Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Scooter Guest

Step increases question...GS9 to GS7 and back to GS9?

Just a question for those of you that are more familiar with OPM's rules..

I was a GS9 step 1..

I took a promotion to 1811, but had to step back to GS7 step 5..

In august, I will be a GS9 again..

I'd been under the impression that they had to give me a GS9, and the step bracket that is at least higher than I made as a GS7..

However, a "sea lawyer" in my C.I. class tried to convince me that they had to give me (2) steps up when going back to a GS9 for some reason, and he tried to explain about some OPM pay rule...which I didn't get at the time..

Anyone ever heard anything like this?

As it stands now, I expected to be a GS9 step 2 in August, but this guy says it should be a step 3...

Huh??

DMadarang Guest

Re: Step increases question...GS9 to GS7 and back to GS9?

Originally posted by Scooter
    However, a "sea lawyer" in my C.I. class tried to convince me that they had to give me (2) steps up when going back to a GS9 for some reason, and he tried to explain about some OPM pay rule...which I didn't get at the time..

Anyone ever heard anything like this?

As it stands now, I expected to be a GS9 step 2 in August, but this guy says it should be a step 3...
    GS-9/2 is my bet. Incidentally, there's no "have to" about it unless you were RIFed from your higher-graded position and are entitled to pay retention on that basis. Most agencies do it as a matter of practice for everybody, but I don't think it's mandatory.

You could always ask your servicing personnel office (50-50 chance of coming away more confused, but their opinions are free.)

CDD
    CDD is offline Rookie
    There is a OPM rule which states if you are promoted from one grade to another the increase should be no less than an equivilent of 2 steps in your current grade. I went through the same thing and mine went like this, GS-9 step 3 to GS-7 step 6, then to GS-9 step 4 and followed by GS-11 step 1, GS-12 step 1 and finally GS-13 step 1. Looking at the salary tables for the year I went from a GS-7 step 6, I saw that a GS-9 step 4 was in fact more than or the same as a GS-7 step 8. Same thing when I went from the 9 to 11, the 11 step 1 was actually higher than a 9 step 6. It was when I got my 11 that I looked into it because I thought I should have been an 11 step 2 until I found the rule on the OPM website.

Scooter Guest
    Thanks CDD.....!

Maybe the "sea lawyer" was right after all....

That's about what he said....

krellum is offline 'cause Sgt. D is comin'
    Incidentally, there's no "have to" about it unless you were RIFed from your higher-graded position and are entitled to pay retention on that basis.
    This actually holds true more often than the two step rule, especially if you're going from one series to another. I was actually in the exact same situation: I was a 9, step 1 as an 1816 and took an 1811 position as a 7, step 5. When I became an 1811-9, I was a 9, step 1, so it all depends on the agency.

k

Scooter Guest
    Originally posted by CDD
    There is a OPM rule which states if you are promoted from one grade to another the increase should be no less than an equivilent of 2 steps in your current grade.
    Can anyone provide a link to this rule or regulation...somewhere I can read it in black and white?

BuMan is offline Captain
    There is apparently a rule to that effect. I was a 13-4 last fall and received authorization for a promotion to a -14 IA with the FBI. They held the promotion until I got my regularly scheduled step increase (to 13-5), which, when the two step rule was applied meant that instead of being a 14-1, I became a 14-2. Not a bad rule, if you ask me. I inquired on it and was told it was policy for promotions/hires where a step/grade increase is warranted.

Scooter Guest
    Okay, I think I found the OPM guideline..

PASTED:
    Q1: How is a General Schedule (GS) employee’s pay set upon promotion to a higher grade?

A1: By law, a GS employee promoted to a position in a higher grade of the General Schedule is
    entitled to basic pay at the lowest rate of the higher grade that exceeds his or her existing rate
    of basic pay by not less than two step increases of the grade from which promoted. (5 U.S.C. 5334(b).)

For employees not covered by a special salary rate established under 5 U.S.C. 5305 (or similar authority),
    apply this two-step promotion rule as follows:

1.. Use the employee’s existing GS rate of basic pay. Locality pay is not basic pay for the purpose of applying the promotion rule (5 CFR 531.606(b)).

2. Advance the employee two steps in his or her current grade on the GS basic pay schedule. (For employees who are in a GM stat us before promotion, add the dollar value of two steps to the GM rate of basic pay.)

3. Identify the lowest step in the higher grade with a rate of basic pay that equals or exceeds the rate derived in step 2. (This is generally referred to as “slotting.”) This is the employee’s new rate of basic pay.

4. Determine the applicable locality rate for the employee’s new grade and step derived in step 3.

Special provisions must be us ed when special salary rates are involved in the promotion action.
    See “Questions and Answers on Setting Pay Upon Promotion When Special Rates Are Involved” for
    additional information.

If I understand this correctly, when I am due for GS09 in August, I need to look at the GS07 scale step 5, advance
    (2) steps to GS07 step 7...and get the figure..

Then take that figure, and find the next-highest figure on the GS09 scale, and that is the new pay used..

Sound right?