Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cassaka2 is offline Cadet

Ankle Holster for Sig 228

Does anyone carry a Sig 228 on their ankle and if so what holster do you use? Thanks in advance for any help.

modareguy is offline Sergeant
    Although the 228, is considered a 'compact', IMHO it would not be a good ankle gun, due to its weight and size. I would recommend a Sig 232 or 239, if you are seeking an 'Sig' ankle gun.

Forget world peace, try using a turn signal...

CT1811 is offline Rookie
    Why not a S&W J frame maybe in a model 340pd or sc? Only 12 oz. and chambered in .357. Just a suggestion, if you're interested there's a good ankle holster for the J frames here:

http://mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

Stay safe.

I would love to carry something different, but my agency only allows me to carry my gov issued Sig 228. I'm a fraud guy and a lot of folks in fraud do not carry at all. I stopped a guy from getting stabbed a few months ago at the Post Office and told myself I will allows carry, regardless of what short of investigations I am doing. I am just trying to find any other way to conceal as I am in California and it is too hot for a coat (and the vest screams cop).

TheGreatGonzo is offline Ducks don't wear pants!
    It is difficult for me to imagine anyone but a HUGE person carrying a P228 on the ankle. I have never seen it done and I just can't see how it would work. That is why nobody makes an ankle rig to fit it. Consider the safari vest. I know what you mean, but honestly, nobody things as much about it as we (other cops) do. Lots of people wear the vests, just like a lot of people wear fanny packs, but only we (other cops) tend to think it screams "I'm armed, I'm armed". There are also vests that don't appear as obvious, even to other cops...denim vests, fleece vests, flannel vests, etc. How about an untucked sports shirt? You don't have to go with the Magum P.I. Hawaiin shirt. Lots of outdoor wear companies (North Face, Columbia, Ex Officio, etc) make lightweight, short-sleeved sports shirts that are made to be work untucked. They are very popular in the Southeast.

For those times when you feel the P228 is just too large, but you want to be armed...have you considered getting a CCW permit from the county/state where you reside? If you were to do that, then you could choose to carry something much smaller and lighter (j-frame revolver, Kahr, etc) on your permit.

Just some thoughts,
    Gonzo

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

rzaruba is offline Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    For those times when you feel the P228 is just too large, but you want to be armed...have you considered getting a CCW permit from the county/state where you reside? If you were to do that, then you could choose to carry something much smaller and lighter (j-frame revolver, Kahr, etc) on your permit.
    But just remember, most of the time, unless you are on duty/there is a causal relationship to your duties, you are on your own.

Another reason I don't like ankle rigs. Long time ago, I had to run down a garbage strewn alley on 45th east of the Nick. As I ran down the alley my foot went thru the garbage and the ankle rig wedged between the stuff that was on the ground. It took me what seemed like forever to get free. This was with a J-frame. Since that time I have avoided ankle rigs.

The Answer is There is No Answer

id1811xecj is offline Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    It is difficult for me to imagine anyone but a HUGE person carrying a P228 on the ankle. I have never seen it done and I just can't see how it would work.
    I actually carry an HK USP compact on my ankle in a Galco ankle holster I bought for my Glock 27. I can't believe it fits.

kennethm3 is offline Chief
    Where can you still find bell bottoms to cover a mid-sized SIG on one's ankle?
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration, and sing about their grief

rzaruba is offline Chief
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethm3
    Where can you still find bell bottoms to cover a mid-sized SIG on one's ankle?
    Pretend it's 1974 again, and then go off looking for Patty Hearst?????????

The Answer is There is No Answer

Man, some great replys. I think I will go with Gonzo's idea of the sport shirts. I went looking today and found a bunch that look good and conceal very well. Thanks for the help.

jnc36rcpd is offline Cadet
    You can order the DeSantis Apache ankle holster for the SIG 228. I don't really recommend it. While the Apache is a great holster, the 228 is somewhat heavy for an ankle rig.

I'd recommend Gonzo's suggestions. Depending upon your office dress code, an untucked polo or sports shirt and an IWB might be the way to go.

Yeah the untucked shirt is the way to go. Office days thats cool, court/AUSA days suit and tie.

navy03 is offline Lieutenant
    Probably on an airplane flying to some country on TDY
    Although my experience is with the P229, there's enough similiarities that I can compare the two. First off, listen to what everyone says about an ankle holster. The P228 is too big and too heavy for an ankle holster. Also, I can't see the P228 being concealed well on the ankle unless you're wearing bell-bottoms or cargo pants 3 sizes too big (dressing like you're "in the hood"). Finally, a weapon that heavy will require the ankle strap to be sinched down pretty tightly. That being said, you'll be cutting off circulation to your foot and that gets uncomfortable quickly!

There are two options you might also want to consider. One is a tuckable inside the waistband holster. Galco makes 3 styles that come to mind: SkyOps, Ultra Deep Cover, & the USA holster. Each of those holsters allow you to wear shorts and tuck in a polo shirt (if that's your clothing style) while concealing the P228. Secondly, you might want to consider a belly band. A belly band works with any outfit, and also allows you to tuck in the shirt if that's your preference. Either one of these holsters can work with a shirt tucked in or untucked. If sweat is a serious issue with you, go with the holster and not the belly band, they'll protect the finish on the weapon better.

Gonzo made a great suggestion about wearing untucked shirts... the types of shirts that look best untucked are the shirts that are cut straight across on the bottom (as opposed to dress shirts that have "tails"). In the South, an untucked shirt is more common than a tucked in shirt (unless you're at church, a wedding, or a funeral... and in the Deep South, it's still not that uncommon to see an untucked shirt at those places).

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Thanks Navy,

Has anyone ever used any of the sugguested IWB holsters such as the Galco Skyops? Is it comfortable?

bars2badge is offline Sergeant

Belly band

Quote Originally Posted by navy03
    Secondly, you might want to consider a belly band. A belly band works with any outfit, and also allows you to tuck in the shirt if that's your preference. Either one of these holsters can work with a shirt tucked in or untucked. If sweat is a serious issue with you, go with the holster and not the belly band, they'll protect the finish on the weapon better...
    I have a buddy who carries his 228 in a belly band. It was completely invisible to me, infact I always thought he carried it in his bag. This option definitely beats the hell out of trying to carry on the ankle.
    Better than honor and glory and history's iron pen-
    Was the thought of duty done and the love of his fellow men
    - Richard Watson Gilder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast