police on each installation a distinct law enforcement agency or is there and umbrella agency? Who does the Supreme Court Police Department report to, the Marshals or the court?

CustomsCop is offline Moderator
    DoD police work for whatever branch hires them. So in essence you have DoD police hired by the army, navy and air force. You also have DoD police protecting Defense Logistics agency bases and the Defense Protective service. The largest federal POLICE agency is the US Veterans Affairs police with some 2000 federal officers nationwide and have 4 police officers assigned to protecting and assisting Veterans in the Phillipines.

The US Supreme Court police are assigned to the Judicial branch of the government and do not work for the Marshal's service.

There are way too many agencies out there too list.
    "Last week I stated that this woman was the ugliest woman I had ever seen. I have since been visited by her sister and now wish to withdraw that statement. "
    -Mark Twain-

The reason I ask about the Supreme Court Police, is that it seems odd to have the judicial branch have a police force (an excutive function). Especially seeing as the USMS is charged with doing the exact same thing.

Is there a certain place in each of the military branches that oversees the DoD police, or are they indpendent organizations with a Cheif of Police reporting to the Provost Marital or what?

ATF SAC is offline The Moderate Moderator
    When you get to the Supreme Court you are at the top of the third leg of government, Executive, Legislative and Judicial. At that level, autonomy of operation and separation of powers are a core issue.
    ret.

krellum is offline 'cause Sgt. D is comin'
    It's actually good that you brought this up, Two Bit, because there's so much out there and I don't think that most people realize it.

Here's a good way to find out what the agencies are and what they do (and maybe find some jobs!) - this is how I started my job search in 1993, before we had USAJobs and on-line announcements:

I took a copy of the local phone book and went to the blue pages - the Fed government pages. I then began calling various agencies, calling the "general" numbers and working my way down, inquiring about jobs in their "law enforcement or investigative component" or simply asking for information about what they did. Often I got some people on the line who seemed too busy or put off to help me, but just as often, I got people who were very helpful. Often I got to talk to the actual street agents and officers in that agency, who were able to tell me what the work was like and point me in whatever direction I wanted to go. One guy even gave me the numbers of two 1811 colleagues at two different agencies. Not every agency has an "applicant coordinator", and often, speaking to a "regular" agent is just as good - if not better.

Other people still use this approach, because when I became an 1811, I would sometimes field calls from would-be applicants and some even came into the office (this obviously works better in a big metro area, but with the added tool of the internet, it could still be very effective).

Before long, I was sending away for info from MANY agencies, their various hiring programs (outstanding scholar, etc), and keeping a file on each one for future reference (a good idea, since it took me about 2 years to eventually get hired).

Of course, this tactic takes some time and, for that reason, a lot of people won't do it, but I think that anything a person can do that the next applicant is NOT doing can help. Also, all it can do is give you MORE information about the agencies to which folks are applying and the hiring process in general, and in my opinion, an informed applicant will usually end up being a successful one in the long run.

k

ATF SAC is offline The Moderate Moderator
    Great advice, krellum. Truth is, Two Bit, that apart from Mr. Ackerman's splendid volume, none of us who have spent years in the business knows. As the late Dr. Carl Sagan used to say, "There are billions and billions of stars out there." Get beyond guns and blue lights and there are investigators for everything from CDC to SEC. Add in police forces, inspectors and a full constellation of others and surely there is something you can find to do with your life that helps others and engages you. At one point, some US Attorney's offices had their own 1811's, maybe still do. Would need somebody from Agriculture to help me, but a couple of years ago there was discussion of giving LE powers to the Tick Riders (ATF SAC makes stuff up, but not this. Tick Riders patrol the border states in the SW making sure diseased Mexican cattle don't cross and mingle with US herds. Problem was they were kicking up as many narcotics smugglers and coyotes running illegals as steers. If my Chief of Police had gotten funding for mounted cops, I would be long retired, so I pay attention to stuff like that).
    ret.

nsedet is offline Moderator
    Tough question to answer...if you track down the USDOJ report on Federal officer killed in the line of duty, it will be a good starting point. BUT, and this is a large "but," USDOJ bases its listing on criteria such as "statutory" authority, which actually excludes a number of law enforcement agencies, such as "DOD Police," who have delegated authority. Bear in mind also that there are a number of non-law enforcement department and organizations within the GOV that have a small cadre of LEO's working for them, as well as folks who are classified in LE job series but who are not truly LEOs.

CustomsCop is right in his explanation of who DOD Police work for, but that does not really address the question you asked, which was, "Are the DOD police on each installation a distinct law enforcement agency or is there and [sic] umbrella agency?" As CustomsCop said, an officer works for a specific branch (Navy, Air Force, etc.) or agency within DOD (e.g., Defense Logistic Agency), not for the "Department of Defense." However, there is no singular "Navy Police" or "Air Force Police"...operational policies do come down from HQ level, but each base (or regional) department is viewed as its own organization.

