Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    qbnmami Guest

Do Poppy Seeds show up on the Drug test?

OK here's the deal, I took my drug test on Thursday afternoon and today I just remembered that the day before I had a bagel that had poppy seeds. I was told by a co-worker that this may show up as opium.

Is this true? This is the last and final step to get hired! I will go nuts if due to a bagel I don't get the job!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

FLdeputy Guest
    No.

You have heard a popular "urban legend" among those who look for an excuse for testing positive for opiates.

It might be possible to cause a “positive” for opiates by eating poppy seeds IF you did not eat for 24 hours and consumed several tablespoons of poppy seeds, and took a drug test 2 – 3 hours later.

Poppy seeds come from the same plant that is used to make opium (and morphine, heroin, etc.).

If it makes you feel better, though, avoid the morning bagel or seeded burger bun at least 24 hours prior to your screening.

FLdeputy

CaptRidley is offline Lieutenant
    You would have to eat a $hit load of bagels

Sorry I couldn't resist, but it was always funny when Marines would ask me that question, but then pop for THC or X.

Same with the hemp seed oil. Sir my wife cooks with hemp seed oil, and I think I will pop positive on the drug screening we just took. No $hit Devil Dawg, but I'm willing to bet it will not be from that hemp seed oil, as you would have to drink that stuff by the gallons, and I don't think you do that do you?

In any event you will be fine.

Out here!!!
    Mike-D
    Today, I have given all that I can give.
    That which I have kept, I have lost forever.

rammx32 is offline Sergeant
    It would have to be a ton of seeds bro!

nj1118 is offline Officer
    OK, I don't know much about the science of drug testing, but I heard that it can happen if the test is set up to detect a very small level of opium, but usually the level is set high enough to tell the difference between a drug user and someone who ate a few poppy seeds on a bagel. I also heard the NFL steroid testing works this way, and that players who use know how to stay under the level that is detected. Does this sound right?

krellum is offline 'cause Sgt. D is comin'
    This is probably one of the best drug questions I've seen in a while (it was definitely something I didn''t know). Good job.

Moving it to the "drug questions" forum, where it may get more attention from people who may have this issue on their minds (and who check that forum).

k

CaptRidley is offline Lieutenant
    Originally posted by nj1118
    OK, I don't know much about the science of drug testing, but I heard that it can happen if the test is set up to detect a very small level of opium, but usually the level is set high enough to tell the difference between a drug user and someone who ate a few poppy seeds on a bagel. I also heard the NFL steroid testing works this way, and that players who use know how to stay under the level that is detected. Does this sound right?
    I don't know how it works outside of the military but I'm sure it can't be too far off.

There is a certain cutoff that is allowable for some substances. Keeping in mind that your body naturally produces THC. There is a cut off and it is very evident when the testing comes back positive.

Lets say that treshold is about 20 - 40 nanograms in your system but your sample tested for say 300 and up, that is not second hand smoke Devil Dawg. That means you took a puff and oh yeah you inhaled, a couple of times as a matter of fact. Not sure what the cut off is for other drugs, and I'm not sure if other drugs that the body does not have it's own source of will receive the same consideration. Does that make sense. For instance there is probably something for Steroids that is similar, but I can't see for a reason for say Cocaine or other similar hard corps drugs.

It has been a while since I saw a urinalysis message, in any event the message would list the allowable amount, and indicate what the sample tested for.

Out here!!!
    Mike-D

PS., They use steroids in the NFL?
    Today, I have given all that I can give.
    That which I have kept, I have lost forever.

kennethm3 is offline Chief
    The answer is no. The chemical that is tested for isn't present in sufficient quantities in the raw form of common poppy seeds. The chemical appears later in the "process" after opium poppies have been synthesyzied into drug form.

tbones is offline Rookie

Avoid bagels!

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but I was an emergency room technician and frequently assisted doctors and nurses with drug tests. The doc's and nurses always asked if the patients were on medication and if they have consumed poppy seeds. Keep in mind that I was an ER tech about 8 years ago, and I'm hopeful that the tests have become more accurate since then.

One poppy seed bagel can show between 200 - 250 ng/mL of opiates in your system. I'm not sure what the threshold for a positive test is for federal drug testing is today, but according to this article below from the health and human services website, it was 400 ng/mL in 1998 and was raised to 2,000 ng/mL. It may even be higher now. But, I'd still not eat a lot of poppy seed bagels!

References:

http://www.hhs.gov/asl/testify/t980723f.html
    http://www.norchemlab.com/reference/dtq/0007dtq02.htm

qbnmami Guest

Thank You

all for your responses, makes me breathe a little easier but I still have that doubt in the back of my mind.

Chances are you guys are right

I'll keep you all posted...

Thanks again.

ATF SAC is offline The Moderate Moderator
    Frosty, frosty my friends. Subject to random screens for a lot of my Fed career. Like bagels and poppy seed bagels especially. Ate em the morning of screens and if voracious, two. No problem.
    ret.

dmclark is offline Moderator & Double X-Fed
    Gee, this poppy seed thing has become an "urban legend". And the answer is no. Like ATFSAC, I've pee'd in alot of bottles and tubes in 27 years at DEA. And I too liked my poppy seeded hard rolls. Fagetaboutit!!!
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

tbones is offline Rookie
    Even if one poppy seed bagel contained 250 ng/mL of opiates like I posted above, that would mean that you would have to eat around 8 of them before your drug test. I'd say if one were eating 8 bagels before a drug test, there are other issues that need to be addressed!

Even though poppy seed bagels are a non-issue for drug testing, I still won't look at a poppy seed bagel the same way again. It's amazing to me how paranoid the interview process can make you!

Ted

ATF SAC is offline The Moderate Moderator
    In a lighter mode as a friend once said, "If you are taking urine samples, don't let me get in your way."
    ret.

Jdiablo is offline Officer
    We used to hear this poppy seed bagel thing all of the time while working for the Air Force. Seemed like every guy we busted was using that excuse. Must have been a bagel shop on base I didn't know about....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast