Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

MTB_Patrol Guest

my boots are rubbing me raw!

I have "hard to fit" feet, size 12 extra wide. Upon the advice of an experienced officer, I purchased a pair of GALLS Duty Boots (SP460) and they are indeed very comfortable.... I think I could stand all day in these things! They are more comfortable than my favorite loafers even. HOWEVER, the padded material of top cuff is really chafing my calves in a manner I have never experienced before. After 8 hours of wear, they have rubbed through the skin down to raw flesh . What can I do to alleviate this? I Really like the comfort and fit of these boots!

MacLeod is offline Super Moderator
    Try wearing thicker sox that give you more protection higher on your half, or apply a genorous amount of "mole skin" to the area. This should eventually buy you enough time to wear the boots without chaffing your calves.

I personally can't stand boots any higher than 6". Danner makes a good tactical boot, "The Commander" which has a lower rise upper.

28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Birky is offline Dark Lord of the Sith
    Buy a pair of boot sox. I personally wear long tube socks and I have never had this problem.

MTB_Patrol Guest
    Originally posted by Birky
    Buy a pair of boot sox. I personally wear long tube socks and I have never had this problem.
    Hmm.... I think you guys are on to something here! I have always worn ankle socks.

I tried "over-the-calf" socks once and they keps creeping down, bunching up and driving me fricking nuts. Could be because my calves are so "built" from riding my bikes 200+ miles a week.

Dwight6 is offline Moderator
    Originally posted by MTB_Patrol
    Hmm.... I think you guys are on to something here! I have always worn ankle socks.
    Well, there you have it. Case solved. I have always worn black cotten tube socks and have never had a problem.

Ankle socks? Really?

MTB_Patrol Guest
    Originally posted by Dwight6

Ankle socks? Really?
    Yeah, those short little runners/cyclists type socks that come just above the ankle.

The CAN be fun too... check out : www(dot)sockguy(dot)com

Guess I gotta toughen up my calves.

CaptRidley is offline Lieutenant
    MTB,
    If you continue to have problems with your socks falling off your calves, simply fold the sock over the top of your boot. Yeah ankle socks with boots is not a good idea, it would be like wearing dress socks with sneakers.
    Did you replace the insoles that came with the boots. If not check out Spenco Insoles at your local Footlockers, and you will be walking on air. This combined with some good boot socks you will be in heaven. If this does not work, try some lower boots.
    Out here!!!
    Mike-D
    Today, I have given all that I can give.
    That which I have kept, I have lost forever.

MTB_Patrol Guest
    Originally posted by CaptRidley
    MTB,
    If you continue to have problems with your socks falling off your calves, simply fold the sock over the top of your boot.
    I stopped by the Red Wing boot store and got some "boot socks" ( $7.00 a pair!!! ) and folded them over the top, problem solved!

Did you replace the insoles that came with the boots.
    I did.... Though I have custom molded carbon fiber orthotics to help restrict my natural desire to pronate my feet when I walk/run.
    ( One of the guys on my Mountian Bike Patrol is a Physical Therapist ;-)