Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

darrell is offline Rookie

Michigan State Police Background Packet

DID ANYONE ELSE BESIDES ME AND DOUG GET THEIR'S TODAY???

It's OFFICAL I got my BGI packet for MSP today in the mail. I have to type it out and mail it in within 7 days.

From there the Physical Agility Test will be heald in Lansing at the MSP Academy in October.....

WISH ME LUCK. A LIFETIME OF WAITING, 5 MONTHS OF PT TO GET IN SHAPE FOR IT.
    "If you think you can you will. If you think you can't you won't!" MSP Academy

"Sometimes doing the right thing is always doing the right thing!" SWAT Capt. Fuller

rutchtkim is offline Officer
    good luck darrell and congrats. by the way what have you been doing to get in shape? I will be headed to the New Jersey State Police in January. I have been running up to 5 miles per day and been doing pushups, situps, mountain climbers, squat thrusts, jumpink jacks until i feel like passing out. its tough, recruits have to do a minimum of 30 minutes of jumping jacks along with 14 other exercises during PT all with a few hours of sleep and a few minutes of chow time.

I've been hitting the weights doing curls, bench press, lats and running.

I'm also doing jumping jacks, line jumps over and back, side to side 10 count 10 set sets front 2 back, back 2 front, left 2 right, right 2 left.

I need to start running harder and doing some sprints

"Sometimes doing the right thing is always doing the right thing!" SWAT Capt. Fuller

If you're going to concentrate on anything, make sure it's your cardiovascular stamina. You can be strong as an ox, but if you get winded easily, it's worthless! Being in good cardiovascular condition is going to help you better perform tasks when you're tired. Again, catching the bad guy (for example) is only half the battle. If you're too winded to do anything with him once you catch him, you've won the battle, but lost the war. Don't forget to give your body a bit of a rest, too. If you don't give your body time to recover you're doing more harm than good. And stay hydrated!!!!!

darrel,

I went through the MSP process 10 years ago (oh my GOD, I can't believe it was that long ago!!!!!!). If you don't already know about how they grade the push-ups, you have to go down until you're about 2 inches off the floor and then come ALL the way up for one to count. Concentrate on your form. More reps. with lighter weight on the bench press is a good way to strengthen your muscles and build up some endurance (again, that cardio. thing). That, and of course, lots of push-ups. Get your muscles used to moving that full range of motion though because without the right form, you're wasting your time.

Sprints are a good idea, too. I used to go down to a local middle school that had a track and marked off the distance used for the physical agility test sprint and ran that. Being able to start quickly will help your time quite a bit in that event.
    Last edited by k9cop21811; 08-16-2006 at 11:59.

K9 I remember the pushups and the stupid cone run from when I passed it in 2000 in Detroit with DPD.

Go down and hit the buzzer with your chest then up agian

Yeah, that's right, there IS a damn buzzer! 20, 20, 20.....ahhhh! Lock those arms out. What memories.