NomadicFed is offline Lieutenant
    The fact that you took the time to add "sic" to denote a misspelled word is most impressive.

pintsizedpi is offline Sergeant
    for instance we work for the regional security directorate of midlant region, under the command of a navy captain. this command is responsible for security in the entire Mid-Atlantic region. Although this regional command is the center of the law enforcement program, you will find NO uniformity between the bases under this command. Each base police department operates in its own unique way. Different pay grades, rank structure, policies, law enforcement/security objectives, whether officers issue Fed Mag Summons or State Summons, whether officers arrest people or just take them back to their commands to be yelled at, What patches, equipment are worn/used, what patrol vehicles are used, etc. etc. Are all determined by each bases commanding officer.
    Thats why I laugh when people talk about "DOD Police" because they spoke with 1 officer at 1 location. Let me repeat for everyone on this board to fully understand, EVERY BASE RUNS ITS LAW ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM IN IT'S OWN WAY.
    1 base might use "DOD Police" for gate guard duties only and these officers will never arrest anyone or issue anything other than an armed forces ticket (1408). Another base might have aggressive police patrol where officers are responding to numerous police calls, arresting civilians/military members for transport to city jail, performing aggressive traffic enforcement and issuing state summons. DOD is as unique as the different attitudes of the CO's of the various navy bases.
    -pint

Thumbs up

This should help...... www.fletc.gov

nyfo Guest

icon17.gif

One Saturday morning I sat at my computer with nothing to do so I decided to read and view EVERY thread and reply in the Federal Section of this site. I compiled a list of every Dept., Agency, Branch etc. Law Enforcement Agency and classified them as Investigative and Uniformed (in some cases you will find both such as USPP and USCP). I also listed a small synopsis of each agency.

By 8pm that night I had a BEAUTIFUL sheet of federal agencies compled, just in time for the power to go out and erase all of my pbunsaved work

I will try again one day in the future but untill then I just assume the FBI does everything (kidding of course)!

Good Day, Sirs!
    Attached Images Attached Images

TEXASBPA Guest
    ATF SAC,

I believe they did give the tick riders some sort of very narrow LE authority. What it is I'm not sure, I'll have to ask one of them next time I see them. I believe they are allowed to carry firearms, but I'm not positive on that either. For what it's worth, one of them down here actually has a red bubble on his truck, but he's still got the horse trailer attached to the back. They do answer call-outs from us and do get involved in cases of cattle rustling (for all those of you who thought that went by the wayside, it's alive and well on the border). Like i said, next time I bump inot one I'll try to remeber to get the specifics for you.

NomadicFed is offline Lieutenant
    In 1943, the problem that had stimulated formation of the association was declared eradicated and a quarantine zone was established in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. More than 30 years later, ticks moved out of that quarantine area, and the organization at its meeting in 1976 called for the declaration of an emergency and funding for an eradication effort. In 1982, Congress authorized federal tick riders to carry firearms, so "Texas fever" had come full circle, from cowboys carrying firearms to force cattle drives past "shotgun quarantines" by those opposed to the cattle movements; to inspectors carrying firearms to protect themselves while examining cattle for ticks.

According to the above, which I found on a USDA web site, them boyz do got guns.

I did not need to know this group existsed. I may have to add them to the list of agencies for which I want to work. I will put it in the column called "Pay Cut Required" and cross-reference it with "Crappy Locations." When a job makes both columns, I usually get the CINCHOUSE veto.

TEXASBPA Guest
    Bear in mind, you must provide your own horse. the DOA will pay for food and vet bills, but the caballo is on your dime. They don't make a whole lot of the green stuff, but most seem to like the job. They can be found from Del Rio, South to the Rio Grande Valley.

Out of curiosity, what does the little paperclip icon on this forum mean?

The following is the list of agencies that I've found so far. Am I missing anything:

Federal Law Enforcement Agencies in Executive Departments
    Department of Agriculture
    USDA Forest Service
    USDA Office of the Inspector General

Department of Commerce
    Department of Commerce Police at Mountain Administrative Support Center
    National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - National Marine Fisheries - Office for Law Enforcement
    National Institute of Standards and Technology Police
    Office of Security

Department of Defense
    Defense Criminal Investigative Service (DCIS)
    Naval Criminal Investigative Service
    US Air Force Office of Special Investigations
    US Air Force Security Forces
    US Army Military Police
    US Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID)
    US Marine Corps Security and Law Enforcement Branch
    United States Naval Academy Police Department
    National Security Agency Police

Defense Logistics Agency Criminal Investigations Activity (DCIA)
    Department of Education

Department of Energy

Department of Health and Human Services
    National Institutes of Health Police

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Department of Interior
    Bureau of Indian Affairs Law Enforcement Services
    National Park Service
    US Fish and Wildlife Service - Office of Law Enforcement
    US Park Police

Department of Justice
    Office of the Inspector General
    Drug Enforcement Administration
    Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Federal Bureau of Prisons
    Immigration and Naturalization Service
    US Border Patrol