Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

TheGreatGonzo is offline Ducks don't wear pants!

Mississippi Highway Patrol

The Mississippi Highway Patrol has started up their hiring process for a new Trooper class. The application process is apparently detailed on the state website. If you don't mind low pay (pervasive throughout the Southeast US, unfortunately), heat, humidity, and hurricanes ( ) you might want to give them a look. Seriously though, excellent agency. This is only the 2nd Trooper class they have had in several years.
    Gonzo

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

nolacop is offline Rookie
    A buddy of mine told me that entry level troopers make under 15k a year. That cant be true. Can you verify that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nolacop
    A buddy of mine told me that entry level troopers make under 15k a year. That cant be true. Can you verify that for me.

Starting salary for a state trooper is $31,914.
    Gonzo
    Last edited by TheGreatGonzo; 07-15-2006 at 09:10.

DM05 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by nolacop
    MHP trainees have a starting salary of $14,854.09, I'm pretty sure that is just during the training period. As noted above full fledged troopers make around $30-31 starting out.

Side note: I believe the Academy is about 20 weeks long. It is a "standard" Trooper academy, meaning it is extremely militaristic. It is also a residential academy. It is located at the MS Law Enforcement Officers Training Academy in Pearl, MS (right outside of Jackson, MS). MHP Troopers carry Glock 22's and get take-home cars. New Troopers can be assigned anywhere in the state.
    Gonzo

Buckbama is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    Side note: I believe the Academy is about 20 weeks long. It is a "standard" Trooper academy, meaning it is extremely militaristic. It is also a residential academy. It is located at the MS Law Enforcement Officers Training Academy in Pearl, MS (right outside of Jackson, MS). MHP Troopers carry Glock 22's and get take-home cars. New Troopers can be assigned anywhere in the state.
    Gonzo
    I just had a friend who went there for training for wildlife officer and he said many Miltary folks said the differance between Parris Island and Pearl, MS, Parris Island had sand flies..
    Finish The Drill... This means doing your best no matter what the outcome is. Just Finish The Drill. Doing your best and given it a 110% effort..

StpdPhD is offline Cadet

Mississippi Highway Patrol

I went through a MLEOTA basic class in Pearl with the last Mississippi State Trooper class. Our training was extremely military (ran by a marine and his assistants). However, the Trooper training was even more intense. The ones who graduate are some of the most disciplined and hard-working guys (sorry no females made it to graduation - but they hope to change that) you will ever meet. If you are interested in good training and a career as a state highway patrol officer, then you should consider the Mississippi Highway Patrol. We need more good troopers in Mississippi.

jbcaldwe Guest

MHP patrol school

Hi everybody. I'm new to the message board and have decided at the age of 30 to pursue le. It's always been a dream, but I've never acted on it. I was just wondering if anyone had heard if they're going to have a MS Hwy patrol school next year. I heard from some trooper friends of mine that they may have one next spring.

Welcome to the Board and thanks for your interest in my thread. However, please take moment to review the Board Rules regarding posting to old threads.
    Gonzo
    PS - Good luck with MHP.