Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

loveprowler2000 Guest

Non-Scheduled, Non-Controlled Prescription Drug Use?

A family member once gave me a prescription drug - ultrum to alleviate pain. It is a non-scheduled, non-controlled substance, but it does require a prescription.

I intend to apply with the FBI to be a special agent. Does this experience preclude me from the hiring process? This experience happened 4 years ago, but I want to make sure I am forth-coming with all information.

What are your thoughts and/or advice.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Birky is offline Dark Lord of the Sith
    If it requires a prescription then it is controlled if not then you would be able to buy them over the counter. I am not that familiar with the schedule of drugs but I am sure that the drug you mentioned is somewhere on them. As for your question I do not think that the one time use of a prescription drug will effect your application as long as you disclose the info.

loveprowler2000 Guest

Drug Status Per DEA

Birky,

The medication listed in my original post is spelled "ultram." I mispelled it in my original message.

"Ultram" is not listed as a scheduled substance by the DEA and FDA. It does require a prescription however.

My specific question: Is this medication considered an illegal drug considering it is not a scheduled substance?

I ask this question because the FBI application form contains an employment disqualification checklist where the question, "Have you ever taken an illegal drug?", is asked. I really just want clarification as to whether or not a non-scheduled prescription drug forces me to answer yes to this question. There is no room to elaborate further as it's a Yes/No question.

I'm really worried about this and I'm not sure if I need to be. Any advice and/or info. (good or bad) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

SecretNY is offline The Secret Moderator
    North of the border between the US and Miami
    Chirs it is not illegal if you had a perscription for it. Ultram is a mild non-opiate pain medicine thus it is not on the same schedule at such drugs as Vicodin or Oxycotin. Those drugs are LEGAL as well as long as you have a perscription for it. Now as far as your app goes, I would be upfront with the fact that you took your mom's pain reliever one day.

Good luck,
    SecretNY
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    ---Hemingway