Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Air Force OSI with a computer science degree?

I'm applying to become an officer in the Air Force, and OSI is one of the jobs that is open for me to apply to right now. I have a degree in Computer Science and currently work as a software engineer. This article: http://www.osi.andrews.af.mil/news/s...p?id=123269326
    Makes me very interested, but in reality, how likely is it that I would actually work on on things like computer crime investigations and computer forensics? Would I just get stuck wherever they want me, regardelss of my background? Or is it likely they would want to get use out of my education and experience?

My main concern is that, while investigation and law enforcement sound exciting, I'd really like to go back to the computer industry once I'm out.

DBrasco is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by TryingForAFOTS View Post
    I'm applying to become an officer in the Air Force, and OSI is one of the jobs that is open for me to apply to right now. I have a degree in Computer Science and currently work as a software engineer. This article: http://www.osi.andrews.af.mil/news/s...p?id=123269326
    Makes me very interested, but in reality, how likely is it that I would actually work on on things like computer crime investigations and computer forensics? Would I just get stuck wherever they want me, regardelss of my background? Or is it likely they would want to get use out of my education and experience?

My main concern is that, while investigation and law enforcement sound exciting, I'd really like to go back to the computer industry once I'm out.
    OSI does have a strong field of Computer Crimes Investigators. I know they're always looking for people to apply who have a strong IT background but from what I've heard the school is basic enough at first to teach anyone. I know a few people who were accepted with minimal IT experience. You may have to serve as a general criminal investigator for your first year to gain the criminal experience before applying to be a CCI, but anyone with an IT background is normally recruited by the CCI's.

jonathan2340 is offline Banned
    I also want to join airforce. Its my passion and dream.

Shamrock0211 is offline Sergeant
    While you might want to work with Computers, if you do not have a desire to work in law enforcement, I would advise to go elsewhere. You are a Agent first and foremost. You will spend two years working AF Rape and dime bag cases and scooping up brains at suicide scenes before you get a chance to work hacker issues. The CCI program is top notch, probably the best in the world. However I am not sure how many officer assignments they have (most are civilians) and I am not sure how quickly you could get into the program on a single tour. I am assuming from your post you plan to do 4 years and get out. Realistically, they are not going to send you to the schooling so that you can punch out and take the training elsewhere.
    God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Not Rule the World

SephStorm is offline Cadet
    Honestly, I would be very interested in OSI, Besides being the AF and seeming to have a very good agency, they also have a cool badge and name. No, but seriously, it looks like DC3 is under OSI, and they sound like they train a lot of DoD personnel on cybercrime issues, so undoubtedly they have some very intelligent people there. Unfortunately I am not in the AF so I have no chance of going in enlisted now, and I dont have the civilian LE experience to come in as a civilian. Story of my life.

Shamrock0211 is offline Sergeant
    My advice is to enter the AF as an officer in AFOSI. You never know until you give it a shot. If AFOSI does not pan out still go in as an Officer in the computer field. There are many other career fields where your skills would be useful from driving satellites to network security to intel. Even if you never come into AFOSI you still will be very marketable for other 1811 slots when you leave active duty having served as an AF Officer. Just my 2 cents.
    God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Not Rule the World

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock0211 View Post
    While you might want to work with Computers, if you do not have a desire to work in law enforcement, I would advise to go elsewhere. You are a Agent first and foremost. You will spend two years working AF Rape and dime bag cases and scooping up brains at suicide scenes before you get a chance to work hacker issues. The CCI program is top notch, probably the best in the world. However I am not sure how many officer assignments they have (most are civilians) and I am not sure how quickly you could get into the program on a single tour. I am assuming from your post you plan to do 4 years and get out. Realistically, they are not going to send you to the schooling so that you can punch out and take the training elsewhere.
    I think it just came out wrong. I do have a desire to work in law enforcement, it's just that once I'm out of the military I plan on going back into the computer industry. I'm prior service in the Marine Corps, so as of now I'm planning on doing around 16 years Air Force officer to earn a full retirement.

Do you work in OSI now? The faq on the bottom of this site http://www.osi.andrews.af.mil/questi...cers/index.asp (it's a pdf), mentions computer skills being something that can help your application, as well as mentioning that computer science is one of the degrees that they're seeking. This leads me to believe they are looking for officers to work in the CCI field, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SephStorm View Post
    Honestly, I would be very interested in OSI, Besides being the AF and seeming to have a very good agency, they also have a cool badge and name. No, but seriously, it looks like DC3 is under OSI, and they sound like they train a lot of DoD personnel on cybercrime issues, so undoubtedly they have some very intelligent people there. Unfortunately I am not in the AF so I have no chance of going in enlisted now, and I dont have the civilian LE experience to come in as a civilian. Story of my life.
    What is DC3? It sounds interesting, do you have a source you could link?

DBrasco is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by TryingForAFOTS View Post
    What is DC3? It sounds interesting, do you have a source you could link?
    It's the DoD Cyber Crimes Center. Here is a link with more info than I could ever type out...

http://www.dc3.mil/

SephStorm is offline Cadet
    sorry, i missed that. DC3 also sponsors/hosts the DC3 Cyber Crime Conference, which seems pretty cool. It would be very cool to get a job working with them, but I doubt they have any entry level positions.