Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    skyblue_123 Guest

Glocks for (small handed) Females?

I'm shopping around for a firearm. Have decided on make (Glock). Will not be carried concealed. Small handed female. Anyone care to share suggestions and / or referrals on models, pro's and con's...? Thanks.

concord160 is offline Moderator
    Nibbling on sponge cake, watching the sun bake...
    You may want to try the Glock 19 (9mm) or it's .40 equilavent. It's a medium size frame and good for smaller hands. The only smaller in Glocks is the Glock 26/27...which is also good for smaller hands, but I would not recommend if you are wearing it as a primary duty weapon (if you are in uniform)...makes for a better back-up or plain-clothes assignement weapon.

kennethm3 is offline Chief
    Go with the Glock 23, whick is the .40 S&W version of the 19. You can't beat it in a shoot out, just look at Border Patrol shooting statistics with the .40. It is small enough to be easily controlled by even the smallest hands yet has holds 10 rounds of .40 (civilian mags), has better punch than a 9mm and the ammo is only margianally more expensive than 9mm. You'll definately get the most bang for the buck.

CanineCop is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethm3
    Go with the Glock 23, whick is the .40 S&W version of the 19. You can't beat it in a shoot out, just look at Border Patrol shooting statistics with the .40. It is small enough to be easily controlled by even the smallest hands yet has holds 10 rounds of .40 (civilian mags), has better punch than a 9mm and the ammo is only margianally more expensive than 9mm. You'll definately get the most bang for the buck.
    Sorry Ken, I've got to disagree with you.
    Sky, If you are new to shooting go with the 9mm, it has probably 20-30% less felt recoil and runs about 40% cheaper than .40 cal. 40% isn't much if you're buying a box but if you're buying 10 boxes or 100 boxes it starts adding up. Walmart has 100 round value packs of 9mm for $10 and change the value pack in .40 will cost $14 and change when you can find it.
    Without having any hard numbers in front of me I will bet that Customs' success rate with their 9s is comparable to BPs with their .40s. The 9mm will win gun fights if you use it right and their are plenty of people using it to prove the point. I will agree that the .40 is more powerful but it is also harder on the gun, harder to shoot well (although not significantly for an experienced shooter) and more expensive. In all fairness I have carried a forty as much or more than I've carried a nine and the only time I've used a gun in self defense it was a .40. My opinion might be different if I had a 9mm fail to work for me.
    My 2 cents, John

skyblue_123 Guest
    You guys are a goldmine, thanks for all the information. I forgot to mention, I have a partial paralysis in my left little pinkie if it would make any difference. I broke my left arm several years ago; they put in a metal plate on my forearm, and it ended up pinching off a nerve. Long story short: severe atrophy in left hand and no use of the little pinkie finger, but I've learned to compensate for it over the years (can still type 65 wpm!). Bottom line: extremely weak grip on left but I'm right handed anyhow. I have learned to live with it and make up for it.

This firearm by the way will be for personal use, not job related (i.e., for my own protection and to go out and target shoot on the range). Won't be concealing it. If I take it with me in the car, will be carried in the legal manner (gun separated from clips, locked in a box, etc.). I used to target shoot for fun years back, with a .22 pistol and rifle and we also carried them with us a lot on the ranch when young and waaay before gun laws that are in effect now, but I'm admittedly out of practice (can't count the Disneyland shooting gallery, can I, even tho I usually never miss!). Plan on taking a gun safety course as well.

Thanks again for all your input - it's hard to cut through the hype and advertising and the best referrals usually come from those that carry all the time and depend on their firearms.

kennethm3 is offline Chief
    Canine,

My wife's agency carries the 9mm and one of their agents was recently in an off-duty shooting. He shot the "bad guy" almost a dozen times using duty weapon and ammo with many torso hits. When the ambulance arrived the perps words to the paramedics were "I don't so feel good". I'll stick with 155 grain .40S&W hollowpoints thank you.
    In case lots on the internet .40S&W is within a few cents per round of the same mfgr's 9mm.

Good luck, stay safe.

skyblue_123 Guest
    "I don't feel so good!"??? Yikes! Kennethm3 that is definately food for thought.....

If I ever had to shoot someone in self defense, I'd prefer they be not able to speak a damn word at all...if ya know what I mean!

pikevt is offline Lieutenant
    Although it is very small, the glock 26 (baby glock) is very nice. friend of mine just picked one up and I plan on doing the same.

