Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

yanks Guest

florida highway patrol

well with out a doubt this is one of the greatest agencys in the country. I know that many troopers are leaving this agency due to the pay. I am wondering even though this is going on in florida i was wondering if the department is struggling to find recruits due to this. Can anyone who is a trooper or someone with info give me an estimated guess on how many applications the fhp receiver per fiscal year. Thanks

papimike is offline The kindest moderator
    I WOULD JUST LIKE TO MENTION THAT I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THE FHP TROOPERS AND WANTED TO JOIN YEARS AGO, BUT THE LOW PAY TURNED ME AWAY. MY QUESTION CONCERNS THE NUMBER OF TROOPERS ON THE ROAD. I DRIVE TO FL, ON I-95 AND THE FL TURNPIKE. I GENERALLY ONLY SEE 1 TO 4 TROOPERS DURING MY ENTIRE JOURNEY FROM JACKSONVILLE DOWN TO MIAMI AND OR KEY WEST.

Knute is offline Officer
    I know that south Florida especially is hurting for officers. Broward County has less officers patrolling the roads then Palm Beach County, yet has over 500K more residents. Apparently the difference in officers versus the number of residents is due to the demographics that were done many years ago and not updated and of course the lack of funding.

It is my understanding that the FHP is in definite need of recruits as there hiring is ongoing.

zee1313 is offline Officer
    FHP currently has 1,218 troopers..

also.. troopers make $31,596

no longevity pay, no shift pay,
    -Zee

yanks Guest
    are you sure there are 1200 because im pretty sure it is 1780

just listing the facts provided to me from Trooperpay.net
    -Zee

stein810 is offline Sergeant

yeah i see that..... i also thought there were about 1700 troopers guess i was wrong too. u see that in the detroit news michigan state troopers are hovering around 1,000!!!!!!!!! the lowest in years!!!!

Originally posted by zee1313
    just listing the facts provided to me from Trooperpay.net

stein810 is offline Sergeant

off the florida web site cays as a trooper you can make max 3800 a month which is around 46k a year. that isnt to bad.

Originally posted by zee1313
    FHP currently has 1,218 troopers..

also.. troopers make $31,596

no longevity pay, no shift pay,

stein810

i hope the MSP keep dropping in numbers!

that way when i am 21 they will need a ton of people and hopefully that state will have some money then and they will be knocking my door down to have me.. ok maybe not that extreme.. but it will be alot easier!
    -Zee

FLSmokey Guest
    As a current Trooper in Florida hopefully I can shed a little light on the subject. FHP is a great department to work with, if you like traffic and what it can lead to. The department has several areas you can branch into, however, they all stem from traffic (Examples: Felony teams, D.L. fraud, auto theft, traffic homicide, etc).
    The pay is a problem. Troopers start out at 31,500ish (36,500ish in parts of south Florida), and currently have no longevity pay. In other words a Trooper is stuck at starting pay. However, there is a huge push by FHP and other state LEO's to fix the problem. The campaign has met with unbelievable support from the Legislatures, an unusual occurance. It will be a long battle, but it is something we haven't seen in a long time.
    As for recruits, FHP is getting a lot of applications... the exact number I do not know. But, as a instructor at the academy, I can tell you we generally run 2 classes a year and don't have a problem filling them. FHP turns away far more than those accepted. I'm continually proud that during these tough times, FHP's standards have remained.
    Hope this helps and good luck with the process. It may be long, but I garuntee it will be worth it.

papimike is offline The kindest moderator
    WELL BROTHER SMOKEY, YOU JUST OPENED YOURSELF UP TO A MOUNTAIN OF QUESTIONS. LET ME JUMP TO THE HEAD OF THE LINE -- HA HA

THERE ARE A FEW FOLKS IN MY COMMAND WHO ARE INTERESTED IN FHP, THEIR MAIN CONCERNS THOUGH ARE SOUTH FLORIDA. THEY WANT TO WORK SOUTH FLORIDA. THEY HAVE ASKED ME A BUNCH OF QUESTIONS THAT I CANT ANSWER. THEY INCLUDE, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF THEM GETTING ASSIGNED TO SOUTH FLORIDA (I THINK THEY ARE REFERRING TO DADE AND BROWARD COUNTIES)? AND HOW IS THE TRANSITION ACADEMY (TYPICAL BOOT CAMP TYPE ENVIRONMENT?)?

THANKS

justice29720 Guest

NUmber of Troopers

I was looking on 911 job FOrums jobs and FHP has 1780 Troopers at this time. That is what they posted on there job info.

FLSmokey Guest
    Questions are no problem, I'll answer what I can. 1st off the 1700 figure for Troopers is'nt all together true. That number includes all sworn members, not a great representative of road coverage.
    If your are interested in south Florida over north Florida , your guys will more than likely be o.k. IN GENERAL, recruits usually get sent to Orlando and south. Right now south west Florida is a hot spot for recruits, as well as the Lauderdale and Orlando areas. It is rare that a recruit will get north of that. Additional security for your guys is that the academy usually allows the recruits a day to swap assignments. There is always recruits who would prefer to stay farther north. In the past the academy has also allowed the recruits to make a "wish list", and has tried to accomodate. Worst case senario, they will have to suck it up for a year and transfer to their preferance... chances are there will aleays be openings where they want to go.
    The transition, for Florida leos, is currently 10 weeks and is tough. It is run boot camp style, with tough academic standards. However, after a couple of weeks they will remember that you're already certified.
    Forgive me if I don't respond to any questions for about a week, I'm actually en route to Tallahasse to help instruct the transition class going through now.
    Hope the info was helpful.

Smalto1014 is offline Cadet
    I'm a recruit in the FHP academy. I can only respond on the weekends because thats when I'm home from the training academy. Anyone that wants to know what it's like send me an email.