Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

UNHDET is offline Cadet

NH Police Officer Killed, Suspect Killed by Bystander

http://www.wmur.com/news/13309049/detail.html

FRANCONIA, N.H. -- A Franconia police officer was shot and killed during a routine motor vehicle stop on Friday.

The state attorney general's office says Cpl. Bruce McKay, 48, was shot four times and run over by the suspect's car on Route 116 in Franconia. McKay was a 12-year veteran of the Franconia Police Department.

The state attorney general's office says the incident began Friday night when McKay attempted to pull over Liko Kenney on Route 116. Kenney took off, leading McKay on a brief pursuit.

Investigators say when McKay stopped Kenney a second time a mile up the road, he used pepper spray to subdue him. According to police, that's when Kenney shot the officer four times and the proceeded to run the officer over with his car.

State Attorney General Kelly Attorney said a passer-by, Gregory Floyd, 49, witnessed the incident and rushed to the officer's aid. Investigators say Floyd grabbed McKay's gun and ordered Kenney to drop his weapon. According to Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin, Floyd fatally shot Kenney when he tried to reload his gun.

Ayotte said the state has decided Floyd's actions were justified and he will not be facing any charges.

According to police, there was a previous incident involving McKay and Kenney. Back in 2003, Kenney was convicted of simple assault and resisting arrest for an incident involving McKay.

Family members said Kenney was ski champion Bode Miller's cousin. Back in September 2005, McKay pulled Bode Miller over on Route 116 for going 83 mph in a 40 mph zone.

As of Saturday afternoon, Miller did not return any calls to comment about the incident.

Friday night, Gov. John Lynch ordered all flags be lowered to half staff. He also visited with first responders in Franconia on Saturday who spent the night investigating McKay's death.

He said, "My thoughts and prayers, and those of my wife, Susan, are with the family of the New Hampshire police officer killed this evening while serving the people of our state."

The last police officer killed in the line of duty was Manchester Officer Michael Briggs, who was shot and killed in October 2006.

The prayers and thoughts of the members of the UNH PD are with Cpl. McKay and his family.

GoodGuy113 is offline Lieutenant

I'm deeply saddened.

Quote Originally Posted by UNHDET View Post
    http://www.wmur.com/news/13309049/detail.html

FRANCONIA, N.H. -- A Franconia police officer was shot and killed during a routine motor vehicle stop on Friday.

The state attorney general's office says Cpl. Bruce McKay, 48, was shot four times and run over by the suspect's car on Route 116 in Franconia. McKay was a 12-year veteran of the Franconia Police Department.

The state attorney general's office says the incident began Friday night when McKay attempted to pull over Liko Kenney on Route 116. Kenney took off, leading McKay on a brief pursuit.

Investigators say when McKay stopped Kenney a second time a mile up the road, he used pepper spray to subdue him. According to police, that's when Kenney shot the officer four times and the proceeded to run the officer over with his car.

State Attorney General Kelly Attorney said a passer-by, Gregory Floyd, 49, witnessed the incident and rushed to the officer's aid. Investigators say Floyd grabbed McKay's gun and ordered Kenney to drop his weapon. According to Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeff Strelzin, Floyd fatally shot Kenney when he tried to reload his gun.

Ayotte said the state has decided Floyd's actions were justified and he will not be facing any charges.

According to police, there was a previous incident involving McKay and Kenney. Back in 2003, Kenney was convicted of simple assault and resisting arrest for an incident involving McKay.

Family members said Kenney was ski champion Bode Miller's cousin. Back in September 2005, McKay pulled Bode Miller over on Route 116 for going 83 mph in a 40 mph zone.

As of Saturday afternoon, Miller did not return any calls to comment about the incident.

Friday night, Gov. John Lynch ordered all flags be lowered to half staff. He also visited with first responders in Franconia on Saturday who spent the night investigating McKay's death.

He said, "My thoughts and prayers, and those of my wife, Susan, are with the family of the New Hampshire police officer killed this evening while serving the people of our state."

The last police officer killed in the line of duty was Manchester Officer Michael Briggs, who was shot and killed in October 2006.

The prayers and thoughts of the members of the UNH PD are with Cpl. McKay and his family.
    I came into work today and saw the tragic news. I was roommates with Bruce at the NH police academy, class 109. I am heartbroken. Bruce took me under his wing at the academy and helped me through all the stresses and made my life so much easier while at the academy. He will be greatly missed! Rest in peace my brother, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE!
    God made cops so firefighters could have heros!

