Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

kcham is offline Cadet

Separate Fire / EMS

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew any states that have public fire and ems separate. I am hoping to get a job in the public sector and am willing to move, but do not want to work or get certified in fire.

Thanks!

FedAgent is offline Sergeant

Ems

I'm sure every state has at least some hospital based and/or private EMS. You might try inquiring with the applicable state's Office of EMS. My experience with private EMS (other than hospital based) is less 9-1-1 work and more inter-hospital transfer work. The transfers are guaranteed payment while 9-1-1 calls are not. If you are just exploring "a job in the public sector" and you do not have a burning desire to help people affected by serious medical conditions and/or traumatic, bloody, bone protruding injuries, I suggest some very deep soul searching. Please make sure you are capable of dealing with all facets of this career path.

Best of luck.
    Stay safe!

FedAgent

Jim1348 is offline Rookie

Separate Fire / EMS

Well, you did specify public EMS and since I live and work in Minnesota, I can point out Hennepin County Medical Center EMS. Probably the best thing, however, is to look to each states EMS licensing authority, like the previous posted stated. After you go through the list for Minnesota, once you remove the fire based and private services, it will be a short list. You also don't mention if you want full or part time work, although I suspect you mean full time. Also, do you want to be a paramedic, EMT, dispatcher, or something else?

https://mnstar.emsrb.state.mn.us/default.cfm

http://156.98.156.25/ambserv.asp

http://156.98.156.25/docs/ambulance_..._6272011-2.pdf

Bill M is offline Officer
    The middle Tennessee area has separate EMS services from the fire departments, at least in the counties that I have worked. The fire departments usually have paramedics on their rescue trucks as well who may respond first due to proximity, but EMS does the transporting and has the final say. Always seemed redundant to me, but it's how it is done.

kcham is offline Cadet
    Thank you for all your replies. I guess I should have been more thorough in my first post. I am currently working full-time in a hospital and private ambulance company as an EMT and getting my medic certification. I'm not looking for "public" just to work "public," but I am interested in being the 9-1-1 dispatch unit in an emergency. In my experience, the public sector gets more life-threatening calls and I guess I am what you call an adrenaline junky in the health care field. I have no interest in getting into fire science or certification and am also looking to relocate from my current location. It is also my understanding that separate fire and EMS are becoming near extinct, but I am looking to go somewhere and may possibly get my wilderness-, water-, height-, etc rescue if necessary to do this. I've tried doing the google search and turned to this forum in hopes of finding more useful information.

Thanks for the tips on Tennessee and Minnesota, Jim and Bill. I will definitely look into these options more!

JimSpoor is offline Moderator

icon31.gif You have to look at cities...

...not states. There is no statewide standard. Each municipality decides for itself how to provide EMS services. Fire based, hospital based, public utility model, private, third service, volunteer, or any combo are possible for 911. Also don't write off fire based too quickly. For example, FDNY-EMS is technically fire based but are single role providers, not cross trained. MAST in KC is third service example.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

kcham is offline Cadet
    Jim,

I did know about the municipal based, but was hoping for a broader scale to look at things. And thanks for the pointers about the separate but together with fire - I did not know that. So I guess I have quite the task ahead of me of looking at everything! Thank you for the information.

FedAgent is offline Sergeant

State Office of EMS

I should have been more specific regarding inquiring with the particular state Office of EMS (or whoever the regulating authority may be {i.e. Department of Community Health, etc.}) as that entity can give you a snapshot of EMS 9-1-1 service providers, whether private (municipal contract for 9-1-1) or city/county operated. That state office would have that info as it's the governing authority for licensure. Most EMS provider licenses are listed on the respective OEMS websites.
    Stay safe!

FedAgent

kcham is offline Cadet
    Thanks, FedAgent. That will make searching a little easier!

Quote Originally Posted by FedAgent View Post
    I should have been more specific regarding inquiring with the particular state Office of EMS (or whoever the regulating authority may be {i.e. Department of Community Health, etc.}) as that entity can give you a snapshot of EMS 9-1-1 service providers, whether private (municipal contract for 9-1-1) or city/county operated. That state office would have that info as it's the governing authority for licensure. Most EMS provider licenses are listed on the respective OEMS websites.
    At the state level I only have experience dealing with NY DOH so this may not apply everywhere. The state can provide you a database of how many EMS agencies of each category there are: private, government, volunteer, etc. With a written request they may provide you with a list of agencies that possess a Certificate of Need for a given geographical area, normally a county. This will generate a list of ALL EMS agencies operating in a given area. I haven't found a way to see who has the 911 contract from the state provided data. I am not a prolific data miner however. It may be there somewhere. In any case, when investigating possible career moves, it is often best to talk to the grunts on the ground. Talking to providers from the various agencies in a given area will quickly point you in the right direction. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
    P.S. If you pursue further EMS education, most of it is very fast paced. Stay on top, from the very beginning. If you get behind, it is very difficult to catch up for most people.

Bearcat06 is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSpoor View Post
    MAST in KC is third service example.
    MAST is no longer....KC Fire took that over April 2010...

They are separate divisions within....

http://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/Fire/index.htm

BearCat,
    Thanks for the correction. That is what this forum is all about, everyone working together to get the most accurate data available out there.

OP,
    Here is another example of a fire-based agency that uses single role providers.

CDW0311 is offline Cadet
    Boston EMS and Boston Fire are separate agencies. Not sure about EMS's residency requirements but for for BFD we have to live in city limits for the first 10 years on the job and 1 year prior to the exam. Check out cityofboston.gov and go from there. Good luck.

Thank for adding some info but in general it is frowned upon to respond to a thread where the last post is more than a week or two old. Please refer to the rules of the forum. This thread is now closed.