Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Minotaur Guest

Question NYPD Academy Running?

Hi:

I'm being optimistic about getting into a class either next winter or July. In addition to getting my paperwork together and making calls to former co-workers and touching base with my references, I've been doing more running than any other form of PT. I'm a former powerlifter/bodybuilder so I'm in between doing enough running, but I also want to keep size and strength. (I'm going to do more bag work and maybe join a boxing gym.) So my question is, how much running should I be doing? Presently, I'm running three miles.

Thanks!

Be safe guys, best of luck!

Rob

dano Guest
    That's plenty. The test to pass the Academy includes doing a 1-1/2 mile run in about 12 minutes (the specific time varies with age).

When you start the academy, they wean you slowly into running. They are unly up to about a mile now and it is at a SLOW pace. After six months of Gym, Fat Albert shouldn't have a problem with the test.

The calestenics are little tougher but they are no big deal. They are big on push-ups, leg lifts of various kinds, jumping jacks etc. A guy like you should not have any problem unless all you do is weights. If so, work more on your wind and flexibility.

Some of these people are in awful shape. They drop out of the run after three laps, which is about an eighth of a mile. It's a little pathetic actually.

No matter what shape you are in the key is not to quit. They will razz you for being out of shape but, if you do not try, they'll kill you!

I am 31 and not in the best of shape. However, the only thing I have trouble with are the pushups if we get a ton of them. Nonetheless, I never give up! That is what the instructors want to see. If you at least make the effort, then they know they can whip you into shape.

If you are not in shape now, start running, doing pushups and situps four or five days a week. You'll thank me for it when the academy begins.

Good Luck!!!

IoweYouaName Guest

keep that in mind

Don't ever quit.

Like one of Gym Instructor's said (he probably stole it from someone famous) "All it takes is all you got"

"If you are getting your as*ed kicked out in East New York and your partner can't help you what are you gonna do?"

Do you want a pu**y as your partner? I don't.

mmagoo is offline Captain
    Originally posted by dano
    That's plenty. The test to pass the Academy includes doing a 1-1/2 mile run in about 12 minutes (the specific time varies with age).

Some of these people are in awful shape. They drop out of the run after three laps, which is about an eighth of a mile. It's a little pathetic actually.

I don't get that. A mile and a half in 12 minutes, that's an 8 minute mile. I can jog 1 1/2 - 2 miles at a slow pace (11 minute mile). When I set the treadmill to an 8 minute mile, I can only run about 2 minutes. To run a whole mile and a half of that, I need to get in much better shape.

My long drawn out point is, how can these guys run a mile and a half at one point and then later not be able to run 1/8 of a mile? I could do that, even at the 8 minute mile pace. What gives?

dano Guest
    The test I referred to is the one to graduate the Academy, not qualify to enter it.

You can be in pretty lousy shape and pass the NYPD Physical Ability Test, which is required to get hired (it's a short obstacle course). However, getting through the PAT doesn't mean your in any shape to pass the graduating standards.

On a bright note, the instructors have seven months to whip you into shape and make sure you pass it. They give you a pre-test (same as the final) and, if you fail to pass the standards at the beginning of the academy, they put you in tutoring (working out on your own time at the Academy).

In short, your just about guaranteed to pass because you'll either be in shape when you arrive at the Academy or get in shape while you are there.

Your only other option is to resign.

BasementAddix is offline Sergeant

dano is right...

its kinda hard to be in the academy and NOT get in shape...figure the bag u carry around all day is atleast 30lbs...u do ALOT of walking...then comes the gym....if u put a minimum amount of effort you should be fine...u just cant quit...push it...i know youve heard this a billion times but its all true...its been a lil less then two monthes and i can see a huge difference in my shape...so can my girlfriend (lol)....seriously though...im more worried about law and police science then i am about gym....
    XXXXX LIVE LINK REMOVED PER BOARD RULE...NO LIVE LINKS IN SIGNATURES XXXXX

john73175 Guest
    Gym is a joke.

if you are in any way in shape you will pass. if not they will make you run a little longer. trust me when i was there a guy amazingly made up 1 min in his run in three days to pass the 1.5 run if you know what i mean. there are a number of people that other depts would kick out but they need the numbers.

Basement: have you had to carry the patrol guide in your bag? no complaining about that stupi bag untill you have carried the patrol guide in it for a month..my back has never been the same...once again another great idea by nypd a bag w/ much weight pulling your spine to one side.

good luck alll

BasementAddix is offline Sergeant

i hear u

for only a couple of days i had to lug around that patrol guide...now i just need 3 chapters from each subject....which is sooo much nicer...but the gun belt is slowly getting heavier...and the gym has us bring the cpr books and training manual now...fun fun fun...t-6days until the quarterlys....
    XXXXX LIVE LINK REMOVED PER BOARD RULE...NO LIVE LINKS IN SIGNATURES XXXXX

Minotaur Guest
    Hi:

If there are any law questions I can help with please feel free to PM me.

Best of luck, bros!

Minotaur