Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Can't understand the thought process

I can't understand the thought process of the administration within my department. I have been with them for only four months and feel like the life is being sucked out of me. We don't execute search warrants hardly ever, we don't house prisoners more than twenty four hours. Don't house, arrest, or detain female prisoners at all so if we so them and they can't bond they just walk. Have no police issue firearm, we have to purchase. The best we are issued are dated to 2002. Does anyone else have this many problems? Mind you that the department i am with only has fifteen officers...

Can't Understand The Thought Process

Quote Originally Posted by fish7969 View Post
    I can't understand the thought process of the administration within my department. I have been with them for only four months and feel like the life is being sucked out of me. We don't execute search warrants hardly ever, we don't house prisoners more than twenty four hours. Don't house, arrest, or detain female prisoners at all so if we so them and they can't bond they just walk. Have no police issue firearm, we have to purchase. The best we are issued are dated to 2002. Does anyone else have this many problems? Mind you that the department i am with only has fifteen officers...
    To answer your question regarding about anyone else having this many problems, the answer is a resounding "YES", in fact that many and more at many places. I could give you many examples of unusual policies at the agencies I have worked at as well as others I am familiar with. Given the fact that you have only four months on and it is an agency with only fifteen officers, my suggestion is to try very hard to fit in and work well within your agency. Don't alienate your fellow officers and try not to sound disappointed with your agency. Think long and hard about whether you see yourself staying or moving on.

I suspect that you will be interested in moving on and that is certainly understandable. In that case, do what you can to make yourself attractive to other agencies. Don't take the first offer you get, though, just to leave where you are now, however. Think long term on this. Way all of the options. Do ride alongs with other agencies that interest you.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, ALL agencies have quirks. Trust me on this one. The key is to find an agency that you really want to be at so that their quirks don't bother you much!

Morale

In 1991, my department had 15 officers. I was patrolling in a 1980 Ford LTD (with a 351 Windsor, though ) that had plastic toggle switches for the blue lights. We had to make "jail checks" every 30 minutes and cover 9-1-1 when the dispatcher was ready for her lunch break. Therfore, we had to get GCIC/NCIC certified. That was a 40 hour course from HELL. Our department issued everything, but several neighboring departments did not. Our Mayor happened to be frugal with city funds and we also has asset/forfeiture money due to participation on a drug task force. But here's the common denominator, whether your department issues everything or not: Thugs, mopes, dopers, robbers, burglars and wife beaters are still out there in your jurisdiction doing their thing. Go out and get their asses into custody, with the minimum force necessary. Challenge yourself to make the most felony arrests in your department. Have a good time policing. Make the best of what you have. Make your citizens happy & safe. Then your Chief will be happy.
    Stay safe!

FedAgent