Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Ostey103 is offline Officer

Journeyman level - FBI??

I have read numerous times about reaching "journeyman" level. Specific to the FBI, what does this mean? I am thinking something along the line of top pay, but I would appreciate it if someone could clarify.

Thanks

daihung is offline Officer
    I have the same question. Is journeyman level at GS13 or above?

daihung

NomadicFed is offline Lieutenant
    GS-13

UncleSugar is offline Moderator
    It sounds like you're asking two questions 1- what is the meaning of the term journeyman level, and 2- what is it for the FBI.

1- In all agencies journeyman is the level you are expected to reach without competing for promotion. So if you are hired into an entry level position within your agency barring any major problems you should be guaranteed promotion to the journeyman level. For example if you look at the USSS announcement on the OPM site it lists Position and Grade as, GS-1811-5/7/9 meaning those are the grades you can be hired at under that announcment, but it lists the promotion potential as GS-13 which is the journeyman level. However, there are plenty of positions within USSS that are above GS-13, but those are competitive promotions. IF you already knew that general info hopefully this explanation will be helpful to others.

2- Specific to the FBI, the last I checked it was 13, but hopefully some of the FBI folks will chime in.
    "What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert Humphrey

UncleSugar is offline Moderator
    Well Nomadic Fed gave you the answer to question 2!
    "What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert Humphrey

daihung is offline Officer
    Thanks for the replies. So let's say if there is no problem throughout the FBI career, how many years does it take to get to the GS-13 level (including the steps). Also, is it one year per step?

Thanks.

daihung

SingleJ Guest
    It takes 5 years to reach GS-13. It breaks down like this:

Year 1: GS-10 step 1
    Year 2: GS-10 step 2
    Year 3: GS-11 step 1
    Year 4: GS-12 step 1
    Year 5: GS-12 step 2

Ostey103 is offline Officer
    That cleared it up for me. Thanks for the information!