Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Do State Park Rangers(Peace Officers) get any "action"?

I would think that they do a lot of visitor services and not that much law enforcement. Yet they carry guns and can arrest people. Does anyone know if they do a lot of law enforcement ? Specifically in California.

I cannot speak to CA State Park Rangers, but in the federal system, NPS Park Rangers conistently rank near the top (along with Border Patrol) of most commonly assaulted law enforcement officers.

"You're about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop!" - Patches O'Houlihan

For CA Park Rangers the amount of action will depend on where they work. From what I have seen, mos Rangers are spread pretty thin in most parts so often they rely on the other local agencies to provide back up and assistance as needed. Many work in some remote areas which can be a difficult when dealing with multiple suspects. Many state parks offer camping and people up late at night, drinking, doing drugs, or other illegal things can also pose a threat. I have seen Rangers who worked a lot of traffic enforcement and wrote a lot of tickets, others who worked a lot of drug cases (cultivation, possession, sales, etc). Others spend a lot of their day doing PR related duties. Again it depends on where you're assigned.

All Rangers have to attend a regular basic police academy in CA, so many do eventually leave the Parks system for Sheriff's or Police departments. Some do it to vary the type of work they've been doing, while most generally leave for better pay or benefits local agencies sometimes offer.

Kahuna
    Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

I work for state parks and currently and from what I can say is if you want a healthy living meaning keeping up with the CHP salary it isn't even close. However its an amazing job. I know a few rangers do alot of speeding stuff, drug busts and general park rules enforcement. The academy is about 7-7 1/2 months so its not just a basic POST. Like mentioned, if you want "action" you are more then capable to find it as a ranger- the day is how you make it. Being down south, the population is larger and the parks are heavily immersed in an urban environment which means regular PD crimes effect your park but when you go inland or north I would imagine you find less.

Quote Originally Posted by SBProbation1 View Post
    I work for state parks and currently and from what I can say is if you want a healthy living meaning keeping up with the CHP salary it isn't even close. However its an amazing job. I know a few rangers do alot of speeding stuff, drug busts and general park rules enforcement. The academy is about 7-7 1/2 months so its not just a basic POST. Like mentioned, if you want "action" you are more then capable to find it as a ranger- the day is how you make it. Being down south, the population is larger and the parks are heavily immersed in an urban environment which means regular PD crimes effect your park but when you go inland or north I would imagine you find less.
    Nice post.

Think of it as a tourist town police department. Transient crime and criminal elements...I am not certain if it was a Ranger or MSO that was shot and killed in Huntington, but whether you are stroking tickets or enforcing marine mammal act, you are enforcing the law.