Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cjshsu Guest

New TX DPS Internship

Hi Guys,

I recently heard about a new paid internship being offered through DPS. This is the first paid internship they have ever done. It is though remarkably different from any other internship. In this one, you are hired the first day of your internship at trooper-trainee level. You then spend one week in each division, for a total of 7 weeks. After this, you go straight to the academy. Like I said, this is fairly new and I just heard about it today from a recruiter. Does anyone else have any more info on this?

Some of the details can be found at the DPS website: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainin...internship.htm

We had more information in a flyer with our checks a few months back. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.
    Texas 9C1

cjshsu Guest
    Right, I knew about the website's internship page, but thats always been for the unpaid internship. I was just seeing if anybody had new info. This new paid internship apparently was just introduced in the past month.

FWIW, a Trooper on another board mentioned DPS hiring people for the September academy as an intern (Trooper-Trainee level pay). This, I guess, is a way to keep those that are hired from jumping ship to an agency with an academy that is a little sooner.

cjshsu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SHSURobert View Post
    FWIW, a Trooper on another board mentioned DPS hiring people for the September academy as an intern (Trooper-Trainee level pay). This, I guess, is a way to keep those that are hired from jumping ship to an agency with an academy that is a little sooner.
    FWIW? Where is the specific post?

cjshsu Guest

Gotcha...

Okay, I just found some more information on it. On the Texas DPS website, under Press Releases, they posted some more info about it. Just published today.

I assume this program is for individuals who have made it through the hiring process and are just awaiting an acadmey start date. Its a way to get them on the payroll, rather then just waiting around. What if you prefer to stay at your current job and just wait on the academy date to start to get on the dps payroll? I ask this because some guys and girls present job pays substantially more then the recruit pay. Are you afforded a choice?

DPS Internship

If you are accepted into the program, you can choose to stay in your current job, or begin the program. The salary is the same as a recruit, something like 2600 a month. (Dont hold me to that). But you begin to accumulate benefits such as insurance 401K, sick leave and vacation. I'm not exactly sure how it works if you finish the 7 weeks, but the Academy has not started yet. The website might explain it better, or contact your Regional recruiter.

Can someone describe a "typical" day during the dps academy? What time is wake up, average daily pt mileage, class, lunch, break, lights out etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nolacop View Post
    Can someone describe a "typical" day during the dps academy? What time is wake up, average daily pt mileage, class, lunch, break, lights out etc. Thanks.

bump for more info on the "typical day". there was once a diary of a recruit during the academy that was posted on the dps website, anyone have the link? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nolacop View Post
    Been to USMC boot camp?

Up at 4:30am, PT 'til 5:45am, breakfast at 6:00am, class starts at 7:45am, lunch, day class over at 5:00PM, dinner, night class (occasional) from 6:00PM to 8:00PM.

Lights out at 10:00PM, periodic wake-ups at all hours for tests and P.T.

Dismissed between 5:00PM and 8:00PM on Friday, depending on when the counselors let you leave. Return between Noon and 6:00PM Sunday, depending on when the counselors tell you to be back.

EDIT: P.T mileage varies from 2 miles to 8 miles, depending on how far the counselors want you to run. I'm sure the maximum is different for each academy. The furthest we ran at one time was 10 miles.
    Last edited by Texas9C1; 05-21-2007 at 21:28.
    Texas 9C1

Quote Originally Posted by Texas9C1 View Post
    Been to USMC boot camp?

Up at 4:30am, PT 'til 5:45am, breakfast at 6:00am, class starts at 7:45am, lunch, day class over at 5:00PM, dinner, night class (occasional) from 6:00PM to 8:00PM.

Lights out at 10:00PM, periodic wake-ups at all hours for tests and P.T.

Dismissed between 5:00PM and 8:00PM on Friday, depending on when the counselors let you leave. Return between Noon and 6:00PM Sunday, depending on when the counselors tell you to be back.

EDIT: P.T mileage varies from 2 miles to 8 miles, depending on how far the counselors want you to run. I'm sure the maximum is different for each academy. The furthest we ran at one time was 10 miles.

yep..been there and done that with USMC boot camp. not sure if i wanna go through that again, grrrr. thanks for the insight.

I drove through the DPS campus when I was in Austin this weekend. I vote that DPS HQ get a freggin' face lift. A little old and decrepit looking.

Quote Originally Posted by SHSURobert View Post
    I drove through the DPS campus when I was in Austin this weekend. I vote that DPS HQ get a freggin' face lift. A little old and decrepit looking.
    The latest word is they are planning on moving the entire training facility to the same land the gun range is on in Florence. Dorms and all. They're planning on building a driving track there also.

I absolutely hate going to headquarters. I'll rent a room at Holiday Inn for a week before I'll stay in that damn dorm again. Flashbacks!
    Texas 9C1

PTSD from the academy, eh? LOL

Oh yeah, congrats on the pay raise!