Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

ATFpoa is offline Lieutenant

Useful iPhone applications

The rumor around here is that we might see issued iPhones during this next year...

So I'll put it to the brethren: What are your most useful iPhone apps? They don't have to be law enforcement related, but they should be practical.
    A society that makes war against its police had better learn to make friends with criminals. - unknown

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    Yelp - Where to eat, everywhere
    TripAdvisor - Where to stay and reviews
    Weather HD - Weather in multiple cities, you choose!
    Angry Birds - For those long surveillances
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Kegan30317 is offline Sergeant
    Radio Scanner app. That one cuts both ways. You can listen in on other agencies when in that area. Bad guys can listen in on you.
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    The Chipotle app. . .delicious.
    That is the law. . . according to the rules.

colsanders is offline Cadet
    There's actually an app with the entire US code on it. Has come in handy when searching for obscure statutes. Called "US Code".

For photos, try Procamera and Photosynth.

Kimble is offline Captain
    For local/state LEOs (and maybe uniformed FLEOs) I've found "U.S Cop" app to be pretty good. Has info on LE news feeds, case law, traffic laws, drug info, LE for Spanish, a gang database, and computer-based training.

If you deal with informants (or just don't have an agency-issued cell phone) you can't beat Google Voice (which gives you a phone number that will ring to your cell, that you can make calls from, and text/receive texts from).

For the feds sitting in their office tired of writing another ROI/MOI report, you can't beat the Facebook app!
    Last edited by Kimble; 04-03-2012 at 16:35.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Society prepares the crime; the criminal commits it." -Chinese proverb

It will be interesting to see if they will let you down load apps on a g phone. Our security policy precludes it on blackberries.

Kegan30317 is offline Sergeant
    Another one I found recently and has proved helpful - My Pharmacy. Put in shape, color and markings of a pill and it identifies it for you.
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    On the corporate side, and I suspect you'll see it eventually in LE, we're dealing now with BYOD. Bring Your Own Device. You bring your own phone (approved list) and we install our apps for your commo. But it's YOURS, meaning you can download whatever you want. The company no longer pays the hardware cost and if you're talking thousands of phones, you're talking big savings.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

irish056 is offline Cadet
    Genius scan lets you take picture and saves it as a pdf...you can attach it to an email from the app w/out having to open mail and find the saved photo.

krellum is offline 'cause Sgt. D is comin'

On the corporate side, and I suspect you'll see it eventually in LE, we're dealing now with BYOD. Bring Your Own Device. You bring your own phone (approved list) and we install our apps for your commo. But it's YOURS, meaning you can download whatever you want. The company no longer pays the hardware cost and if you're talking thousands of phones, you're talking big savings.
    I was already using my personal phone (Iphone) because it gets a better signal (different carrier). When it came time to replace my POS Blackberry with (surprise, surprise) a newer, shiner, POS Blackberry, I asked to be allowed to use my own phone for everything and was cleared to do so.

Apps which I have found useful:

Compass
    Voice Memos
    Sticky Notes
    PDF Reader
    Password Wallet
    IDucks (a waterfowl ID guide - helpful for game warden-types)
    Flashlight Pro
    Gun Disassembly and RifleGun Pro ('game'-like interface where you can break down and re-assmble most modern weapons - helpful for armorers)
    iTalk - a recorder app that I've actually used to back up my agency-issued digital recorder during interviews
    Last edited by krellum; 12-26-2012 at 19:20.
    "I don't share your greed...the only card I need...is the Ace of Spades, the Ace of Spades..."