DoD NucE is offline Lieutenant

icon18.gif

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy113 View Post
    I came into work today and saw the tragic news. I was roommates with Bruce at the NH police academy, class 109. I am heartbroken. Bruce took me under his wing at the academy and helped me through all the stresses and made my life so much easier while at the academy. He will be greatly missed! Rest in peace my brother, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE!
    Without question another life taken too soon. This kind of news seems to be coming all too often lately. GoodGuy, I'm very saddened by your loss and I offer you my most sincere condolences.

Rest in Peace Corporal McKay
    "Chance favors the prepared mind"

"I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference"

Lupey is offline Captain
    Much more detailed report as to what happened

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...8-299d170dd507
    You can say you've got issues. You can say you're a victim. It's all your parents fault, After all you didn't pick em Well maybe Oprah's got time to listen. My give a damn's busted. I really wanna care, I wanna feel somethin' Let me dig a little deeper... Nope... Sorry... Nothin'

mikemac64 is offline Rookie
    The Boston Globe is playing this up as some sort of fued instead of some dink who shot a cop and then ran him over. After Bode Miller's performance, on and off the mountain, at the last Olympics I concluded he was a jerk. I guess it runs in the family.

Kudo's to the passerby and his son who intervened.
    USMC Veteran.

sleoII404 Guest
    I was repulsed by his situation when I read "Town Divided" over death of cop and "Hippie Kid." How can the town be divided?!?!?! Liko killed Cpl. McKay in cold blood. NOBODY should be divided. those siding with Liko are spreding the message that it's okay to kill a police officer if they are a "bully." Many consider what we do bullying, because what we do is make people accountable to their mistakes, and for the guilty they consider that bullying.

This is a good reality check for those wanting to be in this profession and a sad truth for those of us who are in the profession. Even when a police officer is shot in cold blood the public has a "wishy washy" stance on who is right and who is wrong.

I pray for Cpl. Mckay and his friends and family.

I have nothing but disgust for Liko and those who support him.

----------------------------------------------
    Town Divided Over Traffic Stop Killings
    By BEVERLEY WANG and JOHN CURRAN
    AP
    FRANCONIA, N.H. (May 17) -- Liko Kenney, who friends described as a free-spirited "Hippie kid," had a history of bad blood with police Cpl. Bruce McKay. So there was the potential for trouble when a traffic stop brought them together again.
    Within minutes of the Friday stop, both were dead, dividing this town's 924 residents between those who see McKay as a fallen hero and those who considered him a bully with a badge.

"It's a tragic situation - two men lost and two families devastated," said Steve Heath, owner of the Franconia Village Store.

Beyond that, there's little agreement about the tragedy in Franconia, where local Olympian Bode Miller - Kenney's cousin - is royalty. His image appears on posters, signs and keepsakes all over town.

Authorities say McKay, 48, stopped Kenney, 24, for speeding, and Kenney asked to deal with a different officer and drove away.

By the time McKay caught up about a mile down the road, Kenney was in a frenzy, according to his friend and passenger, Caleb Macauley.

"I've never seen anyone so scared in my life," Macauley told WMUR-TV.

McKay forced him off the road and pepper-sprayed him. Kenney then shot McKay four times and drove over him.

Gregory Floyd, a passing motorist and ex-Marine who saw it all, grabbed McKay's gun and shot Kenney to death when he refused to put his gun down. Authorities quickly ruled the killing justified.
    McKay, who had a 9-year-old daughter, was to have been married in July atop Cannon Mountain, where Bode Miller learned to ski. Instead his funeral will be held at the mountain.

As many as 6,000 officers from throughout the country are expected to attend Thursday's funeral, but in this close-knit mountain valley, where the Kenney family's roots run deep, at least one town may hold back.

Plans to send two fire department vehicles from neighboring Easton triggered a heated debate at the selectmen's meeting Monday night. Chairman Paul White, who is married to Kenney's cousin, moved to keep them away in protest.

Liko Kenney grew up on his grandparents' rustic tennis camp in Easton, where the extended family still lives. Liko's parents own a coffee plantation in Hawaii, and he followed their seasonal migrations: the islands in winter, the White Mountains in summer.

"He was kinda just a happy, hippie kid. He'd do anything to help anyone," said Holly Hayward, 48, who said she'd known Kenney his whole life.

Friends and family called Kenney a free-spirited outdoorsman who loved all-terrain vehicles and had issues with authority. Court records show he could be volatile even with his own family. In January 2003, an aunt, Larisa Kenney, sought a restraining order against her nephew, then 19. In a handwritten letter, she told the court Liko had frightened her by chainsawing trees near her cabin, sending one crashing onto her roof as she slept. When she confronted him, she said Liko exploded - shouting, grabbing her and then following her on his ATV as she ran to safety at a relative's home.

Just weeks later, Liko Kenney had a violent run-in with McKay, who had followed tire tracks into an isolated parking area. Court documents say it took three officers to subdue Kenney, who tried to escape three times, once while cuffed and shackled. One officer said Kenney grabbed McKay in the groin and that McKay reacted by punching Kenney in the face. Kenney's family and many in town say McKay broke Kenney's jaw that night, but Grafton County Attorney Rick St. Hilaire said Kenney's jaw was not broken.

Kenney could have gone to prison after pleading guilty to resisting arrest and assaulting McKay. But he got 15 days in jail, time served, when McKay asked for leniency, according to St. Hilaire.

Bill Kenney, 56, said the run-in changed Liko, and that his nephew started carrying a weapon because he feared McKay. Other residents say they found him intimidating as well.

"McKay had an attitude, he was rough on people," said florist Jean McLean, 53, who remembers once asking McKay to leave after he tried to shoo away teenagers playing Hacky Sack in front of her store. She called the killings "vigilante justice."

McKay was one of three full-time officers in the department and prosecuted some of its smaller cases. One man, Timothy Stephenson, sued McKay in 2005, alleging that he used his prosecutor's role to settle scores.

The men settled the case last year, with neither admitting blame.

Bode Miller also chafed against McKay, telling Sports Illustrated that he contested a 2005 speeding ticket in part to antagonize the officer.

Police Chief Mark Montminy called McKay a dedicated officer who served the town and department well.

"We don't harass people. He did his job, he did it well, everybody was treated the same. He was very knowledgeable and very professional, a dedicated police officer," Montminy said.

Pastor Gary Hart of Franconia Community Church of Christ said McKay's image as a law-and-order man in an old hippie town may have distanced him from others.

"Most of the time people saw him he was in his patrol vehicle, he was in uniform, he was stopping people on the road for speeding. And once you get a reputation, it's almost impossible to change it," said Hart, who does some police chaplain work.

Hart said he was impressed when McKay responded to a complaint he once made about a noisy wedding reception.

"So when people tell me he was so difficult, that hadn't been my experience," Hart said.
    Last edited by sleoII404; 05-17-2007 at 12:41.

GoodGuy113 is offline Lieutenant

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by sleoII404 View Post
    I pray for Cpl. Mckay and his friends and family.

I have nothing but disgust for Liko and those who support him.

AMEN! Knowing Cpl. Mckay personally really hit home. It is the first time in 12 years losing someone in the line of duty that I knew personally. It is very sad. I agree with you that this scumbag killed a police officer. I know many cops who are very strict in their enforcement of the law. HELL, that is what we are paid to do. Just because someone is firm, but fair, doesn't make them a bully. The news reported that Cpl. Mckay even asked the court for mercy when Liko was sentenced for assaulting him several years ago. So no one can convience me that Liko had a reason to be afraid of Cpl. Mckay. I agree this is BS. This is one of the things I hate most about such an honorable profession. I hate to see what people say, God forbid, should I be killed in the line of duty.

Too much media attention is given to the sumbags and not enough to the victim. God Bless Cpl. Mckay and his family. I will miss you brother!
    God made cops so firefighters could have heros!

RyanRJ is offline Officer
    Again some more terrible news, I am truly saddened to hear this. I almost can’t believe the number of these incidents happening lately, it just seems like the numbers are sky rocketing. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. GoodGuy133 I am also sorry for your loss as well. As for Cpl. Bruce McKay, RIP.

Again the media in this country never fails to make me fail sick to my stomach. They are mentioning things in the story that are completely unrelated to anything that has happened. Also, thanks for Gregory Floyd actions and being there at the right time to assist.