Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

gonch is offline Cadet

How many times can a soldier be deployed???

I was an Army Reservist and was deployed from August 2002 to July 2003 for Operation Enduring Freedom. Since then, I have transferred to the National Guard and have changed my MOS. The National Guard unit I transferred to will be deploying sometime next month for an 18 month rotation in Iraq. Now, I have heard that in the National Guard, if you've been deployed in the last two years, in order for you to deploy again, you have to sign a waiver, requesting to go on the deployment. Does anyone know if this is true or not? It has barely been a year since I got home and once again I have to leave my wife and family. I understand my duty and obligation to my country. I just really wish that I can spend more time with my family before I uproot myself from my civilian life to go back to the sand box.

fedguy889 is offline Rookie
    As far as I remember from my time in the Guard you can be deployed as often as needed.
    Active Duty..you can be deployed as often as the Pentagon says so.

UncleSugar is offline Moderator
    Rumsfeld said recently (sorry I don't have link to the article) that he was trying to limit Guard units to two years deployed (cumulative). However, I don't know how the Guard Bureau is applying that to individuals.
    "What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert Humphrey

nickstone is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSugar
    Rumsfeld said recently (sorry I don't have link to the article) that he was trying to limit Guard units to two years deployed (cumulative). However, I don't know how the Guard Bureau is applying that to individuals.
    I heard the same thing last week, I think it was during his latest press briefing.

---nick

HawkDrvr is offline Sergeant
    There are "mandatory" stabilization requirments that the services try to meet. For example, an active duty Army soldier returning from a year deployment will be stabilized for 90 days upon return (i.e. he can't return and 20 days later be forced to PCS by the Army). Each branch and deployment is different. You need to ask your BN level S1 what the policies are for your stabilization. If you have been "home" though for 6+ months, sorry but your ready to deploy. My sister unit returned from Iraq in March 03 and are already on re-deployments orders for almost the 12 month point.
    "Have you seen that bumper sticker that says, "No More Hiroshimas"? I wish I had one that says, "You First. No more Pearl Harbors." --Gen. Richard E. Hawley (USAF-Ret)
    “The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.” --Thomas Jefferson
    "There is still a bottom 10% of the top 1%."

TANKMGA8 is offline Moderator
    My unit is scheduled to deploy next month too. In looking into this I discovered that if you have been deployed in support of anything since 9/11, that you will have to sign a waiver if your next deployment will take you over 754 days (I think that is the number) on active duty.

The order I recieved stated that a soldier in your situation would have to sign a waiver in order to be deployed, which would allow you to go over the max number above. Call your AGR and speak with him. This should be in the Mob order, and he can get you the paperwork, or you might have to wait to hit your Mob station. The difference in the guard and reserve should not matter, you were still a soldier and will go over the magic number on this deployment.

Good luck on your decision, and stay safe.
    Take care,

Harold

gonch is offline Cadet
    Thanks for the info TANK. This deployment would definitely take me over the 754 days mark. Now, what are the consequences of me not signing the waiver? Will I receive a discharge of some type or will they just transfer me to another unit? I'm really worried about what will happen because my dream is to work in L.E. and I know that I'll never get a govenment job with a DD214 that says anything but a honorable discharge on it. BTW, what unit are you with?

TANKMGA8 is offline Moderator
    As far as the consequences, I am not sure. Since you have to sign a waiver I don't think that there can be any, officially!! As far as the unit goes, you know as well as I that someone will remember that you opted out of a deployment, and that could affect promotions and and stuff the unit has control over. But officially I don't believe that there can be any. As long as you stay out of trouble you should get an honorable discharge. You should be placed on the rear detachment and continue to drill as normal.

As far as the unit goes I will leave it at a unit in the Nat. Guard in Texas. If you want to know more you can PM me and I can tell you, as this is a public board and I am not all that crazy about broadcasting that in public. Hope you understand.

Good luck on your job seeking
    Take care,

Harold

Wes
    Wes is offline Cadet
    Ok just because this hits exactly with my unit right now...

As of right now you won't deploy with them, even IF you DO sign the waiver they may not let you go. They are tossing the ball back and forth in D.C. right now. My unit was deployed to Iraq for a year, now our Brigade is sending people (#s not included for OPSEC) to A-stan. We were told that we would be a LAST resort for the Army and they might even pull people from out of state if they can to make sure that us guys that have already been over there don't go back. There should be no negitive action if you don't sign the waiver.