Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

NC BLET and/or Detention officer corse

Ok. Here is my situation: I am in the army national guard and deploying very soon. I plan on taking either the BLET or detention officer corse When i return from overseas. I plan on making a career out of law enforcment and just wonering the best path to take considering my situation. I was wanting to take BLET when i get back but it takes a pretty good bit of time compared to the detention officer corse(5 weeks). What i really want to do is be a sworn police/sheriff officer. but the detention corse takes a shorter amount of time and i have a possibility of being employed quicker and getting a foot in law enforcment as a CO. Would anyone reccomend just starting out as a CO and later on taking BLET, or start out taking BLET and going for a sworn police/sheriff officer from the begenning? also what can i expect as far as training, PT, tests, ect. from BLET and/or Detention officer corse? Im just wanting to hear some other opinions so any input is apreicated, thanks.

Welcome Aboard Bull and thank you for your NG service. I am not from NC and so cannot speak definitively on either course. I'm sure others will chime in. Please allow me to give you my thoughts on what are 2 related but different professions. Whether you are looking at a career as a Corrections Officer or as a sworn Police Officer you will be choosing an honorable path. Both careers are often misunderstood. You have hit on one of the major differences. It is often easier to enter the CO ranks. There is more likely to be hiring going on. Unfortunately some street officers, and even some hiring panels do not look at time spent as a CO as being beneficial to you being hired as a police officer. Most don't feel this way, but some do. You have said that your goal is to become a local or county sworn officer and would be using the jail as a stepping stone. I have no problem with that as long as you give the corrections dept. your all while you are there. Others will advise you that since your goal is BLET, then focus on that; and they would not be wrong. However, I personally think that time spent working behind the walls and dealing with inmates on a daily basis teaches invaluable skills to the prospective officer on the street. If possible, I would say that your best bet would be concentrate on the county sheriffs'. Many of them will have officers start in the jail and then promote to the road. Not all, but many. In these circumstances, the county will often send you to BLET right away, even if you are assigned to the jail.

One last thought: Corrections work is not for everyone, and few if any see it as a long term career before they get there. However, some grow to love it, and will have a satisfying career in Law Enforcement protecting their community as a CO.

Good Luck, Stay Safe, and keep the Board informed how it goes.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Well i was hoping to hear a few more opinions on this topic, but i thank you for yours.

I'm a NC native and I did corrections and local LE in my pre-fed life. BLET is what you want for longer term pay off. It takes more time because, quite frankly, its training is higher value in the LE community and higher quality. I will throw out there another option too... many community colleges in NC offer a BLET night school so that the recruits can still work a fulltime job somewhere while earning their BLET certification. If you will be in need of immediate income, I'd say do whatever job floats your boat during the day and do BLET at night. Those six months of your life will be demanding since you'd be working all day and learning in the evening, but well worth it in the end if local or state LE work is your career goal.

BLET is not terribly difficult physically or mentally for someone who is used to an active lifestyle. The PT is approximately 3-4 days a week for 60 minutes. The PT test is called the POPAT (Police Officer Physical Agility Test). It's a fairly simple obstacle course that has to be completed in sub-7:20 in order to pass BLET.

The classroom and practicals are split up into blocks of instruction by category (Traffic Control Techniques, Basic Investigations, Subject Control and Arrest Techniques, etc.). After each block of instruction, you have a written or practical test that you pust pass with a 70 or better. This is where my memory fails me now, but there's a limited number of re-takes allowed before you're DQ'd. I want to say you get 2 or 3 re-takes, but I'm not sure. At the end of BLET, there is a state administered written exam (multiple choice) that you must pass with a 70 or better to obtain state certification. This certification says that you are now eligible to be employed as a police officer in NC. It is then up to an agency to decide to hire you, if you are not already hired during BLET.

Hopefully, the mods won't ding for the link, but here's the POPAT course explained:
    http://www.highpointnc.gov/police/do...te_Package.pdf

And the topics included in the NC BLET curriculum plus FAQ's can be found here:
    BLET January 2012

BLET enrollment requires that a local or state agency sponsor you. That does not mean that they have hired you or agree that they will hire you. It simply means that the agency has met you and believes you are an employable candidate for basic LE training. Some large departments run their own BLET academies in house, so recruits are hired and receiving a trainee salary while they're in BLET. Off the top of my head, I know Winston-Salem PD, High Point PD, and Charlotte Mecklenburg PD run their own academies and their cadets are on payroll.

Good luck and thank you for serving!

Stay away from Lenoir Community College BLET.

Thanks for the info Gracie. And to Aj: I live in Jackson county so I'll be going to Southwestern CC. If anyone has any info on there BLET, let me know.

Bull- Look at Home and go the link for military members. You earned a privilege with our department by serving our country. Take advantage of it and my e-mail is within the web page. Thanks for serving.