Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Status Question

18ELEVEN is offline Cadet

Status Question

I have researched this question a lot, and frankly I have found conflicting answers, so I thought I would throw it up on here to see if anyone has had real world experience with this. Thanks in advance for the help:

I am currently an 1811 in an excepted position. I am a GS11.

I used to be in an 0083 position and I obtained career status/permanent postion. Number 1 on the SF50. (4 years of service in the 0083)

So, having explained that, could I apply for a status candidate job at the GS11 grade?

On USAJOBS under the FAQ section it appears I am good to go under the reinstatement eligibility requirements, but my hang up is I was not on the GS scale when I obtained career status, but I am on it now in my excepted postion. (There is no mention on USAJOBS about which pay scale someone was on when status was achieved.)

Thanks!

nsedet is offline Moderator
    You should be eligible to apply based on being (1) reinstatement eligible as a result of your prior career status position and (2) meeting time in grade requirements as demonstrated by your current position. Your situation is a little different, but I have seen people come back into Federal service based on prior career status / reinstatement eligibility, and be hired at higher grades (in a few cases significantly higher grades) than previously held based on private sector experience they gained after leaving the first time. You would not be eligible for non-competitive consideration, which requires you having been in a competitive service position at the same or higher grade for which you are applying.

If you can submit copies of both SF-50s with your application I would do that, but if you can only submit one then I would go with the one showing prior career status since that is normally what HR will use to screen for initial eligibility under a status announcement.

Copy that. Thank you very much. As it happens, I submitted both SF50's following your logic. Thanks again.

Gr3g6 is offline Cadet
    Since you're in an Excepted Service position your agency must have an interchange agreement in place for you to be considered status eligible. However, you're claiming to be reinstatement eligible, if this is true then the only question is about time in grade requirements. If you have been in your current position (1811, GS-11) for at least a year then you qualify for anything at the GS-12 level and lower. This is my understanding. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ATF SAC is offline The Moderate Moderator
    The interchange agreement issue is fairly complex. You can search interchange on this board and find some good info. Some expire, others are superceded by legislation. Best to check with your personnel office if you are excepted service to determine if you are status or not or whether an interchange agreement exists. This link is a tough sled but the 6th area down discusses interchange agreements and gives a list. Most current I could find.

http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/...ties/index.asp
    ret.

I guess the next question would be can I skip the the interchange agreement issue altogether since I previously held a permanent positon in the competitve service. I don't have it in front of me at the moment but in regards to reinstatement eligible candidates the language says something to the tune of: a current or former federal employee who holds or held competitve status.

LA Express is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 18ELEVEN View Post
    I guess the next question would be can I skip the the interchange agreement issue altogether since I previously held a permanent positon in the competitve service.
    Yes, based on the facts from your first post, you can skip it. The interchange agreement issue is only something you want to dive into if needed and if applicable (very often there isn't even one that pertains, but that's for another thread), as ATFSAC was alluding to. Stick with what nsedet explained and--as it appears you did--submit both SF-50s showing status and current position. You should be deemed eligible based on the older -50.
    --LAE

ATF SAC is offline The Moderate Moderator
    The general answer is when an agency offers multiple announcements you should apply under each one you qualify for. There are time limits and rules around reinstatement eligibility. I am going to be limited in access for a few days, but you can go to opm.gov and search reinstatement eligibility. Or contact the agency which posted the vacancy and see. However, the simple answer may be that if you have reinstatement eligibility you can go that way rather than the interchange route.
    ret.

Copy. Thanks everyone. Have a great night.

micbt is offline Cadet
    From OPM site:

Reinstatement eligibility refers to the ability for those individuals who previously held a career or career-conditional appointment to apply for jobs in the competitive Federal service open to status applicants. There is no time limit on reinstatement eligibility for those who either have veterans' preference, or acquired career tenure by completing 3 years of substantially continuous creditable service. For more information on reinstatement

As long as you completed 3 continuous years in career status position you're good, you can apply to status/merit job postings. As long as you have the number "1 (Permanent)" in the "Tenure" section (Section 24) on an SF-50 you're golden.