Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Long Beach officer shot in training accident

This goes to show that we always need to be careful with our firearms, no matter how expert we think we are with them. This is tragic, and I hope he makes a full recovery and is able to return to his job without being medically retired.

------
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/14288462.htm

Long Beach officer shot in training accident
    Associated Press
    LONG BEACH, Calif. - A police officer was recovering Friday after being shot in the abdomen by a colleague during a SWAT training exercise, officials said.

Long Beach police Officer Joel Cameron, 40, was injured Thursday as the officers prepared to unload and clean their weapons at the department's firing range, said Long Beach Police Deputy Chief Tim Jackman. The shooting appears to be accidental, he said.

Cameron, a 13-year veteran, underwent surgery at a local hospital.

"He was alert, talking and the doctors say it's a clean wound," said Long Beach Police Sgt. David Cannan. "He should be OK."

Police will investigate the shooting to determine if safety procedures were broken and if disciplinary action is warranted.

The department said the officer whose handgun discharged was a 10-year veteran but did not release his name.

Another officer was severely injured at the firing range in 1993, when he fired a round into his abdomen while holstering his gun. He eventually returned to patrol.

LeeRoy is offline Lieutenant
    [QUOTE=gs-riverside]
    Police will investigate the shooting to determine if safety procedures were broken...
    QUOTE]

They have to investigate to figure that one out?
    ...if you see me running try to keep up!

NYLSC is offline Officer
    [QUOTE=LeeRoy]
    Quote Originally Posted by gs-riverside
    Police will investigate the shooting to determine if safety procedures were broken...
    QUOTE]

They have to investigate to figure that one out?
    Lol I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that!