Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cowboys is offline Cadet

The toughest law enforcement academy?

Can everyone provide opinions on which state has the toughest law enforcement academy?

FedNY Guest
    From people I have spoken to, it seems that NJSP is one of the toughest. Things have changed since the racial profiling law suits.

Mo Trooper is offline Moderator
    I think it would be tough for anyone to really say. It would be rare for one person to have gone through two. There is no real point of comparison, besides hearsay.

vengeance05 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Trooper
    I think it would be tough for anyone to really say. It would be rare for one person to have gone through two. There is no real point of comparison, besides hearsay.
    I know a NY Trooper who, prior to that job, was in the US Army and NYPD. (he claims NYSP is the hardest of the three)

I'm sure there are a few out there who have more than one academy under their belt, and a lot of ex-military who can compare/contrast an academy to their boot camp experiences.

NHtrooper is offline Cadet
    What also makes it hard to compare is what characteristics are you comparing? Which one is the most paramilitary? Which one has the hardest PT? What about the hardest academics? Longest? Etc. etc. etc.

Each academy will have its more difficult aspects and less difficult aspects.

darrell is offline Rookie
    I know the Michigan State Police Academy is extremely hard based on the troops that I know that have gone through it and from knowing what they go through from a few instructors that taught there. The big killer that dropps recruits is the PT, and the swim for life........But each academy at any level is tough if your not ready for it.
    "If you think you can you will. If you think you can't you won't!" MSP Academy

"Sometimes doing the right thing is always doing the right thing!" SWAT Capt. Fuller

nsedet is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05
    I'm sure there are a few out there who have more than one academy under their belt, and a lot of ex-military who can compare/contrast an academy to their boot camp experiences.
    Unless someone has been through every police academy, it is not possible to give a good ranking of the "toughest" academy. Even comparing a police academy to boot camp experience doesn't work to well...for example, going through a military boot camp as an 18 or 21 year old is a very different experience than going through a basic academy at 30, and perceptions of each experience will be different. I know several people who have gone through more than one basic academy, but not too many who have gone through multiple state academies, which is just not all that common. I have yet to meet a state trooper in any state who said, "Our academy was easy, you should see what the guys in the next state over have to go through."

BigLew72 is offline Lieutenant
    Having a father and 2 uncles that are/were troopers, They have always told me Ohio, Georgia and South Carolina are among the toughest for PT. But with State Police, they are all in your face tough.......

Like my uncle always claims....."Built Trooper Tough!"

BigLew

JohnnyReb is offline Cadet
    I was told that the west virginia state polie acadamy was "as tough as marine boot".

Supervisor Guest
    West Virginia State Police academy is truly "Parris Island" from day one to graduation. Lots of running, push ups, Marine Corp replica with all the yelling by the academy staff troopers. Once the troopers have completed the academy, they have earned an Associates degree in CJ from Marshal University so their academics aren't shabby.

The WVSP also also conducts the "Basic Officer" training academy for all municipal and county departments in the state. It too is "Parris Island" but is half the time of the trooper class.
    Last edited by Supervisor; 04-19-2005 at 20:43.

concord160 is offline Moderator
    Nibbling on sponge cake, watching the sun bake...
    A good friend of mine just graduated from WVSP and talking with him, he said it was very demanding physically and mentally. This comes from a guy who went through one police academy in NC and through USSS academy!

North Carolina State Highway Patrol academy is also very demanding on all levels.

If you are looking for the "toughest", I dont think you will find it. All academies are tough in their own right. It all depends what you consider tough.

krellum is offline 'cause Sgt. D is comin'
    These questions always make us (the moderators) cringe: who has the "toughest" X, the "best" Y, etc. There's no answer, as others have already mentioned. It's all relative to what you do, where you go, how much experience you have, and what kind of background you're coming from - not to mention other factors like how strong or weak you are in academics, fitness, people skills, common sense, etc.

I don't think it's possible to compare a police academy to a military boot camp - why do people try to do it? Because both yell at you and make you do pushups? Because both use a "militaristic" format? It's apples and oranges. They have different purposes and train you to do different things. They usually do it in a vastly different manner, too (just because both academies use an authoritative approach doesn't mean they're comparable). There's a HUGE difference between being a 17 or 18-year-old recruit entering a military service's basic training - usually never having been away from home for any length of time - than there is in being the average law enforcement academy entrant. Just having those extra 3 or more years of life experience or maturity that the LE guy has - be it college, the military, or work experience - goes a long way (and it's usually a LOT more than 3 years, these days).

Whose is "toughest"? There is no "toughest" in my opinon. Again, it's all relative.

k
    "I don't share your greed...the only card I need...is the Ace of Spades, the Ace of Spades..."

NYPDjock is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Supervisor
    Once the troopers have completed the academy, they have earned an Associates degree in CJ from Marshal University so their academics aren't shabby.
    They earn an A.A. degree in just 6 months?

Supervisor Guest
    sorry - I believe they earn 16 hours minimum

JohnnyReb is offline Cadet
    Maryland state police cadets recieve 45 collage credits in the acadamy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast