Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Deerslayer is offline Rookie

Uncharacterized discharge, RE-3

Ok, here is my story. I spent 11.5 years active duty in the Navy, got out joined the Louisiana Nat Guard for a one year contract. Went to one drill, hadn't even received my issue yet and was picked up for a job as a Special Agent with one of the big agencies. I informed my local unit, got a healthy congrats, and was told I would be put IRR while in the academy and then transferred to NY. Was told it was taken care of and for me to check in with my local unit upon arrival to my new home in NY. I did as directed, made it through the academy and called the local Nat Guard unit in NY upon my arrival. To my suprise I was informed that I had been discharged 2 weeks prior for "failure to report" with an RE-3 discharge. I applied to the Army board of corrections and was denied an upgrade.

What do I do now? Is this going to hurt me in the future? Can I still use my GI Bill? Is this going to affect my security clearances? 11 years of honorable service and it takes the National Guard a few months to mess it up. I am not happy!!

Olive Drab is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
    Ok, here is my story. I spent 11.5 years active duty in the Navy, got out joined the Louisiana Nat Guard for a one year contract. Went to one drill, hadn't even received my issue yet and was picked up for a job as a Special Agent with one of the big agencies. I informed my local unit, got a healthy congrats, and was told I would be put IRR while in the academy and then transferred to NY. Was told it was taken care of and for me to check in with my local unit upon arrival to my new home in NY. I did as directed, made it through the academy and called the local Nat Guard unit in NY upon my arrival. To my suprise I was informed that I had been discharged 2 weeks prior for "failure to report" with an RE-3 discharge. I applied to the Army board of corrections and was denied an upgrade.

What do I do now? Is this going to hurt me in the future? Can I still use my GI Bill? Is this going to affect my security clearances? 11 years of honorable service and it takes the National Guard a few months to mess it up. I am not happy!!
    The guard is weird like that. I ran into a similar situation with moving 500 miles away and they pulled the same crap with the same discharge. It was Nat Guard Bureau for the state and not the unit. My new unit accepted me and it went away. Its not dishonorable, other than honorable, medical, etc which is why its called uncharacterized. RE-4 on the other hand is a big deal but thats not what you have.
    Are you planning on rejoining the NG or USNR?

Deerslayer is offline Rookie
    I have debated it, but honestly at this point if I were to get activated I would lose serious money. So the answer is no right now but I have not ruled it out completely. If this were to present negatively toward me I would consider re-joining just to make it go away.

Charlydevo is offline Rookie
    Write your Congressman and fight to have it upgraded to honorable. It definately can hurt you. Unless you intend to stay in your current position for the rest of your live and never transfer or promote, it definately can hurt you. How do you suppose that looks to a background investigator? It looks like you just blew off your drills and got booted out. I can easily see how a soup sandwich like the Guard can mess that up, but you're going to have to get it fixed.
    Chuck

Olive Drab is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlydevo View Post
    Write your Congressman and fight to have it upgraded to honorable. It definately can hurt you. Unless you intend to stay in your current position for the rest of your live and never transfer or promote, it definately can hurt you. How do you suppose that looks to a background investigator? It looks like you just blew off your drills and got booted out. I can easily see how a soup sandwich like the Guard can mess that up, but you're going to have to get it fixed.
    From my experience, never an issue after two SSBIs but then again, I have two DD-214s with honorable discharges following it.