CanineCop is offline Sergeant
    Sky said it best, "food for thought". I try to stay open minded.
    I kind of have to stick up for the 9mm since that is what my job makes me carry.
    Ken, what is the duty load for your wife's job?
    Stay Safe, John

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    I'll chime in here against the 9mm. I carried it for a number of years, when nothing else was available in autos. The FBI Miami Shootout in '85 led to some great ballistic work by the FBI and the reporting of the multiple failures of the 9mm in that gunfight. Everyone quickly switched from the much touted (at that time) 115 gr. 9mm to the 147 gr. for greater penetration. Still had numerous reports of shoot outs with defendants walking around afterwards with multiple hits, etc.

Soon as I could, I switched to the .45 and carried the 185 gr. Golden Sabres and the 230 gr. Federal JHPs. I love the .45 and believe in the concept of "flying ashtrays" (what they look like when they expand).

Later on after I could no longer carry my Colt, I went to Glock 45's and then Glock 40s for the concealability of the Glock 27.

Sure, you'll practice a little more with the .40 to get the same scores you'll get with the 9mm much sooner. But that's no reason to carry (in my opinion. a substandard round for 2004).

Go .40!
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

wicked50 is offline Cadet
    My girlfriend has the Glock 27 for a personal protection weapon at home and she handles it pretty good. I also carry the 27 as back up weapon and have no complaints. Good .40 that can get the job done.
    "HERE'S TO A LONG LIFE AND A MERRY ONE; A QUICK DEATH AND AN EASY ONE; A PRETTY GIRL AND AN HONEST ONE; A COLD DRINK-AND ANOTHER ONE."

deaspy is offline Rookie
    My wife also has small hands and she loves her Colt 1991 A1 Compact. It is a .45, but the recoil felt less than my glock 22.

good luck...
    "Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
    - Adlai Stevenson

TXStateCop is offline Officer
    A Glock 19 in 9mm would be a good choice...not too big and not too small. A slight concern that I would have would be your hand strength with your past injury. Remember you want something that you can shoot with either hand, just in case the situation dictates.

As far as the 9mm vs. .40. vs. .45 debate, shoot whichever caliber you can accurately. If you are great with 9mm, but are not that great with .40 or .45 then 9mm would be best. Well placed hits with a 9mm are still better than .40 or .45 rounds that are not well placed or do not hit their mark. With that I will say that I am a fan of the .45, as I feel that they are easier to shoot than the .40. Take a look at the Glock 36 as it is a narrow single column .45 and may be more comfortable than the 19 or 23.

I also echo what deaspy mentions about the Colt 1991A1 compact. A Springfield Ultra Compact or a Colt Defender is nice as well...the bull barrell on the Springer makes shooting easy. The felt recoil also seems less than a .40 to me as well.

Also with small hands, you may also want to take a look at other single column handguns, such as a Sig 239 or S&W 908 or 457. Not trying to confuse the issue or divert you from the Glocks as they are good guns, but if you have not held any other guns, you may want to do so.

Whatever you do, go to a gunstore and handle each of the models of Glocks and see which fits your hand the best. Once you do that, then you can decide on which caliber best suits you by shooting them.

Joe Friday is offline Officer
    Skyblue,

My experience has been that the baby-Glocks, or really any subcompact in a minor caliber (.32, .380, 9mm, etc.) is going to give you more felt recoil than a medium or full sized frame gun in the same, or larger, caliber.

I use a G26 as my CCW gun, but I tell you - I can't hit dick with it past 15 yards. The felt recoil is more than a full size frame .45 because of the G26's light weight. And I've got the pinky-rest mag extensions as well so I can get all 4 fingers on the sucker!

My advise is to go to a local range that rents some of the guns you may be interested in. Try some out see what works best for you. Start with a medium or full sized frame gun (depending on what fits in your hand comfortably) in 9mm.

Why 9mm? Well, 9mm is generally, with exceptions, the smallest caliber that you can have with a locked breach action. Someone of smaller stature will have an easier time cycling the slide on a locked breach action gun compared to a smaller caliber blowback action gun. (.32, 380, 9X18, etc...) If you have trouble with racking the slides, due to your condition, you could always consider a revolver or an autoloader with a tip barrel design.

Best of luck,
    -Joe

Rasputin is offline Captain
    You know, I think the thread forgot to mention all of those small handed men out there. LOL
    "Good, Our First Catch of the Day." SW:V ESB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast