Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

cbpofficer is offline Officer

Question Texas State Trooper?

Does anyone know if the Texas Troopers are hiring now? Also what is the pay like? And what is the reputation of the organization?

Thanks

"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do. They don't have the energy. If they had that much energy, they'd have indoor plumbing by now." -Ann Coulter

geodetective is offline Sergeant
    Texas DPS is constantly recruiting. The starting pay isn't that great at $2,516.66 /month while you're in training. Its about $2,700/month after graduation. If you get stuck way out in West Texas that's quite a decent living. However, if you are in Austin, Dallas, or Houston, that money won't go far.

Despite pay that is below many municipal departments, Texas DPS attracts some top notch applicants and the competition is fierce. The agency has an excellent reputation - the troopers are exceptionally professional.

Geo

cbpofficer is offline Officer
    Thanks for the detailed info!

spyder007 Guest
    I'm told that there is a mystic aw surrounding the DPS Troopers. Seems they are high qualified and very professional.

gbcop is offline Sergeant
    Depending on where you work depends on the pay..... I make $14.40/hour at my local department..... DPS doesn't pay bad at all....... And as far as I'm concerned, if you looked up the word professional in the dictonary, you would see a picture of a Texas Troop. I have yet to meet a Troop that doesn't meets the highest of standards. The only bad thing that I don't like is the schedule they work, 10on 4 off, but at least it's 8's instead of 12's.

OH Velez! is offline Rookie
    some of the bigger municipal departments seem to pay alright.....ie Dallas. I checked out a few of their websites, all of them had a recruitment page as well that covered benies and salaries. Do a web search and check em out.

allen9180 is offline Rookie
    Everyone respects DPS troopers with a sort of supernatural awe around Texas. They are almost always recruiting, and I've heard they have trouble sometimes because the starting pay is so low. That said, I don't know how often they have academies, or at what ratio (number hired for number applied) they hire. Every one I've run into, except one, was always perfectly manicured, ripped, with perfectly creased uniforms, and mirrored boots and leather (they have patten leather gear). They all get a take home car which helps with the salary a little.

I've also heard that their academy is brutal because as a trooper, odds are you will be out in the middle of nowhere, and if stuff goes bad, you're it. There's a story floating around that in the academy you have to fight, or box, opponent after opponent, basically until you are exhausted and get your behind kicked so you will know what if feels like if you have to take on multiple assailant for a long period of time by yourself. There's also stories of how you always want DPS troopers in your pursuit, because as soon as you get out of the city limits, they will lean out of the car and shoot off the bad guy's hubcaps. Can't confirm any of that, but it adds to the mystique.

I believe there's at least one or two DPS people on the board, maybe not in the highway patrol, but perhaps former highway patrolmen. Ah, that's another tidbit, the troopers you usually see are the highway patrol troopers with the red shoulder patch. There are also uniformed people with blue patches that handle weights and measures, a small uniformed traffic education branch, and the uniformed troopers at the driver license offices. DPS has narcotics, auto theft, and the rangers that are all plain clothes. Everyone starts out in the highway patrol.
    Last edited by allen9180; 11-24-2003 at 00:15.

JellyDonut Guest
    They are a great department to work for and have many different avenues for advancement. It is also the only way to get into the Texas Rangers.

DallasTX is offline Officer
    Here in S. Texas we (US Border Patrol) enjoy a good working relationship with DPS. Like Allen said, troopers wear their uniforms very neatly and are well respected around here. They do work alone and we back them up quite frequently and vice versa.

My uncle is a DPS Lt. and teaches at the Academy as the defensive tactics coordinator. I will ask him about fighting till exhaustion training at their basic course that Allen mentioned.

I would love for a chance to work for them but they will never be able to match what Uncle Sam pays me to be a BPA.

D

TexasFed is offline Officer
    Actually everyone doesn't start in the Highway patrol. That posting is considered the "best" posting, but it is obviously the most dangerous for a "rookie". You could also be posted right out of the academy to Drivers License. I understood the posting process was related to your performance in the academy.